The Section 103 Postgame Report

Hi Joe Morgan!

I take it you didnt read the book. It's about market inefficiency and finding unearthed talent on a shoestring budget. He claims that if he had the money he'd go after the Pujols and the Arods, but given the financial limitations a small-market team has, he has to settle for swisher and stabs at Youkillis(moneyball's poster-boy, donchaknow). His teams were ridiculously consistent given the funding he had to work with; it seems really strange to knock what he's done as though a WS is the only thing to measure someone's worth by---Bruce Pearl hasn't done this for UT and I'd still consider him a giant success if his career here ended tomorrow.

The traditional notions of scouting arent entirely useless, obviously, but the old schooler's tendency to polarize the debate with lines like that silly 'lay-up' one negate the worth of the other side of the equation(yes, numbers), but both deserve a place.
If you think numbers from the McDonald's game have any value, you're beyond help.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

If you still think that's the point, you'll never get it.
That's the only point I, and the quote, were making. You launched into an unrelated rant about a sport nobody was talking about. Good luck finding anyone in basketball who buys into blindly looking at numbers and evaluating players.

Steven Pearl averaged 25 points per game in his senior year of high school. That's all you need to know about the numbers.

That's the only point I, and the quote, were making. You launched into an unrelated rant about a sport nobody was talking about. Good luck finding anyone in basketball who buys into blindly looking at numbers and evaluating players.

I'm not entirely sure you understand how conversations and threads function; A goes to B which then in turn et cetera. Plus if you think 1 paragraph equals a rant, well....yeesh. It shouldn't take a genius to figure out how scouting in sports shares similarities across-the-ball, as it were. If you think otherwise, that's just being naive for the sake of defense. I apologize if you couldn't see the pretty clear link between the two, though. My bad.

You made claims about moneyball which were addressed and then responded to and then you followed up with a terse huffy thing.

The point--and this is a huge one which anti-stat folks forget--is that of course you should watch the game and look at how players respond to situations, work within different schemes, execute when things break down, etc., but if you ADD to that stable of knowledge some meaningful statistics you are even FURTHER ahead of those that just stick to one method.

The 'lay-up' line is posturing and pretentious, and it epitomizes bad scouting mindsets. It's also as obliquely arrogant as saying something predictive like "oh now watch, you're gonna post some dumb empty dismissal!"

Last edited:
Steven Pearl averaged 25 points per game in his senior year of high school. That's all you need to know about the numbers.

I once ate a hamburger that tasted like dirt. That's all you need to know about food.

Robert Horry went 3-for-23 in the 2005 nba playoffs. That's all you need to know about his ability.

One game, or season for that matter, probably won't tell how good someone is. But, over the course of a guy's 4 year high school career, the stats are important in telling how good someone is.

One game, or season for that matter, probably won't tell how good someone is. But, over the course of a guy's 4 year high school career, the stats are important in telling how good someone is.
Yeah, Wade Parsons scoring about 10 trillion points at Cumberand County High was certainly a great indication of his ability to contribute at a D-I school.

I once ate a hamburger that tasted like dirt. That's all you need to know about food.

Robert Horry went 3-for-23 in the 2005 nba playoffs. That's all you need to know about his ability.

One hamburger and 23 shots is just as indicative as a full season.

As was the case with the Moneyball argument, you are just hurting your chances to gain credibility

One hamburger and 23 shots is just as indicative as a full season.

As was the case with the Moneyball argument, you are just hurting your chances to gain credibility

The point is that you are neglecting context. Of course someone could eat one burger and come to a dumb decision about all of food, just as someone else can look at Pearl's highschool stats and reach a similarly dumb conclusion.

It shouldn't take a genius to parse out some of these stats. What was his competition level? How highly prized was he for a number of reasons? What should I read into the fact that he signed with his dad's school? Etc ad inf.

If you see his highschool numbers and think "that's all I need to know about numbers", well...you've lost all credibility immediately.

Be smarter and incorporate BOTH numbers and skillset and base physical atts. and schemes played within and and and and...

VN Store

Back