The Section 103 Postgame Report

Hopson has a very nice midrange jumper. I am glad to see we have some of that (other than Tyler) on the team.

Yeah. I was discussing with my roommate yesterday (an Ohio State fan) how BJ Mullens wouldn't be a top 10 player in either of last years classes. Nowhere near, in fact.
Look at it this way, does anyone in this class remotely compare to James Harden?

The best way to quantify that is that the chasm in those groups is the difference between Greg Oden and OJ Mayo as opposed to BJ Mullens and Demar DeRozan.
So who is the best Freshman out there, in your opinion? Obviously there aren't any Oden, Durant, Beasley or Rose types, and it doesn't seem like any Freshman has stood out yet either.

So who is the best Freshman out there, in your opinion? Obviously there aren't any Oden, Durant, Beasley or Rose types, and it doesn't seem like any Freshman has stood out yet either.
I'm really impressed with Greg Monroe and Kemba Walker. I haven't seen Luke Babbit yet, but everyone I talk to raves about him.

I'm really impressed with Greg Monroe and Kemba Walker. I haven't seen Luke Babbit yet, but everyone I talk to raves about him.
Gonna have to try and catch Walker and Babbit in action then.

I know it's a sham that the elite players that are ready for the pros have to come to college for one season, but that's honestly one of my favorite things about college basketball; watching some kid come straight out of high school and dominate.

Unless they're playing against UT, of course.

I would be remiss if I didn't also mention Samardo Samuels.

Gonna have to try and catch Walker and Babbit in action then.

I know it's a sham that the elite players that are ready for the pros have to come to college for one season, but that's honestly one of my favorite things about college basketball; watching some kid come straight out of high school and dominate.

Unless they're playing against UT, of course.

I wish they had to stay 2 years instead of the 1.

was Kenny George able to be in attendance for the Bulldogs? If not, any word on his health?

i thought they said something on the broadcast about him coming back this year?

Didn't get to hear all the game - but his career is pretty much over. But Randy Smith is a moron if that's who said it. He called Scotty Renaldo Woolridge and Cameron Tatum all in the same possession.

Hopson got the ball on the wing and shot a 3 and he said Woolridge shot it - then he got his own rebound off the brick and suddenly he was Cameron Tatum... neither of the two were on the court and Hopson had been out there awhile.. he proceeded to call him Tatum several more times.

Didn't get to hear all the game - but his career is pretty much over. But Randy Smith is a moron if that's who said it. He called Scotty Renaldo Woolridge and Cameron Tatum all in the same possession.

Hopson got the ball on the wing and shot a 3 and he said Woolridge shot it - then he got his own rebound off the brick and suddenly he was Cameron Tatum... neither of the two were on the court and Hopson had been out there awhile.. he proceeded to call him Tatum several more times.
:eek:lol:

That was epic. I mentioned the same thing in the game thread.

And yes, Randy did say something along the lines of, "well, we hope the big guy recovers from his foot surgery and gets back on the court real soon."

:eek:lol:

That was epic. I mentioned the same thing in the game thread.

And yes, Randy did say something along the lines of, "well, we hope the big guy recovers from his foot surgery and gets back on the court real soon."

I mean seriously... I don't understand how he could think one guy was three different people in the matter of 4 seconds.

Additions from 121:

1. The press defense has been ineffective the past couple of games. I think it's more a lack of defensive execution than teams figuring out how to beat it. We will have to improve or move to a less press-oriented approach. No doubt, UNC-A got 4-5 easy fast break baskets and we got nil from our attempt.
2. Very lackluster effort. Not much more to add there.
3. Chism and Williams are going to have to make point-blank shots, or we will lose games that we shouldn't.
4. Sub-par 3 point shooting will not work.
5. Perimeter defense is a problem.

a few thoughts from the couch ...

Hat: Couldn't agree more about Tabb. I've always felt that he's had untapped potential - now that he's getting consistent minutes, I expect his game to continue to improve.

Interesting post-game comment from Pearl: there are FOUR starting spots open. I'm assuming that the one that's safe is Tyler - then you've got Chism vs. Williams, Hopson vs. Tatum, and Woolridge vs. Prince vs. Negedu - does that mean that Maze is going to be pushed by Tabb? I don't see it happening, but you never know. I thought Maze and Tabb both had solid games, as did Tyler, obviously, with the triple double. Everyone else - meh.

Asheville is truly awful. There's really no excuse for not blowing that team out by 30 or 40 points, other than a generally flat effort. That kind of effort on the road vs. Temple this weekend = a big fat L.

Free throw shooting, which looked to be markedly improved in the first few games, has diminished back to about where it was last year. Tyler seems to be the best of the bunch. Chism, Williams, and Hopson have GOT to improve there.

VN Store

Back