The Section 103 Postgame Report.

That was my advice to someone earlier, to just calm down. Lots of premature cliff jumping after one loss, that quite frankly wasn't a huge upset. Those worried about the polls need to rearrange their priorities. This team will be fine.

Exactly. Any time spent worrying about basketball polls, especially in December, is a complete waste.

The defense was poor. Even when Tennessee stretched out the lead, it was due to shooting, instead of defense. The Seniors did what they were supposed to do tonight. They stepped up. I'm still ticked Tennessee lost. I'll try my best to avoid the board until tomorrow when I cool down.

I was thinking about #1 just by following the score at work. Trading baskets wasn't how we got to 7-0.

I made it home to watch from about 72-66 or so on. Don't blame me though. I turned the Indy game off at halftime to play in a rec league game.

I kinda forgot what losing feels like (chuckle). But after a loss like this, im more concerned about this team's personality/identity. Winning two big games in the northeast and following up with a loss at home tells me that something is missing. It's up to this team and coaches to find out what that is.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
Giving up a 13 point lead late in the second half can't happen.

Much of that evaporation happened with a lineup of McBee, Pearl, Hall, Goins, and Tatum on the floor. I still do not understand some of our substitution patterns.

Pulled for McBee for the last couple years, hoping he would turn into a D1 player, but it's not happening.
Hopson doesnt have to score 20+ points a game for us to win but he can't go and hide like tonight. SAD..
This Team, these players deserve a better showing from the fans. The attendence was embarassing from a fanbase who says they are a basketball fanbase. It is only a 10 minute walk from the car to TBA. I promise no one died tonight from the cold. Those who attended A+ for showing up. Then an absolute F for for home court advantage and the 6th man. Again if the coaching staff has to beg you for some noise this fanbase still does not understanfd the game of basketball. It's only 1 loss we will befine but we need maymon and Hopson to show up. GO VOLS...

I really didn't think he played that badly. He wasn't assertive enough on offense and his shot wasn't falling, but he was active. This team does need him to score around 20 to win against teams that can play. There is no reason for Tatum, Goins, and Williams to all take more shots than Hopson.

Any chance Bruce finally tweaks his substitution pattern/rotations? Some of these lineups he sends out there leave us with few options for offense and usually result in a run for the opponent. Oakland played several players the entire game. Bruce stood and watched Oakland make their run in the 2nd half while Goins and Williams sat on the bench. I get it, we have depth, no need to gimp our team though. Tired of these lineups of Golden, Mcbee, Tatum/Hopson, Pearl, Fields/Hall. Before Woolridge's injury he would've been in there instead of Tatum/Hopson. Seems like it really hurt us tonight.

Here's to Bone healing as fast as possible so Bruce does not have to depend on McBee for valuable minutes and Maymon providing the depth at the 4 that we need because Tobais's aggressive defense will put him in foul trouble alot like tonight......:toast:

Oakland outshot and out-rebounded the Vols tonite. I wish I knew the number of times they worked the clock down to under 5 seconds and then scored. Oakland was very patient on offense. The Golden Grizzlies are well coached and the best mid-major team we've played.

I'm @ the 16:00 mark of the 2nd. Scotty looks like Scotty of old. CRRRRRAAAAAAPPPPPP!!!!! Defense disappeared.....and my 12 year old's box out better than we are. Brian Williams is a man among boys when he wants to be.

Oh, and I think I just saw Hat on an after commercial intro. He had a pom-pom as his hair, and an Orange and white Dr Seuss tophat.

In the first half, I was very impressed with how we shot free throws. We fell apart at the line down the stretch and that was killer. You could see the pressure getting to Brian. Nonetheless, still a very good outing for him.

It was obvious early on that Oakland is a good team. They play much better than their record would indicate. They had a good night shooting too. If they would have shot like that in some of their earlier games, they probably have 2 more in the win column.

I have been pleased with the play and effort of Steven Pearl so far this year, but a couple of his fouls down the strectch killed us.

In the end though, I think our guys just weren't motivated heading into this game and it showed. Either that or our anonymous internet chatroom names didn't provide enough fodder.

The Vols are fine shouldn't blow leads, but Oakland hit a ridiculous amount of lucky shots.

Last edited:
Good post. I don't understand why people think this is a horrible loss.....its not....at all.

I imagine they mainly look at the ranking thing....treat it kinda like football (having a whole lot more understanding/ familiarity in that area)

Last edited:
huh, Hat has generally had a slightly rosier outlook on this team all year long than I have. Weird. Guess he calls it like he sees it which makes me feel good about the rest of the year. If we don't dominate Charlotte I'll start to worry. However I suspect we will come out with renewed intensity that will carry us for quite a while. There will be more losses, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're well into January before we see the next one.

Much of that evaporation happened with a lineup of McBee, Pearl, Hall, Goins, and Tatum on the floor. I still do not understand some of our substitution patterns.

You are absolutely correct. On a night when our defensive intensity was not there, we needed a line-up that had some potential to score as this was an out-score the other team game. This group is very challenged to have any real scoring options. We lost our lead during the time this group was on the floor and our starters seem to panic and make very poor decisions on the offensive end when they returned after the lead was gone. I think this team will be fine, but this is a game we should have won.

Agreed. Almost feels like Harris and/or Hopson should be on the floor at all times. Their presence creates more oppys for everyone else.

This team has regularly shown the ability to take a large lead then nurse it to a win. Unfortunately last night they ran into a buzz saw that made them pay. Typically our opponent inches back into the game, but Oakland stormed back. You could see the panic on the Vols faces, but they didn't compose themselves. Bruce needed to do a 5 man substitution and take more timeouts during the 5 minute stretch where we went from a double digit lead to a double digit deficit.

Tough night...watched on TV, crowd sounded terrible, totally asleep on TV...much like the team. Hopefully good learning experience.

Agreed. Almost feels like Harris and/or Hopson should be on the floor at all times. Their presence creates more oppys for everyone else.

I understand this point completely, but there are some obvious difficulties in trying to use a 10-man rotation when three guys really need to be playing 35 minutes each game. And I feel a lot better with Williams playing no less than 25. Dividing the other 50 minutes up between 7 players becomes a little silly, and probably just frustrates those players.

The obvious response is to just not play as deep. And maybe that wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back