The Section 103 Postgame Report.

hatvol96

1. Tennessee got away from the ferocious defense that got them to where they were. This team isn't going to win many shootouts against good teams.
2. Make no mistake, Oakland is good. The right draw will see them in the Sweet 16.
3. Missed free throws notwithstanding, Brian Williams was excellent tonight. That's among the best overall games he's had at Tennessee.
4. Melvin Goins was also tremendous. He made two fantastic defensive plays to give UT a chance late.
5. Scotty Hopson and Tobias Harris have to be the main offensive options down the stretch of close games. They deferred to the three seniors way too much late.
6. Kenny Hall showed some flashes of coming around. That would be a major boost for UT going forward.
7. Oakland did get some breaks tonight. They made some ridiculous shots late in the clock.
8. The annual "All I Want For Christmas Is You" routine by the dance team and Cops v. Firefighters basketball. That's what I call an awesome halftime.
9. Keith Benson will be a good, not exceptional, NBA player. Think a slightly better Brian Cook.
10. Tennessee really needs Jordan McRae to start playing to his ability and get in the rotation. They've got to get more bench production offensively.

10. Tennessee really needs Jordan McRae to start playing to his ability and get in the rotation. They've got to get more bench production offensively.

I feel like the bench would produce a lot more with him, Maymon, and Bone instead of Pearl, Woolridge (even though he didn't play tonight), and McBee.

1. Tennessee got away from the ferocious defense that got them to where they were. This team isn't going to win many shootouts against good teams.
2. Make no mistake, Oakland is good. The right draw will see them in the Sweet 16.
3. Missed free throws notwithstanding, Brian Williams was excellent tonight. That's among the best overall games he's had at Tennessee.
4. Melvin Goins was also tremendous. He made two fantastic defensive plays to give UT a chance late.
5. Scotty Hopson and Tobias Harris have to be the main offensive options down the stretch of close games. They deferred to the three seniors way too much late.
6. Kenny Hall showed some flashes of coming around. That would be a major boost for UT going forward.
7. Oakland did get some breaks tonight. They made some ridiculous shots late in the clock.
8. The annual "All I Want For Christmas Is You" routine by the dance team and Cops v. Firefighters basketball. That's what I call an awesome halftime.
9. Keith Benson will be a good, not exceptional, NBA player. Think a slightly better Brian Cook.

Sums it up well.

#1 stands out. giving up 89 is gonna be tough for this team to stand.

We gave up way too many easy buckets early on

It is super frustrating to see Brian and Melvin play so well all game and lose anyway

There was a point where it looked like Tobias Harris was unstoppable

There was a point where it looked like Keith Benson was unstoppable

Good post. I don't understand why people think this is a horrible loss.....its not....at all.

2--> This. Very true. Certainly not okay to lose to them like that, but not a death sentence for our season either.

8--> Who won??

Hat how much do you think this slows this squad down. I mean they were undefeated on a roll getting a lot a of hype and moving up the polls? Is this team mature enough to forget it and move on to the next opponent because they obviously couldn't do that after the pitt game

Oakland pulled several shots out of their butts tonight. And I also agree that they will be a team to watch in the tourny.

On an added note... Goins is a man-child and in my opinion our best defensive player.

Thank goodness, I didn't know what to do with myself postgame with no "Section 103" thread. I think Bruce's stupid rotations/minute distribution finally caught up with him. Scotty had a bad game, looked like he kind of shut it down after a bad start. I was really disappointed in the amount of easy offensive boards we were giving up.

Oakland seemed like a solid team. Benson is legit. The team itself made tough contested shots all game, quite a few circus shots as well. We still had no business losing to that team if we play our game.

The biggest disappointment of the night was that one firefighter who forced up one terrible NBA range three after another as soon as he dribbled down the court. Cops played some solid ball.

Oh and TBA was brutal tonight, but I suppose that's understandable.

Giving up a 13 point lead late in the second half can't happen.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Do you feel any differently about this team after the loss tonight?

I'm mildly pleased with the game. I tried online betting and won my first time out. I'm +$50.00 richer.

This is why the season ends in a tournament, games like this can be good for a team at this stage. Do you think the Indy game didn't motivate/inspire the players? We have plenty of season left and I fully expect this sorta thing to happen again.

I was excited to be getting so much play from the media about being a legit contender, but so what. Give it a few more weeks and a handful of top teams will have lost games like this, this is college basketball.

Hat how much do you think this slows this squad down. I mean they were undefeated on a roll getting a lot a of hype and moving up the polls? Is this team mature enough to forget it and move on to the next opponent because they obviously couldn't do that after the pitt game
I think they'll be fine. This is a veteran team. They got beaten by a good team having a very good night. I realize seeing them each live once is a small sample, but the talent difference between Pitt and Oakland looked negligible to me. Pitt certainly doesn't have anyone in Keith Benson's league.

Do you feel any differently about this team after the loss tonight?
Not really. Oakland is good and was going to get one of the games on their nonconference road gauntlet. Tennessee just happened to be the one. Unless the decline in defensive attention and intensity is a harbinger of things to come, it's simply a loss to a good team. Nothing more.

Pulled for McBee for the last couple years, hoping he would turn into a D1 player, but it's not happening.
Hopson doesnt have to score 20+ points a game for us to win but he can't go and hide like tonight. SAD..
This Team, these players deserve a better showing from the fans. The attendence was embarassing from a fanbase who says they are a basketball fanbase. It is only a 10 minute walk from the car to TBA. I promise no one died tonight from the cold. Those who attended A+ for showing up. Then an absolute F for for home court advantage and the 6th man. Again if the coaching staff has to beg you for some noise this fanbase still does not understanfd the game of basketball. It's only 1 loss we will befine but we need maymon and Hopson to show up. GO VOLS...

Pulled for McBee for the last couple years, hoping he would turn into a D1 player, but it's not happening.
Hopson doesnt have to score 20+ points a game for us to win but he can't go and hide like tonight. SAD..
This Team, these players deserve a better showing from the fans. The attendence was embarassing from a fanbase who says they are a basketball fanbase. It is only a 10 minute walk from the car to TBA. I promise no one died tonight from the cold. Those who attended A+ for showing up. Then an absolute F for for home court advantage and the 6th man. Again if the coaching staff has to beg you for some noise this fanbase still does not understanfd the game of basketball. It's only 1 loss we will befine but we need maymon and Hopson to show up. GO VOLS...
Not everyone lives in Knoxville, still alot of ice and snow out there for surrounding areas. Also not all students live in Knoxville so it's just not possible for some reason. Yes I agree attendance should be better, but I'll give people a break tonight. Now noise is another story, I was pretty disappointed in that department. People made noise in the closing minutes when they realized it was going to be a tight finish. But it's pretty disappointing when the loudest the crowd gets is when it's announced that our next home game is against USC.

Not really. Oakland is good and was going to get one of the games on their nonconference road gauntlet. Tennessee just happened to be the one. Unless the decline in defensive attention and intensity is a harbinger of things to come, it's simply a loss to a good team. Nothing more.

Word of the night so far, IMO

I think they'll be fine. This is a veteran team. They got beaten by a good team having a very good night. I realize seeing them each live once is a small sample, but the talent difference between Pitt and Oakland looked negligible to me. Pitt certainly doesn't have anyone in Keith Benson's league.

That was my advice to someone earlier, to just calm down. Lots of premature cliff jumping after one loss, that quite frankly wasn't a huge upset. Those worried about the polls need to rearrange their priorities. This team will be fine.

I just finished watching the game (recorded) and have to say I'm not surprised. Oakland was primed for this, but I am disappointed with the defense and obviously the lack of offensive production after the first several minutes of the second half. However, I do expect the team to rebound nicely from this loss.

It was a strange game. We looked really good in some stretches, and sleepwalked through others.

VN Store

Back