The SEC is trying to form a super-conference with the ACC and Big12

I'm sure it's been said already but there's too many posts to read through. IMO, it's not about the SEC taking over or creating a super conference that breaks away from the NCAA. It's trying to have enough teams compete so that you could crown a national champion. I'm sorry but you can't have a national champ if there's only one conference competing but if you have 3 then you could have a playoff with the 3 conference champions and one at large bid. That way national champions actually has meaning this year.

Honestly it's about so much more than just another national championship game. A story this morning I read says publicly held Atlanta Braves organization's revenue is down 95% this season. They're operating at over a $20 some million loss right now compared to being over $60 million in the black at the same point last year. Braves’ finances hit hard: 95% drop in revenue; employee pay cuts This is going to kill college sports. There might be programs that never recover from a covid shut down.

Last edited:
Honestly it's about so much more than just another national championship game. A story this morning I read says publicly held Atlanta Braves organization's revenue is down 95% this season. They're operating at over a $20 some million loss right now compared to being over $60 million in the black at the same point last year. Braves’ finances hit hard: 95% drop in revenue; employee pay cuts This is going to kill college sports. There might be programs that never recover from a covid shut down.

They may suffer in the short term but they will be fine. Tennessee operated in the red for a while and it was fine. The reason the Braves and every other MLB team is in the hole is because they are playing games WITHOUT fans. They have to pay players and operate the stadium and all the staff without fans spending money. This is why the owners in baseball wanted to wait and wait and minimize the number of games they had to play with empty stadium. Playing sports with empty stadiums is worse for profits than not playing at all.

They may suffer in the short term but they will be fine. Tennessee operated in the red for a while and it was fine. The reason the Braves and every other MLB team is in the hole is because they are playing games WITHOUT fans. They have to pay players and operate the stadium and all the staff without fans spending money. This is why the owners in baseball wanted to wait and wait and minimize the number of games they had to play with empty stadium. Playing sports with empty stadiums is worse for profits than not playing at all.

But if you don't play, doesn't that nullify TV contracts?

Reactions: Purple Tiger
But if you don't play, doesn't that nullify TV contracts?

I haven't read every line of these contracts, but it's unlikely that choosing to postpone the season due to a global pandemic would render the contract null and void. I'm sure there will be some negotiations regarding whether ESPN, Fox, etc get an option for an extra year and perhaps some other stuff along those lines, but the contract itself will still be in effect.

Reactions: NashVol11 and tbh
What I believe will end up happening is that all football will be cancelled. No university or conference wants to be the one to get a player killed for profit. It would permanently ruin their reputation in the nation and media. Recruits would begin to look elsewhere to play college football if they feel like the conference doesnt have their back.
So why have football at all?

What would be the goal in doing this? "Saving the season" is nebulous. How would forming a "super-conference" save the season?

Because anyone playing and winning this fall becomes the champion. The Big 10 has already opted out and says they won't to play until spring and you can bet if the PAC 12 joins them, they'll both scream the NC cannot be claimed until they play the following spring.

EFF 'EM. Play ball.

Because anyone playing and winning this fall becomes the champion. The Big 10 has already opted out and says they won't to play until spring and you can bet if the PAC 12 joins them, they'll both scream the NC cannot be claimed until they play the following spring.

EFF 'EM. Play ball.

I doubt that naming a champion is terribly high on the list of concerns right now.

I haven't read every line of these contracts, but it's unlikely that choosing to postpone the season due to a global pandemic would render the contract null and void. I'm sure there will be some negotiations regarding whether ESPN, Fox, etc get an option for an extra year and perhaps some other stuff along those lines, but the contract itself will still be in effect.

I'm by no means an attorney, but would (could?) this fall under force majeure? Maybe not in the sense of nullification outright, but opening the door to negotiations on something mutually acceptable given the circumstances like you mentioned?

I doubt that naming a champion is terribly high on the list of concerns right now.

Then why play a &^%$ing game at all? Kill the sport if championships are not to be considered. We'll have to agree to disagree. Lomabrdi said it although the quote has been atrributed to others prior to him however it remains true for many who participate at championship levels in sports. "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." "Coming in second is first loser." BUDS

Saban made the best comment yesterday I have heard so far. He said: some people are acting like these kids can only get covid if they play FB This is not the exact quote for you sticklers for accuracy but close enough.

How much detail did you expect? I am not posting a thesis. If you can’t figure it out, do a little research. Or just keep believing what the media presents and stop having a life.

I don't believe anything they or the government says. I rarely wear a mask. I'm in front of the public 3 times a week in a retail side job. I'm in contact with installers on the day job that travel the region, and beyond. I have been in all the stores since day one and didn't catch a thing. I very, very rarely get sick. didn't even catch a cold this year. If I did have it already, I assumed it was something generic like rhino. There will be no needle in my arm for the crap of a vaccine they will be offering.

I'm by no means an attorney, but would (could?) this fall under force majeure? Maybe not in the sense of nullification outright, but opening the door to negotiations on something mutually acceptable given the circumstances like you mentioned?

It could, I suppose. I just don't know that the networks would be inclined to push that issue.

Reactions: NashVol11 and tbh
I don't believe anything they or the government says. I rarely wear a mask. I'm in front of the public 3 times a week in a retail side job. I'm in contact with installers on the day job that travel the region, and beyond. I have been in all the stores since day one and didn't catch a thing. I very, very rarely get sick. didn't even catch a cold this year. If I did have it already, I assumed it was something generic like rhino. There will be no needle in my arm for the crap of a vaccine they will be offering.
A bit more extreme than my intent for the post, but I agree.

Reactions: vols555
The force majeure clauses are a major contention point. But they are generally construed narrowly. After swine flu, some forward thinking (or paranoid) lawyers added “pandemic“ to their clauses. So the specific mentioning of it certainly helps, because it exemplifies the parties contemplated the situation being covered. But that wasn’t a wide spread practice. Another wrinkle is under force majeure, it generally must be shown it’s completely out of your power to perform. Financial infeasibility generally isn’t a good enough reason. So the question becomes at what point can you justifiably throw your hands up and say it simply can’t be done, end of story. The reality is I don’t think anyone can say for sure how this would shake out, because it’s unprecedented. Likely compromises will be made on both sides of the issue.

Disclaimer: This isn’t legal advice, and don’t rely upon it as such.

Then why play a &^%$ing game at all? Kill the sport if championships are not to be considered. We'll have to agree to disagree. Lomabrdi said it although the quote has been atrributed to others prior to him however it remains true for many who participate at championship levels in sports. "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." "Coming in second is first loser." BUDS
Keep in mind that the sport existed about 100 years before there was even an official championship.

These types of efforts could be a silver lining. It could result in a true champion playoff system.

I'm sure it's been said already but there's too many posts to read through. IMO, it's not about the SEC taking over or creating a super conference that breaks away from the NCAA. It's trying to have enough teams compete so that you could crown a national champion. I'm sorry but you can't have a national champ if there's only one conference competing but if you have 3 then you could have a playoff with the 3 conference champions and one at large bid. That way national champions actually has meaning this year.

I don't think this year should even be about having a National Championship playoff. Remember when the champion was just voted on at end of year? It will certainly have an affect on the bowl game business, but they will probably just skip this year.
No matter how many teams participate this year the champion would always be tainted. This year should be just about a very simple season and focus on survival of the sport.

VN Store

Back