The perfect new UT coach is unemployed

Cooleyvol

Bill Cowher is now unemployed, albeit by his own decision.

This post is tongue in cheek, but I'd love to see Bill prowling the UT sidelines.

We've got a head coach

What we need is a Runnings Back coach

this is like the 4th time you've posted that w/ nothing behind it. again roper is highly touted by all of his peers and it's his first year. There's very few barry sanders in this world that can be 1000 yd backs w/out an offensive line. wake up and realize the problem has been evident for the past few years

Bill Cowher is now unemployed, albeit by his own decision.

This post is tongue in cheek, but I'd love to see Bill prowling the UT sidelines.

that would be an awesome sight...

I have a buddy thats a huge NC State fan and this dude was so convinced that he was the next Wolfpack coach. He built a big house in Raleigh and that was his proof. Plus you know he played linebacker at NCState back in the day.

Also anyone listen to 99.3 The Animal last night with Wilkerson. Some caller called in and said something about Fisher coaching the Vols. I know it will never in a million years happen because he is on hell of a NFL coach but one can only wish.

so i know we just suffered through the nick saban lies but.....

why would cowher retire to spend time w/ his wife and daughter in Raleigh, NC and ultimately wind up in Knoxville, TN. He's a legend in Pittsburgh (deserved or not, that's a separate argument) and has no reason to leave that team.

Bill Cowher is going to be the next coach for the Carolina Panthers. Think about it. Yes it fits perfectly.

so i know we just suffered through the nick saban lies but.....

why would cowher retire to spend time w/ his wife and daughter in Raleigh, NC and ultimately wind up in Knoxville, TN. He's a legend in Pittsburgh (deserved or not, that's a separate argument) and has no reason to leave that team.

Not to mention the UT job is not currently on the market.

as a steeler fan, i can't say that i'm excited about Cowher leaving, but at teh same time Cowher is a lot like Fulmer.

they have been fixtures in post season.

they each have one championship.

they each have two conference championships.

they each have similar philosophies on how things should be done.

both programs have long, storied traditions. both coaches are longest tenure in their leagues.

both replaced legends.

and both have have at one point or another had their respective fan bases split on loyalties.

Cowher's shine is a little greater right now as he is only 1 year removed from his championship. Fulmer is 8. that's the biggest difference in the two right now.

so, in my estimation, you are basically just getting the professional equivalent of Phil Fulmer.

Bill Cowher is going to be the next coach for the Carolina Panthers. Think about it. Yes it fits perfectly.
Now that, i would not have a problem with. the panthers are built around the same basic principles as the steelers, have similar styles....cowher in Charlotte would be great imo.

Scenario sets up nice for the vols. Give Fulmer next year, let Cowher relax for a year and get his juices flowing again, let Gruden struggle with TB another year and then we have a nice option for HC.

Unlike Fulmer, Cowher was never one of the highest paid NFL coaches.

Fulmer has had better players on his level than Cowher. The Steelers aren't a team to pay big bucks for players where at UT, facilities and other factors should make recruiting good players a given.

Comparing teenagers and grown adults in this area is tricky, but Fulmer has less commitment to discipline than Cowher.

Unlike Fulmer, Cowher was never one of the highest paid NFL coaches.

Fulmer has had better players on his level than Cowher. The Steelers aren't a team to pay big bucks for players where at UT, facilities and other factors should make recruiting good players a given.

Comparing teenagers and grown adults in this area is tricky, but Fulmer has less commitment to discipline than Cowher.
point one, see the Rooney family vs. UT admin and boosters.
point two...i agree.

point one, see the Rooney family vs. UT admin and boosters.

Just saying performance & expectations should mirror compensation. Fulmer has been one of the highest paid coaches for close to a decade and done exactly squat in that time. Cowher was an average paid coach for his entire tenure yet performed better than average.

Plus remember the big feud Cowher had with Steelers GM Tom Donohoe in the late 90's that ended with Donohoe going to Buffalo and screwing up that organization. That's the one item that makes NFL/NCAA comparisons difficult, a college coach is responsible for who he puts on the field. In most cases, NFL coaches aren't.

VN Store

Back