The Pembroke Postgame Report.

People that play hard D usually get beat, a lot. The foul was dumb, period. He was put on this team to do one thing and he hasn't done it. If he's not 40-45% from behind the arc, he's worthless. I don't see him shooting above 35% this year.

I completely disagree with everyone who is hating on McBee. He is playing hard nose defense and helping out at the point guard position. I think that three he barely missed at the end of the game would have changed a lot of your opinions. He is really playing tough and making smart decisions. He had to run through a double screen to try and get to that 3 point shooter and barely touched him. That was nothing but effort, not a dumb foul, I know it was at a crucial point in the game. He will be a contributor to this team and I think he is a very hard worker and smart basketball player. OBVIOUSLY BRUCE PEARL DOES TOO OR ELSE HE WOULDN'T BE ON THE FLOOR.

Woolridge on the other hand sucks and needs to give up basketball and be banned from ever shooting a 3 pointer again in a Tennessee uniform. The 3 or so three pointers he took were nowhere close to going in and even worse he sat and watched his shot and didn't try to follow to grab his bricks. McRae, Hall, Pearl, whoever, need to play instead of him.

Overall, I am happy for B. Williams to finally step up and start playing well. Golden has great vision, I can really see him being a very good point guard for us. He dished some beautiful passes, but we have got to convert contested layups. Instead of driving and banking layups we have to take it into players and draw fouls or dish near the rim.

Mcbee is on the floor because we have no other 2 guards with Bone out injured. Blame it on Pearl for not recruiting a single 2 guard (that he plays at 2 guard) for the last few years.

Who else are we going to use right now as Hopson's backup?

I really hope Bone is playing well enough to take all his minutes when he gets back, because Mcbee will not get it done against SEC guards on offense or defense.

McBee's defense is trash. He is rarely in the right area and is not quick enough to guard the PG but too small to guard anyone else. He is also a liability on offense. Hell, I could hit a three and a wide open lay-up in a game too. No reason for him to be playing.

"But he has heart and a great work ethic.... and, and, he's a local product."

Maymon better impress me and Bone better come back ready to go. A lineup at times consisting of Pearl, McBee, and Woolridge isn't going to cut it against solid teams.

McBee's defense is trash. He is rarely in the right area and is not quick enough to guard the PG but too small to guard anyone else. He is also a liability on offense. Hell, I could hit a three and a wide open lay-up in a game too. No reason for him to be playing.

"But he has heart and a great work ethic.... and, and, he's a local product."

You left out the "he hits free throws".

I'm really impressed with Trae Golden. Dude handled the pressure really well and had some great assists. I like the freshman.

Was there a reason Mcrae didn't play other than him being a freshman? I figured we would see him some with our frequent rotations at the 2 and 3.

Was there a reason Mcrae didn't play other than him being a freshman? I figured we would see him some with our frequent rotations at the 2 and 3.

You'll see him a lot when he figures it out. Pearl had finally established that if you don't play D, you don't play.

I expect he will play his way ahead of Mcbee by January.

You'll see him a lot when he figures it out. Pearl had finally established that if you don't play D, you don't play.

I expect he will play his way ahead of Mcbee by January.

Glad to hear it. I would like Mcbee a whole lot more if he would drive it to the rim every once in a while. Even if he doesn't score he may draw a foul or at least get someone else open. The passes at the top of the key for the first 10-15 seconds of each posession kill me.

Glad to hear it. I would like Mcbee a whole lot more if he would drive it to the rim every once in a while. Even if he doesn't score he may draw a foul or at least get someone else open. The passes at the top of the key for the first 10-15 seconds of each posession kill me.
Exactly who do you think McBee is going to beat off the dribble?

He did play solid defense tonight during that 10-0 run, to my surprise, especially considering how much more athleticism the guy he was guarding had.

I don't think going 7-1 during the suspension would be a major feat. Five of the eight games are vs. the SEC West which should be dominated by the East this year. We play Florida and Vandy at home and only one Top 25 team during that stretch. 6-2 is very possible.

UCLA is clearly a better matchup, but I really want to see if we could handle Nova.

Agreed on Woolidge and Mcbee. The sooner Bruce fixes his rotations, the better. Brian, Cameron, Trae, and Scotty all played well. Really disappointed how few touches Tobias got in the 2nd half. Steven played tough as well. It was ugly but I'll take it. Wasn't impressed by VCU at all, we really kept them in the game. Hat, what's your take on the Villanova matchup?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'll save the typing and echo your sentiments on Wool and McBee. They are a complete liability. Harris needs more, but it will come with time. I had to laugh when Pearl and McBee ran the breakaway.

All in all, good defense and a nice win. Glad that VCU couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for most of the game.

I don't think going 7-1 during the suspension would be a major feat. Five of the eight games are vs. the SEC West which should be dominated by the East this year. We play Florida and Vandy at home and only one Top 25 team during that stretch. 6-2 is very possible.

If this team were full of upperclassman leadership, I'd agree. I'm leery of how the freshmen will handle his absence. Scotty, Tatum, Goins, and Williams will have to play some dang good ball to win 6-7.

First team rebounding and Golden's assists were two important keys to this game. Hopson had 11 (!) rebounds? I know it's been said but this was his most complete game as a Vol. Couldn't be happier for the players for a game well played and defended!

I'd really like to see Golden getting the majority of mins at the backup 2. I want to see Goins and Golden on the floor together.

VN Store

Back