The Pembroke Postgame Report.

hatvol96

1. That was some exceptional halfcourt defense by Tennessee. Shooting can be fickle, but you can guard hard every night if you choose.
2. That's as good an all around game as I've seen Hopson have. He was seriously strong on the boards.
3. However, his fifth foul was utter silliness. A junior has to be smarter than that.
4. Fran Fraschilla obviously thinks UT is really, really good. Winning seven of the eight games during Pearl's suspension would be a major feat.
5. Woolridge and McBee are doing nothing to merit playing time. Hopefully, Maymon and Bone can do enough to root them to the bench.
6. Goins and Golden both did a nice job of not getting baited into the tempo VCU wanted. Not getting in a 94 foot game was essential to the win.
7. This game reminded me how much I like Pearl's philosophical change. VCU's shot selection made me want to vomit.
8. Brian Williams was a rock down the stretch. Tennessee needs that type of play out of him on a consistent basis.
9. Why the Hell was Doris Burke part of the broadcast? I'm pretty sure Fraschilla has been at this long enough to handle the color himself.
10. All in all, a solid win against a game opponent. Now, it's time to chase hardware Friday.

Last edited:
I hope McBee is gone soon. Too bad he's too white to get himself kicked off the team.

/racist.

I thought they said her name when they first went to the game and I thought I misunderstood. Sadly I was wrong. Gotta love the 4 man team.

And agree on Hopson. Best game I've seen him play yet.

is steven pearl getting more consistent or what? that is really quick for his size and isn't afraid to bang heads.

Get Swiperboy a turntable to keep him from shooting. Somebody tell him the real reason he gets open looks.

I liked watching Williams lay that one ram out, and throw another to the floor later while collecting a rebound. The guy can be a serious strength this season if he plays mean like that.

Woolridge is really puzzling. He has the body to be so dangerous, but just doesn't use it. His three point shots are like turnovers. I also hope Maymon takes his minutes.

I couldn't stand McBee last year, but he isn't as much of a waste of space this year as last, imo. I do agree that Bone would be an upgrade.

I loved the three ball Renaldo hoisted when VCU was on a run and had cut it to 5. Williams sucked the first 30 minutes of the game, but made up for it down the stretch. Hopson played well. VCU's transition defense sucked and Tennessee did a good job of exposing that, mainly Hopson.

1. That was some exceptional halfcourt defense by Tennessee. Shooting can be fickle, but you can guard hard every night if you choose.
2. That's as good an all around game as I've seen Hopson have. He was seriously strong on the boards.
3. However, his fifth foul was utter silliness. A junior has to be smarter than that.
4. Fran Fraschilla obviously thinks UT is really, really good. Winning seven of the eight games during Pearl's suspension would be a major feat.
5. Woolridge and McBee are doing nothing to merit playing time. Hopefully, Maymon and Bone can do enough to root them to the bench.
6. Goins and Golden both did a nice job of not getting baited into the tempo VCU wanted. Not getting in a 94 foot game was essential to the win.
7. This game reminded me how much I like Pearl's philosophical change. VCU's shot selection made me want to vomit.
8. Brian Williams was a rock down the stretch. Tennessee needs that type of play out of him on a consistent basis.
9. Why the Hell was Doris Burke part of the broadcast? I'm pretty sure Fraschilla has been at this long enough to handle the color himself.
10. All in all, a solid win against a game opponent. Now, it's time to chase hardware Friday.
Great point Hat, it worked for a year or two for the Vols but that style of playing is so streaky. If your hot you can beat anybody in the country, if you are cold you can lose to anybody in the country.

I liked watching Williams lay that one ram out, and throw another to the floor later while collecting a rebound. The guy can be a serious strength this season if he plays mean like that.

Woolridge is really puzzling. He has the body to be so dangerous, but just doesn't use it. His three point shots are like turnovers. I also hope Maymon takes his minutes.

I couldn't stand McBee last year, but he isn't as much of a waste of space this year as last, imo. I do agree that Bone would be an upgrade.

mcbee can help with the press, but we need Bone to play more. he's stronger and drive better to the board.

mcbee can help with the press, but we need Bone to play more. he's stronger and drive better to the board.

Getting Bone back from his injury and Maymon becoming eligible should give a little boost to this team. Hopefully.

Agreed on Woolidge and Mcbee. The sooner Bruce fixes his rotations, the better. Brian, Cameron, Trae, and Scotty all played well. Really disappointed how few touches Tobias got in the 2nd half. Steven played tough as well. It was ugly but I'll take it. Wasn't impressed by VCU at all, we really kept them in the game. Hat, what's your take on the Villanova matchup?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Agreed on Woolidge and Mcbee. The sooner Bruce fixes his rotations, the better. Brian, Cameron, Trae, and Scotty all played well. Really disappointed how few touches Tobias got in the 2nd half. Steven played tough as well. It was ugly but I'll take it. Wasn't impressed by VCU at all, we really kept them in the game. Hat, what's your take on the Villanova matchup?
Posted via VolNation Mobile
If Villanova is the opponent, I'll be interested to see if UT's perimeter defense can handle Fisher, Wayns, and Stokes.

Hat, who's the more favorable matchup for us, and can you give a quick rundown of how you see them or what I as a fan should look for in this second game?

I know nothing about them except reputation.

Thanks.

Hat, who's the more favorable matchup for us, and can you give a quick rundown of how you see them or what I as a fan should look for in this second game?

Thanks.

A top 10 team or a bad UCLA team by their standards.. I wonder which could be the more favorable matchup?

Thanks.
Villanova would be the much tougher matchup for UT. Their guards are really good offensively and I think the Vols would have a real tough time scoring with them.

UCLA is very limited offensively and would be tailor made for UT. The Bruins would struggle to break 60 if Tennessee defended like they did tonight.

I completely disagree with everyone who is hating on McBee. He is playing hard nose defense and helping out at the point guard position. I think that three he barely missed at the end of the game would have changed a lot of your opinions. He is really playing tough and making smart decisions. He had to run through a double screen to try and get to that 3 point shooter and barely touched him. That was nothing but effort, not a dumb foul, I know it was at a crucial point in the game. He will be a contributor to this team and I think he is a very hard worker and smart basketball player. OBVIOUSLY BRUCE PEARL DOES TOO OR ELSE HE WOULDN'T BE ON THE FLOOR.

Woolridge on the other hand sucks and needs to give up basketball and be banned from ever shooting a 3 pointer again in a Tennessee uniform. The 3 or so three pointers he took were nowhere close to going in and even worse he sat and watched his shot and didn't try to follow to grab his bricks. He also had a ton of reach in fouls the refs luckly didn't call. McRae, Hall, Pearl, whoever, need to play instead of him.

Overall, I am happy for B. Williams to finally step up and start playing well. Golden has great vision, I can really see him being a very good point guard for us. He dished some beautiful passes, but we have got to convert contested layups. Instead of driving and banking layups we have to take it into players and draw fouls or dish near the rim.

VN Store

Back