The Pembroke Postgame Report: Nothing But Pride Edition.

I am still under the impression that he will request a transfer to Washington. I could very well be mis-informed.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I hope hatvols predictions about Dooley are as accurate as his predictions about Pearl. After his "he will not be here 3 years from now" predictions were wrong, he stuck around. Now he is forced to stop saying Pearl cant coach. If Dooley has anywhere near the success Bruce has had, I will be ecstatic.
You and 99.9 % of Vol Nation. Tell it like it is.

10. Anyone who wonders why I was so fervent in my wish to sign Jayvaughn Pinkston, I give you Draymon Green. Burly, powerful guys who can handle the ball and step out on the the floor are gold in the college game.[/QUOTE]

Can they hit free throws?

If Fooley gets UT to a BCS bowl, I'll be the first to eat the crow.

Fooley? Are you 12?

By the way your posts have read, you would think the action of walking and chewing gum from Dooley would make you "eat the crow."

Stop obsessing over a coaches 3 year stint at one of the worst locations in Div-1 for football success when trying to paint a smeared picture of him as a coach.

I can show you how flawed that argument is just by throwing out a few names...
Dennis Green, Jim Caldwell, George Seifert, and to make it hit closer to home, Johnny Majors.

Why did I bring these coaches up? because they were all successful head coaches in the grand scheme of things even though the footwork at their first college job wasn't very pretty.

All 4 combined to average 3 wins a year at their first head coaching gigs.

He's brought in a good staff. He got some important guys back on board who were def off post-CLK. And last but not least, he shuts the ^&*# up and goes to work without saying dumb things in a vain attempt to gain national attention to spark the minds of 18 year olds across the country.

The least you can do is to stop popping off and using terms like "sheep" when arguing with posters who actually have an original thought, unlike yourself.

Might want to do your research again on LaTech pre-Dooley.

Please enlighten us on your vast knowledge of the glory days of LaTech football?

The last time this alleged gem of southern football won 8 or more games in back to back seasons, George Bush Sr. was in office.

Fooley? Are you 12?

By the way your posts have read, you would think the action of walking and chewing gum from Dooley would make you "eat the crow."

Stop obsessing over a coaches 3 year stint at one of the worst locations in Div-1 for football success when trying to paint a smeared picture of him as a coach.

I can show you how flawed that argument is just by throwing out a few names...
Dennis Green, Jim Caldwell, George Seifert, and to make it hit closer to home, Johnny Majors.

Why did I bring these coaches up? because they were all successful head coaches in the grand scheme of things even though the footwork at their first college job wasn't very pretty.

All 4 combined to average 3 wins a year at their first head coaching gigs.

He's brought in a good staff. He got some important guys back on board who were def off post-CLK. And last but not least, he shuts the ^&*# up and goes to work without saying dumb things in a vain attempt to gain national attention to spark the minds of 18 year olds across the country.

The least you can do is to stop popping off and using terms like "sheep" when arguing with posters who actually have an original thought, unlike yourself.

Didn't majors win a national championship?

Edit: Nevermind, his first job was Iowa State.

That's harder for me to say than it would be in basketball, since I'm not as confident as to who would have been available. Kevin Sumlin comes to mind.

Defense wins in the SEC. If Sumlin couldn't keep teams from averaging 30pts a game while playing in CUSA, he would have gotten eaten alive in the SEC.

I'll take my chances with the man who knows what it's like having to compete against top tier talent with a football program who's budget resembles the amount of property damaged caused by an F-5 tornado touching down in Fyffe, AL.

A thread dedicated to the unshapely beauty of Tennessee's basketball season has been twisted into a dooley-hating thread. This is ridiculous... take your "insight into the future" and shove it up your butt, or at least take it to the FOOTBALL FORUM.

Back to the topic... Brian Williams has been magnificent throughout the tournament. He will be the cornerstone, a very big cornerstone, of our team next year, and I feel comfortable in his hands. Melvin Goins was great defensively, as well as good controlling the offense and shooting the ball. Hopson needs some work, but the sky is the limit. I abhor the idea of not having Chism, Prince, and Maze in Tennessee jerseys anymore... but they have taken my pride for Tennessee basketball to a whole new level. And above all else, GO VOLS!!!

Please enlighten us on your vast knowledge of the glory days of LaTech football?

The last time this alleged gem of southern football won 8 or more games in back to back seasons, George Bush Sr. was in office.
Gary Crowton did just as well at Tech as Dooley. Ask BYU fans what a gem that fool is.

While the Vols put together an unexpectedly strong run, it's an opportunity lost because the team and really come together, was playing quite well--and this was not a vintage or great MSU team. A good team, yes, but definitely not a great team; was without it's best player. Getting to the regional finals is hard even when you're very good, so I for one have some regrets we couldn't get it done. I too have criticized Prince quite a bit--but he was VERY good in the tournament, as were Chism, Maze and Williams. Big effort from Williams yesterday--he gave.

If Dooley has anywhere near the success Bruce has had, I will be ecstatic.

If by that you mean that we will all be happy with no wins in an SEC championship game and no appearance in a BCS Bowl (which I would consider the equivalent of a Final Four in BB), then I would disagree.

By no means is this meant as a shot at UT hoops, but you are comparing apples and oranges.

Where are the mods? Can we please keep the football crap out of this forum? Its irrelevant.

I'm proud of this team for the most part. They really played hard, and played with guts. They didn't play smart all the time, but I can live with that as long as the effort is there.

The only problem I have is with Hopson, and with Pearl for deciding to keep him in there. As long as I live, I will not and cannot understand that decision.

I have been down on Williams over the past couple of years but he stepped his game up in this tournament. I also liked the leadership qualities he showed with his interaction with Hopson. He will always be a limited player but he did what he was there to do pretty well IMO.

Hopson has a long way to go, I only hope he takes a big step forward going into next season, if we want another successful team he absolutely has to.

Gary Crowton did just as well at Tech as Dooley. Ask BYU fans what a gem that fool is.

Stick to Basketball.... If you're going to bash a football coach at least do your research before doing so. He lost to LSU by 7, and kept Boise State in a close game all with 2 and 3 star talent. the guy can COACH.

on topic... The basketball team has had a very good year, Congrats to each and every player. Goins will be solid at PG next year. I feel alot better about him after his play in the tourny.

Last edited:
no vitriol. not pinning it on 1 player. there were other mistakes down the stretch as well. hopson has played the way he played today for about 2 years now... save 4 or 5 games. (having good games against unc-ash, CofC and E.Car doesn't count)

he hurts our team more than he helps.

Why don't you get with CBP and let him know he has been making a mistake by starting him. I am sure Pearl would like the input of a self-annointed know-it-all. Seriously, you think you know better than our coach? It wouldn't surprise me after reading a season's worth of your drivel.

With one exception noted below, I'm going to skip by all of the specific discussion and simply say that I couldn't be prouder, or more surprised, by this team. If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that we would lose Tyler Smith, then advance to the regional final only to lose by 1 to Michigan St, I would have thought you were out of your mind.

Somehow, through all the adversity, the team figured out how to play defense, how to score in the half-court, and how to give the tough, timely effort that is demanded to succeed during tournament time. Hat's off to the '10 Vols :hi:

he hurts our team more than he helps.

In one short sentence the ignorance and emotional blindness that seems to infect internet message boards is epitomized. Scotty has not yet figured out how to reach his potential. There is absolutely no question that UT is a better team with him than without.

Yup, as frustrating as Scotty has been here in his first two years much like JP he is going to be integral to our success in his last two. He's a borderline NBA athlete with rarely seen length in the college game, and he has a quality three point shot. If he just makes incremental improvements in his ballhandling and mental game he will be the best and most important player on the team next year.

I pray that Bruce sticks with this style of play next year

IF we have a similar team makeup next year , then I agree with you. IF we have a smaller quicker tream, then I hope to see a return of the ball stealing, hard pressing team of a couple of years ago. I think that is the genius of Coach Pearl. He coaches to our strengths. If this year didn't prove that, nothing will. He should be a shoe-in for Coach of the Year.

Thank you for a great run BIG ORANGE!

IF we have a similar team makeup next year , then I agree with you. IF we have a smaller quicker tream, then I hope to see a return of the ball stealing, hard pressing team of a couple of years ago. I think that is the genius of Coach Pearl. He coaches to our strengths. If this year didn't prove that, nothing will. He should be a shoe-in for Coach of the Year.

Thank you for a great run BIG ORANGE!

We'll be roughly the same size starting, but off the bench we'll be smaller. I envision a pressing aggressive bench mob and a slower, more methodical group when we have Brian Williams on the floor.

If by that you mean that we will all be happy with no wins in an SEC championship game and no appearance in a BCS Bowl (which I would consider the equivalent of a Final Four in BB), then I would disagree.

By no means is this meant as a shot at UT hoops, but you are comparing apples and oranges.

Not too good at math eh? 300 + bb teams we got to the final 8. Only 100+ FB subd teams bcs bowls= 8 teams. 8 is between 5-7% of the fb teams dep on the #. And 8 of the 300 plus is somewhere around 2%. So the elite8 is a HUGE deal.

VN Store

Back