The Official Tennessee vs. South Alabama Game Thread, 7:30 PM ET, ESPNU

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
Tennessee Volunteers: 5-5 (3-4 SEC)

FEG9TbVX0AAFhTD

vs.

South Alabama Jaguars: 5-5 (2-5 Sun Belt)

45eGpgfX

GAME 11 | NOV. 20, 2021 | 7:30 P.M. ET | KNOXVILLE, TENN. | NEYLAND STADIUM (102,455)

Weather: Hi: 55 / Low: 38 // Precip: 0%

Line: UT -28
O/U: 61.5

TV: ESPN U / Watch
Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:
Sirius Ch. 137 // XM Ch. 190 // Online: Ch. 961
Online: WatchESPN App

South Alabama Game Notes

FEPplXMXwAsFwQZ

Last edited:
NEED TO KNOW

Salute to Service Game
Saturday will serve as Tennessee's "Salute to Service" game. There will be a C-17 flyover for the Vol Walk. During halftime, there will be a Joint Contracting Ceremony with Army and Air Force ROTC Cadets and the Pride of the Southland Band will perform a Salute to Service patriotic themed halftime show, which will include a live performance by country music singer-songwriter Lee Greenwood.

Points Aplenty
With 361 points, Tennessee has already eclipsed its final point total from the four previous seasons. That tally is the most through the first 10 games of a season at UT since the 1995 team (26 years ago) scored 399 through its first 10 games.

The Vols' 344 points rank 17th in the FBS and third in the SEC. UT is averaging 36.1 points per game, good for 17th in the FBS and fourth in the SEC. In SEC-only games, the Vols are putting up 33.3 ppg, which is second in the SEC. Josh Heupel coached teams have scored at least 14 points in every game (46 games) and scored at least 20 points in 44 of 46 games.

Tillman on a Tear
Redshirt junior wideout Cedric Tillman has emerged as one of the SEC's top receivers this season, ranking fifth in the conference with a team-high 725 receiving yards, tied for seventh with six touchdown catches and tied for ninth with 46 receptions. In conference-only games, Tillman ranks second in the SEC in receiving yards per game (93.9), second in TD catches (5) and second in receiving yards (657). He is tied for the SEC lead in SEC-only games in 20+ yard catches (10), 30+ yard catches (5), 40+ yard catches (3) and 50+ yard catches (3).

In last week's loss to top-ranked Georgia, Tillman set career highs with 10 catches for 200 yards and a touchdown. It was the ninth 200-yard receiving game in Tennessee history and the first since Cordarrelle Patterson had 219 vs. Troy on Nov. 3, 2012. It was the first 200-yard receiving game by a Vol in an SEC game since Denarius Moore had 205 vs. Kentucky on Nov. 27, 2010.

Tillman has recorded at least six catches in five straight games, becoming the first Vol to achieve that feat since Cedrick Wilson did it the first five games of the 1999 season. The Las Vegas native has thrived in games against ranked teams, as well. Against current Top 25 teams, he is third in the nation in yards (456), ninth in the nation in catches (25) and fourth in the nation in TD catches (3).

Banks a Tackling Machine
Redshirt junior linebacker Jeremy Banks is having a breakout season for the Big Orange. The Cordova, Tennessee, native leads the team and ranks third in the SEC with a career-high 89 tackles and has posted double-digit stops in four straight games, including a career-best tying 15 last Saturday against No. 1 Georgia. Banks is also tied for seventh in the SEC with 9.0 tackles for loss and is tied for the team lead in sacks with 4.5.

SERIES HISTORY

Vols lead series, 1-0

Saturday will be just the second ever meeting between the two programs. Tennessee won the only previous meeting, 31-24, in 2013. Rajion Neal ran for a career-high 169 yards and a touchdown while quarterback Justin Worley threw for 204 yards and a pair of scores.

ABOUT SOUTH ALABAMA

The Jaguars are led by first-year head coach Kane Wommack, who was one of five finalists for the Broyles Award last season while serving as the defensive coordinator at Indiana. South Alabama and Tennessee have one common opponent this season in Bowling Green, who the Vols defeated 38-6 in their season opener. The Jaguars defeated the Falcons 22-19 the following week.

Quarterback Jake Bentley, who spent four seasons as South Carolina's starting quarterback, was having a solid season before getting injured in the Jaguars loss at Troy two weeks ago. Taking over for Bentley has been sophomore Desmond Trotter, who has passed for 380 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions in four games played. Junior wide receiver Jalen Tolbert has been USA's top weapon on offense, leading the team with 65 receptions and six touchdowns. He ranks fourth nationally with 1,140 receiving yards, averaging 114.0 per game.

Defensively, South Alabama has been susceptible to the big play but has also been successful at creating turnovers, ranking fifth in the FBS with 14 interceptions on the year. Eight different players have picked off a pass this season for the Jags. Defensive backs Darrell Luter Jr. (4) and Tre Young (3) have combined for seven interceptions.

I read where Luter isn’t likely to play, and neither is Bentley. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings…

Pregaming @ Schulz Brau with my dad...looking forward to the game tomorrow! GBO!

Reactions: joevol33
You make the trip up, bud? One of these days we gotta get the "Resides in enemy territory" contingent together for a tailgate!
I didn't. Wife is doing iv treatments, so not a good time to leave her, but I'd love to be there. That sounds like a great idea for a tailgate!

I didn't. Wife is doing iv treatments, so not a good time to leave her, but I'd love to be there. That sounds like a great idea for a tailgate!

I hear ya, man. Good vibes and prayers for your wife's treatment and recovery, bud...hopefully we can all meet up for a tailgate in the future!

VN Store

Back