The Official PlayStation 5 Thread

Just platinumed Astro's Playroom last night! Damn what a freaking fun game and it's such a love letter to the legacy of PlayStation! Such great utilization of the Dualsense controller too! But I have to say, the unsung hero of this game is the music! Damn the music was fire! I just loved everything about this little game! Also, is just it me or does this game kind of give off Sonic The Hedgehog vibes at times? I don't know if it was the pacing of the game, the robotic characters, or the music but something about it definitely gave me Sonic vibes! For me, this experience was a 10/10! I still can't believe they packed this in for free. I'm on to Spiderman Remastered and Miles Morales next!

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
The first time I have played any game it has frozen the system. Usually on first boot (NBA, CoD, AC: Valhalla, Uncharted 4), but also trying to close out Astro did it as well. The good news is that I haven't had an issue loading or closing a game after its first failure and no game has frozen during gameplay. I was already considering selling my XSX, but....I'm going to wait until the first major firmware patch and see if they get some of these kinks worked out.

The first time I have played any game it has frozen the system. Usually on first boot (NBA, CoD, AC: Valhalla, Uncharted 4), but also trying to close out Astro did it as well. The good news is that I haven't had an issue loading or closing a game after its first failure and no game has frozen during gameplay. I was already considering selling my XSX, but....I'm going to wait until the first major firmware patch and see if they get some of these kinks worked out.

Apparently Rest Mode is causing issues with some PS5's if you have a game still open. Until a patch is released, they're saying either power the system down completely or make sure you're closed out of any games before putting it rest mode. Knock on wood, I've been playing non stop since Saturday and I've had no system issues at all so far. Sony did issue a system update this morning but I haven't seen what it specifically addresses.

I have to say, this is the most fun I've had at the launch of a console in a long time. Astro's Play Room, Sackboy's Adventure, Demon's Souls, Spiderman Miles Morales, are all fantastic exclusive launch titles. Not to mention 3rd party titles like AC: Valhalla, and COD Cold War. Plus the PS5 really breathes new life in PS4 titles like God of War, Days Gone, and Ghost of Tsushima. I tried out those 3 games and they look and run beautifully on PS5.

Last edited:
@Brave Volunteer Looks like a generically-titled "system performance" patch, so hopefully it addresses some of those issues. About to purchase an external HDD to store my PS4 collection. Guess I'll miss out on the fast load times on those titles, but I'm already maxed out for space. From memory, I think I have those 5 titles, Battlefield 4, and Fallout 4 installed and I'm maxed. I had to delete the one media app I had installed (Netflix or Hulu) to make room for a Fallout 4 save file.

I kind of want to be talked into trying Demon's Souls. I remember playing Dark Souls 3 very briefly, but don't have much memory of it. People rave about the Souls games like they're the end-all-be-all, but others say they can be unforgiving to the point of just being not enjoyable. No difficulty setting or sliders from what I hear. If you're not a big fan of trial-and-error, but are a fan of RPG/character building, is it worth risking 60 or 70 bucks, whatever it is? Should I wait until it's a "Playstation Classic" for $29.99? What say you guys? @UTK ?

I'm fighting the urge to juggle multiple games. Going into this generation, I have vowed to at least beat a game before I start a new one and if possible, even platinum it. Last gen I paid virtually no attention to trophies but I kind of want to start making that a bigger part of the gaming experience this gen. I started off with Astro's Playroom because that's a short game and an easy one to platinum. Now I'm playing Bugsnax. It's a fun, goofy little game which shouldn't take me too long to platinum either. After that I will move on to Sackboy's Adventure, as I believe that's another one that will be relatively easy to platinum. But DAMN do I want to sink my teeth into Miles Morales and Demon's souls!

I kind of want to be talked into trying Demon's Souls. I remember playing Dark Souls 3 very briefly, but don't have much memory of it. People rave about the Souls games like they're the end-all-be-all, but others say they can be unforgiving to the point of just being not enjoyable. No difficulty setting or sliders from what I hear. If you're not a big fan of trial-and-error, but are a fan of RPG/character building, is it worth risking 60 or 70 bucks, whatever it is? Should I wait until it's a "Playstation Classic" for $29.99? What say you guys? @UTK ?

Well, I've played Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne and the only one I haven't cared for is 2. It's a genre not for everyone honestly. The biggest appeal in these games is the sense of accomplishment you get from progressing. They are difficult, but people do tend to overrate how difficult they are. (There's a steep beginners curve but once you get over it, it becomes a lot more manageable) They're just more difficult than your standard game these days (which aren't very difficult at all for the most part). The other big appeal comes from, it doesn't feed you your story in a typical way. No cut scenes, or anything like that. The story is told through the environment and NPCs, it can be super vague, you have to read things like item descriptions to even have an understanding of the world. I appreciate the different approach but many people don't, and would like a more straight to the point story. Understandable. If you played Dark Souls 3 and it didn't click with you, maybe this is a wait and see approach. 76-77 bucks after tax is a tall price for a "maybe I'll like it game". I personally would only pay that amount on something I'm very confident in liking. My advice is to wait until it's cheaper, give it a good shot, be patient with it, give it a good few hours. It'll either click with you (if it does, good you have several new games to check out. If it doesn't, no big loss.) Or it won't. However I know a factor right now is quite frankly the lack of PS5 titles obviously. I think it's easily the most appealing launch title, but I can see why others would be more into Spider Man. I would just go with your gut feeling, maybe watch some gameplay or reviews on YouTube to get an even better understanding of the game.

Reactions: CubsFanTN
Well, I've played Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne and the only one I haven't cared for is 2. It's a genre not for everyone honestly. The biggest appeal in these games is the sense of accomplishment you get from progressing. They are difficult, but people do tend to overrate how difficult they are. (There's a steep beginners curve but once you get over it, it becomes a lot more manageable) They're just more difficult than your standard game these days (which aren't very difficult at all for the most part). The other big appeal comes from, it doesn't feed you your story in a typical way. No cut scenes, or anything like that. The story is told through the environment and NPCs, it can be super vague, you have to read things like item descriptions to even have an understanding of the world. I appreciate the different approach but many people don't, and would like a more straight to the point story. Understandable. If you played Dark Souls 3 and it didn't click with you, maybe this is a wait and see approach. 76-77 bucks after tax is a tall price for a "maybe I'll like it game". I personally would only pay that amount on something I'm very confident in liking. My advice is to wait until it's cheaper, give it a good shot, be patient with it, give it a good few hours. It'll either click with you (if it does, good you have several new games to check out. If it doesn't, no big loss.) Or it won't. However I know a factor right now is quite frankly the lack of PS5 titles obviously. I think it's easily the most appealing launch title, but I can see why others would be more into Spider Man. I would just go with your gut feeling, maybe watch some gameplay or reviews on YouTube to get an even better understanding of the game.
I greatly appreciate the input. I think the best thing to do is work on some games I need to finish and then get into Cyberpunk next month then see if Demon's Souls has come down after the first of the year. Even at $39.99 I think I'd jump on it pretty quick.

Reactions: UTK
I greatly appreciate the input. I think the best thing to do is work on some games I need to finish and then get into Cyberpunk next month then see if Demon's Souls has come down after the first of the year. Even at $39.99 I think I'd jump on it pretty quick.
It's never ending lol. There were PS3 games I had never played when I bought my PS4.

It's never ending lol. There were PS3 games I had never played when I bought my PS4.
Truth. Launch titles are the worst because you get sucked in by the graphics or some gameplay gimmick (read up on the new player tracking feature for Madden on the new consoles, for example) and you just want to try them all. That’s part of why someone like me, who’s never really played the Souls games and has no interest in the superhero universe, almost plunked down 120 bucks for Demon’s Souls and Miles Morales today, before thinking better of it.

Truth. Launch titles are the worst because you get sucked in by the graphics or some gameplay gimmick (read up on the new player tracking feature for Madden on the new consoles, for example) and you just want to try them all. That’s part of why someone like me, who’s never really played the Souls games and has no interest in the superhero universe, almost plunked down 120 bucks for Demon’s Souls and Miles Morales today, before thinking better of it.
Other than COD (which I would have gotten for PS4 anyway), the only other games I got so far are AC Valhalla and NBA2K (likely wouldn't have gotten either for the PS4, but glad I decided to get them). I probably won't get any games for awhile. I'll give Madden a go again I still have FIFA 21.

I bought Sackboy for the PS4 for my girls (and get the PS5 game for free). I might play it for a few minutes.

Other than COD (which I would have gotten for PS4 anyway), the only other games I got so far are AC Valhalla and NBA2K (likely wouldn't have gotten either for the PS4, but glad I decided to get them). I probably won't get any games for awhile. I'll give Madden a go again I still have FIFA 21.

I bought Sackboy for the PS4 for my girls (and get the PS5 game for free). I might play it for a few minutes.
2k21 was a pleasant surprise, normally I don’t have a lot of faith in launch date sports titles. CoD looks and plays fantastic and so does AC. All good choices.

Had the PS5 in my cart on Walmart's website yesterday and again no-go. It crapped out same as always and same on Sony's direct page. Vicious cycle. I give up.

Reactions: Gzearl11
Had the PS5 in my cart on Walmart's website yesterday and again no-go. It crapped out same as always and same on Sony's direct page. Vicious cycle. I give up.
Same thing I was so excited since I had never been able to put it in my cart before.

I have to say, retailers need to change online ordering where if you are lucky enough to get a product in your cart, that product should be YOURS to purchase for at least a minimum of 5 minutes before it's available again to be bought by someone else. It's not right that another buyer can snatch it up before you even have a chance to enter your payment information. If you were shopping in an physical store, it wouldn't be acceptable for another customer to come and pull something out of your shopping cart would it? The same rules should apply to online shopping.

Reactions: CubsFanTN
I have to say, retailers need to change online ordering where if you are lucky enough to get a product in your cart, that product should be YOURS to purchase for at least a minimum of 5 minutes before it's available again to be bought by someone else. It's not right that another buyer can snatch it up before you even have a chance to enter your payment information. If you were shopping in an physical store, it wouldn't be acceptable for another customer to come and pull something out of your shopping cart would it? The same rules should apply to online shopping.
If they can do it for tickets, they can do it for PS5s etc

If they can do it for tickets, they can do it for PS5s etc

If it's in the cart, there should be at least two minutes of purchase security to facilitate the exchange of information and outright sell. I agree with BV... the way this is being handled is ridiculous in 2020. Although, 2020 has been a ridiculous year. So there's that.

Reactions: Gzearl11

There's PS4 games from 2015 and onwards that have been on my "to play list" forever now lol I had to just abandon any PS3 games I never got around to

Reactions: YankeeVol
Finally had to factory reset the PS5 over the weekend. Games would only boot up intermittently. About 50% of the time the games would go to the splash screen and then freeze/flicker, sometimes accompanied by a high-pitch squealing. So I got it factory fresh, latest system update, and I'm going to install one game at a time and play them one at a time for 10-15 minutes and pray for no hiccups. I started with Watch Dogs this time and it fired right up and played fine. The first go around every game had to glitch out at least once before it would play, so.....fingers crossed. It's the risk you take getting a console on day one, I suppose.

Ghost of Tsushima running on PS5 is incredible! If you have a PS5 and have yet to play this game, I cannot recommend it enough.

VN Store

Back