The Official #3 Tennessee vs. #11 Michigan NCAA Tournament Game Thread, 5:50 PM ET, CBS

We weren't gonna win it all. Everyone knew that...but to go out this early even surprised me. Barnes finds new ways to disappoint and under achieve every year.

When we were up 6 points with about 5/6 minutes to go they took the game from us, they simply did not want to lose more than we wanted to win.
Hate to credit Michigan coach, but he convinced them they could win this game and kept them believing.

Last edited:
Reactions: UTSimSinAZ
I'm trying to figure out how we lost other than having less points on the scoreboard.

First, we have to give it up to Michigan they made play after play and went out and won this game.

As for the Vols, when you are up 6 points with the ball the last thing you need is a turnover. That's exactly what happened. I was also surprised when we went small vs Michigan who is a big team. I understand our best players are guards but it hurt us with rebounding. It's just hard to say what happened.

30 some years of coaching at great basketball schools with only 1 F4 and we’re not supposed to question his tournament coaching? Hell he never won a tournament at TX.
You can pick a number of coaches that has a good year and the team blows it in the Tourney. You just use Barnes because its Tn coach.

Reactions: utkCREW
I hardly ever comment but Aidoo not playing more confused me so much. I hate to do this because I never like to zero in on a player but Vescovi killed us on both ends of the court. He’s probably my favorite and due to my frustration, I kept watching him and he was just all out of sorts. Was moving around on offense, couldn’t stay with his man on defense and just was not confident at all…so weird

He had a terrible game and looked like the stage was too big for him

It does matter, you must’ve not watched Dickinson hack our guys all night. Michigan pkayed probably their best game all year and had a very favorable whistle.
We had a 6 point lead with the ball and proceeded to miss almost every shot after that point and Michigan out hustled us and we’re more disciplined and simply made plays from that point on. Grow up and stop blaming the refs for every game we lose. It’s laughable.

Reactions: jlawso21
We were not going to win playing an inside game. That is not our game. Our offense is making 3s. Pretty sure we had a stretch where ZZ and JJJ had wide open looks in the corner for 3s. Both guys have been making those shots the past month. Today they did not. It really comes down to making shots. All the idiots blaming coaching are just clueless. I guess it was bad coaching when we were up 6pts and KC dribbled off his foot.
Letting them make a huge run and no time out. I guess that was good coaching too. Rick had a good season but failed today. Why is it so hard to admit?

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Can we ever hold players accountable for awful games? I mean my god. Chandler and JJJ (maybe Aidoo) were the only ones I saw come to play today. You?

The players aren't making millions of dollars a year. The bottom line is it's up to coaches to have their players prepared.

I mean first SECT Championship since 70s. Felt like we were hot at the right time, but guess any given night you can go cold.

The bad 3 ball shooting was the reason we lost all but 1 game this year. It was always the consistent reason why we lost.

Won the SECT & didn’t lose to a Cinderella or in the first round. Hopefully the team grows from it and we see an even better team next year.

Good season all things considered, was worried losing Olivier would derail it. A couple more wins in the Tournament and it would’ve been a great season.

Well, that blows.
GBO!!

If the Volunteers Baseball team didn’t have a good chance for a winning regular season, and to return to the College World Series then I would be extremely somber after the 2nd half embarrassment I watched since Michigan outplayed Tennessee in the 2nd half which is exactly why Michigan won.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I think what you, and so many others, seem to forget, is that Barnes HAS a NCAA record. Coaches go their entire career without one. It’s RARE outside of blue bloods (which we can all agree that we, Texas, Clemson, and Providence are) have good NCAA records. Put that in perspective when you talk about Rick’s “awful record” he does well at historical OK programs. We aren’t world beaters and never have. To win a NCAA you have to get lucky and play well every game. Didn’t happen for us. That’s not on Barnes. It’s why your take is old, dumb, and worn out.

Just stop with the excuses. Barnes is a great program builder but he’s never going to take us to the F4 or win the big prize. It’s time we ask ourselves is that good enough or not?

I'm trying to figure out how we lost other than having less points on the scoreboard.

First, we have to give it up to Michigan they made play after play and went out and won this game.

As for the Vols, when you are up 6 points with the ball the last thing you need is a turnover. That's exactly what happened. I was also surprised when we went small vs Michigan who is a big team. I understand our best players are guards but it hurt us with rebounding. It's just hard to say what happened.
Their bigs were too much to handle inside coupled with terrible 3 point percentage

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back