The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

/www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/banish-backcountry-suppressor-review/ar-AA18k4s2?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=6b31cf33f6584901bbe00f224d3370a5&ei=99

I bought a suppressor years ago and put on my 10/22 and was disappointed to say the least. My Gunsmith buddy laughed at me. Read the above article and it sounds interesting. Can anyone knowing about descibles, need autocorrect, or sound reduction jump in on this topic?? I know the TV suppressor sounds are a joke but, I've always been curious about this topic.

/www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/banish-backcountry-suppressor-review/ar-AA18k4s2?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=6b31cf33f6584901bbe00f224d3370a5&ei=99

I bought a suppressor years ago and put on my 10/22 and was disappointed to say the least. My Gunsmith buddy laughed at me. Read the above article and it sounds interesting. Can anyone knowing about descibles, need autocorrect, or sound reduction jump in on this topic?? I know the TV suppressor sounds are a joke but, I've always been curious about this topic.
Check out pewscience.com for actual suppressor data

Reactions: JustFunnN'Orange
Just did some minor/moderate gunsmithing on my beloved Beretta 92A1. Ordered the G conversion kit from beretta. That converts the gun to decocker only, no manual safety.

I realize I’ve actually done a decent number of modifications to it:

Wood grips
Metal trigger
D-hammer spring
Skelontized hammer
Metallic guide rod
Decocker only
Weapon light

It was my first pistol and my absolute favorite to shoot.

8DA88138-7478-4697-96DE-C56E7AD52E00.jpeg

Just did some minor/moderate gunsmithing on my beloved Beretta 92A1. Ordered the G conversion kit from beretta. That converts the gun to decocker only, no manual safety.

I realize I’ve actually done a decent number of modifications to it:

Wood grips
Metal trigger
D-hammer spring
Skelontized hammer
Metallic guide rod
Decocker only
Weapon light

It was my first pistol and my absolute favorite to shoot.

View attachment 540308

You forgot the chain to turn it into the boat anchor.

Reactions: GreyWolf1129

Not sure what to weigh in on. It seems like an article going over the technical specs of this silencer.

remember that decibels are logarmathic. Where a change of 10 is either doubling or halving the volume. So a 140 db gun going to 130 is a big change, but it's still loud AF.

Me personally I will shoot a silenced gun outside without ear pro for maybe 5 shots. Anymore and I am back to doubled up ears. Inside I am also wearing ears. Pretty much no matter the caliber. I have seen some videos on 22s and some Russian guns that get pretty dang quiet where ear pro isnt claimed to be needed. But at some point the action of the shot, like the bolt slamming into something, cant be silenced and will be the loudest sound. Wont sound like a gun shot, but will 100% give your position away unlike a Bond movie. Or even Jihn Wick, one of the fee things they get wrong in those movies imo is what silencers are capable of.

Most silencers work to make it hearing safe, not "slienced". Also you probably should be ammo that isnt hypersonic if you want to run a "silenced" platform. The sonic boom is very hard to absorb.

Not sure what to weigh in on. It seems like an article going over the technical specs of this silencer.

remember that decibels are logarmathic. Where a change of 10 is either doubling or halving the volume. So a 140 db gun going to 130 is a big change, but it's still loud AF.

Me personally I will shoot a silenced gun outside without ear pro for maybe 5 shots. Anymore and I am back to doubled up ears. Inside I am also wearing ears. Pretty much no matter the caliber. I have seen some videos on 22s and some Russian guns that get pretty dang quiet where ear pro isnt claimed to be needed. But at some point the action of the shot, like the bolt slamming into something, cant be silenced and will be the loudest sound. Wont sound like a gun shot, but will 100% give your position away unlike a Bond movie. Or even Jihn Wick, one of the fee things they get wrong in those movies imo is what silencers are capable of.

Most silencers work to make it hearing safe, not "slienced". Also you probably should be ammo that isnt hypersonic if you want to run a "silenced" platform. The sonic boom is very hard to absorb.
Also, its not just peak decibels that determine how loud/quiet a suppressor is perceived. The duration of the sound impulse critical. I highly encourage anyone interested in silencers to check out pewscience.com for in depth analysis and listen to his podcast, it will help your understanding of everything related to suppressing small arms. He analyzes muzzle suppression, at-ear supression, and even analyzes backpressue and its effects on suppressing semi-auto firearms. Lots of good technical data and its all summarized on 0-100 scale for each suppressor tested.

Reactions: JustFunnN'Orange
Went and got the S&W M&P 5.7

I've owned the FN and Ruger previously. To me, after handling the S&W (and having multiple M&P pistols), its the way to go with 5.7 IMO

Went and got the S&W M&P 5.7

I've owned the FN and Ruger previously. To me, after handling the S&W (and having multiple M&P pistols), its the way to go with 5.7 IMO
I have the ruger 5.7… long story, but I haven’t been able to shoot it yet. Really looking forward to it

VN Store

Back