The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

I admit I don't know much about guns. I have 22 rifle I inherited from my grandfather, I fired it once to make sure it still worked. Thats the extent of my gun experience.

However with things being the way they are right now in the world, I would like to purchase a pistol for protection. What would yall recommend for a relative novice?

Thinking about this one: Ruger LCP .380 Auto Pistol | Academy

Are Taurus guns any good? I haven't really heard of them.
Taurus makes decent products. I would not buy something as small as the LCP 380 for a first handgun. Little guns are just hard to shoot accurately. Most people recommend Glock 19, or something similar for a first handgun. My first handgun was an inherited Ruger Blackhawk revolver and the first handgun I bought was a Ruger P89 semi-auto.

I admit I don't know much about guns. I have 22 rifle I inherited from my grandfather, I fired it once to make sure it still worked. Thats the extent of my gun experience.

However with things being the way they are right now in the world, I would like to purchase a pistol for protection. What would yall recommend for a relative novice?

IWI Jericho
The Jericho 941

The original LCP would “never” be a good option for a novice in my opinion.

Heavy trigger, poor sights, extremely small.

Which relates to, harder to shoot accurately, and harder to control…….not to mention because of its size and trigger it become “not fun to shoot” which would probably keep you from practicing as much as you may otherwise.

The newer Taurus’s are much better now days…….say from the G2c and onward. The G2c or G3c or maybe the GX4 (still fairly small) would be decent budget options.

If your somewhat of a novice, you would “want” to practice a decent amount. You would also want to become very familiar with your firearm……always in a safe manner.

For a “novice” I would recommend something “compact” but not like “pocket” size.

Just my opinion but for a $250 budget I would recommend this: Taurus G2C 9mm Centerfire Pistol | Academy

Looks like you can get the G3c which is the newer version shipped to the store for $269.

Another good option for a novice may be the Taurus 856 38 special revolver…..however it’s a bit more at like $329.

For under $300 a G2c or G3c is a good reliable option (for most folks).

If you stretch the budget from $300-$350……Canik is probably where you need to look. Those are probably the best handguns in that price range.

Very small guns look attractive, however they require more skill and knowledge…….it’s MUCH better (and you’ll like it much more) to start out with something a bit larger…..not huge……just not tiny. The G2c/G3c are small but very user friendly.

If you like the Ruger:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/918080129

These are fine handguns; however they still have more rudimentary sights……..but better than the LCP. The trigger is better than the LCP, and while it looks tiny it’s not really “tiny”…….it’s small, but very usable especially with practice.

Ruger is a fine manufacturer, and these have been around for a long time.

From Gunbroker you would pay shipping (whatever that is, it will say) and tax and a 1% fee.

You can have this shipped to a gun store near you and you really don’t have to do much. They will ship to the store then you go and do the background check and all. You will pay the store for the check $10 (in Tennessee) and a transfer fee usually between $10-$20.

I’ve bought online many times and it’s really easy; however “if” you can find what you want near you at a shop or say Academy……it’s always easier.

Academy is usually one of the cheaper stores, also Smokey Mountain Guns also has good, fair pricing (usually).

Sry to respond multiple times but the more we know…..

“You” also need to set yourself some parameters. This should help you to decide. Especially for a “first handgun” you need to know exactly why you want it, and what you want it to do.

If you were “only” going to conceal carry you would choose something totally different than if you wanted a target gun or something “just” for home defense.

Set your budget…..and stick to it, there are plenty out there now days in every budget (except for say $100-$150).

Know the purpose or purposes you want from it.

“If” you want it to be a home defense weapon or at least flex in that role a light rail, good sights (not necessarily night sights) higher capacity and size (again not too small)…..are good factors…….maybe not deal breakers, but definitely things to consider.

Looking just at budget minded, something “just” for carry the Ruger EC9s might be a better choice…….for “just” home defense maybe the Taurus G3 (not G3c) may be a better choice……..for a bit of both maybe the G2c would be a better choice………if you just wanted something you could go shoot, have fun with and be there for protection…….maybe something totally different.

Also right now 9mm ammo is going to be cheaper (usually) over 380 and “most” other common protection calibers.

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan

Are you wanting an easily-concealable carry pistol, or one to keep by the bedside? I don't particularly like anything about the Ruger LCP.

If you want to stay small, look at the Sig P365XL and add a Lima laser. If you don't need concealable, there's a world of options.

Reactions: tbh
I will say the Taurus 24/7 really did have a nice feel in the hand. I never bought one, but it was a comfortable pistol and if I bought a Taurus, it likely would have been that one.

Reactions: Bruce Wayne
I love this guy. I just had to share.

He had us run on a treadmill for 3 minutes, run to the door of a shooting house and pick up an at then try to hit a dummy with 5 shots. It was amazing how many good shots missed. He said that simulates panic situations. We did the same drill with a 12gs loaded with OO buck. Errbody destroyed the dummy.
That helped me decide what the best home defense weapon was. Lol

He had us run on a treadmill for 3 minutes, run to the door of a shooting house and pick up an at then try to hit a dummy with 5 shots. It was amazing how many good shots missed. He said that simulates panic situations. We did the same drill with a 12gs loaded with OO buck. Errbody destroyed the dummy.
That helped me decide what the best home defense weapon was. Lol

I did a ISF course last year with a retired officer from Israel. Guy made us do about to same stuff. A few local officers took the class too and he made them put on body armor and do it. He had some awesome stories.

Reactions: Orangeslice13

VN Store

Back