The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

I’m hiking AT and others trails for maintenance and may be solo sometimes. Just like to be prepared if something unusual happens , like a bear encounter or running into someone with bad intentions. Not sure of the regulations carrying a long rifle outside of hunting seasons.

Take you a MR .45-70

I kid of course

Question for anyone who can provide suggestions. What’s an appropriate gun for hiking in “off the grid” bear country. Long rifles not an option. The more round capacity the better.

Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 in 10mm

15 rounds of 10mm in a 4” or 4.6” barrel handgun (4.6 would be preferred for your use).

Great handgun, great reliability, probably the best handgun cartridge (of your requirements) with “maximum” round capacity.

If your not accustomed to using large bore revolvers……..go with 10mm.

Use heavy grain flat nose rounds…….Buffalo Bore makes some really good ammunition.

You should be able to pick up the M&P 10mm for around $600 (give or take just a bit). This is “probably” a better option over other 10mm’s because of price, reliably, size and capacity……..Glock is amazing however for 10mm you can certainly use the better grip texture and better undercut of the M&P (in my opinion).

Also if your familiar with pistol optics……..this would be a good situation for one. The M&P is optic ready and would greatly help you put rounds on target faster and more precisely at distance.

If your going to use an optic (for your particular situation) go with the Trijicon RMR (basically any version….but not the SRO or CC) or for the budget minded go for the Holosun 507c (Or 407c…..and c not k).Both are plenty reliable for hiking and backpack situations……..skip it all together if you would have to go cheap.

You can find the Trijicon new form $370-$450 or the Holosun from $225-$320.

If 5 or 6 rounds is ok with you, and your proficient with large bore handguns go with a revolver, 44 magnum, 454 or 460. The 5” or better Ruger Super Redhawk is a good one (I personally wouldn’t go with the 2.5” Alaskan), any of the Taurus Raging hunters would work. In Smith & Wesson the 460 vxr is a good choice.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Black bears aren't as dangerous honestly. You should be okay with a decent pistol, though I'd still suggest a magnum like a .357.

Here's a good article about bear attacks. If a grizz can be taken down with a 9mm, you should be okay.

Defense Against Bears with Pistols: 97% Success rate, 37 incidents by Caliber - Sporting Classics Daily

Agreed. We spend two weeks a year in the Smokies, which are my old stomping grounds. Older though we are, we still hike, and some of those hikes are in lesser travelled areas. We see bears a lot. But the bears are an increasingly credible presence, and potential threat, thanks to people feeding them; encroachment on their habitat; and the bears becoming adapted to the presence of humans, especially as a food source.

I carry Counter Assault bear spray. You can research it online, but it's one of the top-rated bear sprays. It works on Grizzlies, so it's a safe bet against black bears. I also carry, as a last resort, my Springfield .45 RO. Default load is 230 grain FMJ's. For a bear, you want a solid round with deep penetration. A JHP is gonna flatten out in the first few inches of gristle and muscle, and you'll end up getting mauled by a very pissed-off bear. So...solid round for solid hits.

JMO. Best bet is to avoid the bear. Make a lot of noise; act big; and tell the bear you taste like poop. If that fails, you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun whomever is with you. Failing that, then it's bear spray, then spray & pray.

I've had a number of Close Encounters of the Bear Kind over the years. With the sole exception of a particularly persistent male who wrecked our campsite when I was a Scout back in the late 70's, none of them have ended badly.

TFWIW. Go Vols.

Agreed. We spend two weeks a year in the Smokies, which are my old stomping grounds. Older though we are, we still hike, and some of those hikes are in lesser travelled areas. We see bears a lot. But the bears are an increasingly credible presence, and potential threat, thanks to people feeding them; encroachment on their habitat; and the bears becoming adapted to the presence of humans, especially as a food source.

I carry Counter Assault bear spray. You can research it online, but it's one of the top-rated bear sprays. It works on Grizzlies, so it's a safe bet against black bears. I also carry, as a last resort, my Springfield .45 RO. Default load is 230 grain FMJ's. For a bear, you want a solid round with deep penetration. A JHP is gonna flatten out in the first few inches of gristle and muscle, and you'll end up getting mauled by a very pissed-off bear. So...solid round for solid hits.

JMO. Best bet is to avoid the bear. Make a lot of noise; act big; and tell the bear you taste like poop. If that fails, you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun whomever is with you. Failing that, then it's bear spray, then spray & pray.

I've had a number of Close Encounters of the Bear Kind over the years. With the sole exception of a particularly persistent male who wrecked our campsite when I was a Scout back in the late 70's, none of them have ended badly.

TFWIW. Go Vols.
Well its best to avoid any situation that would involve the likelihood of severe bodily harm.

Kinda like 4 wheel drive, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

So ummm random thought here… but why in the hell do you have to jump through hoops to buy a dang suppressor? How is this STILL a thing?

The oil filter lobby is surprisingly powerful.

Honestly, I have no idea other than it's one more "terrible bogeyman" that the congresscritters and the bureaucracy know nothing about yet feel they should regulate it.

So ummm random thought here… but why in the hell do you have to jump through hoops to buy a dang suppressor? How is this STILL a thing?
they get the $200 tax stamp. I don't know how much that adds up to, but suppressors seem to be much more popular nowadays than 10 or 20 years ago so I assume there is money to be made.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Funny, I've wondered the same thing. Literally all they do is decrease noise pollution and risk for hearing damage. Yet, they get treated like a full-auto switch.

VN Store

Back