The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

I've never known anyone that had a shotgun in 28ga. I don't think I've even seen a 28ga shotgun. I don't know what you would use it for. And the shells are like $1 each even before covid.
lighter weight = easier to carry in the field and quicker to swing. also, the report is a good bit quieter.

Reactions: txbo
Looking for an entry level shotgun for trap shooting. Was given a Champion Wheelybird machine for my birthday and I don't own a shotgun. Obviously such a hole must be filled. Would like to set it up on the back 40 and shoot with the wife. Where would you guys look? Gauge, Maker, Model?

Looking for an entry level shotgun for trap shooting. Was given a Champion Wheelybird machine for my birthday and I don't own a shotgun. Obviously such a hole must be filled. Would like to set it up on the back 40 and shoot with the wife. Where would you guys look? Gauge, Maker, Model?

I would say an 870 express trap; however I’d stay away from most of the recent Remington stuff.

An older 1100 would be good
For something new I like the Mossberg 930

Reactions: 81Bubbavol
I would have said Remington 1100, but the value of a new REMINGTON 1100 shotgun is around $1,974. The used value of a REMINGTON 1100 shotgun is around $928.09.

So, for my budget, I would look at Mossberg Maverick 88 Pump Action Shotgun, around $249.99. The Mossberg 930 may also be a better buy.

Hey. Thinking about getting a youth model 20 gauge to help out the wife. Concerned that a standard trap style gun with a 28” barrel would be too heavy. Where’s a good place near Chattanooga to shop for and handle shotguns? In GA would be a plus as we’ve just moved to Ringgold.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Hey. Thinking about getting a youth model 20 gauge to help out the wife. Concerned that a standard trap style gun with a 28” barrel would be too heavy. Where’s a good place near Chattanooga to shop for and handle shotguns? In GA would be a plus as we’ve just moved to Ringgold.
Believe it or not big bucks pawn in Hixson always has a 20 gauge or 2 on the shelf.

Any luck? I switched to 20 for all around use awhile back. Feel like I would have spent a lot more time at trap and clays if I'd switched sooner.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Any luck? I switched to 20 for all around use awhile back. Feel like I would have spent a lot more time at trap and clays if I'd switched sooner.

Still looking and trying to learn where these things are sold. I'm relatively new to guns but it surprised me how scarce the online used shotgun market appears to be. When I look for used Remington 870's on Gunbroker there are two in 20 gauge. I'm used to the AR market where there are hundreds. May try to look in some pawn shops as has been suggested. Not discouraged though, love the hunt almost as much as the purchase.😁

What shells and choke would you recommend? These are new waters for me.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Still looking and trying to learn where these things are sold. I'm relatively new to guns but it surprised me how scarce the online used shotgun market appears to be. When I look for used Remington 870's on Gunbroker there are two in 20 gauge. I'm used to the AR market where there are hundreds. May try to look in some pawn shops as has been suggested. Not discouraged though, love the hunt almost as much as the purchase.😁

What shells and choke would you recommend? These are new waters for me.
Add the mossberg 500 to your list.
Also get to know your local shops. Anthony’s Armory has good stuff but it’s inconsistent. There was a Baretta in 20 recently at Anthony’s but I believe it’s sold. I believe you said you’re in north Georgia. There a place on Roseville Blvd called GTs that has a lot of trade ins and a good turn over of guns. They cater to law enforcement so some of the trade ins are pretty cool. They could have anything from AKs to single shot 22s on the used rack at any time.

Hey Slice I'm Also considering a new Mossberg Maverick 88 in 20 gauge. Academy has them for almost nothing and that would get me in the game quick and easy. From what I've read online they're ahead of the Winchester SXP. Are they too cheap compared to the 500 or a viable option?

Hey Slice I'm Also considering a new Mossberg Maverick 88 in 20 gauge. Academy has them for almost nothing and that would get me in the game quick and easy. From what I've read online they're ahead of the Winchester SXP. Are they too cheap compared to the 500 or a viable option?
Good entry level gun. Built on the 500. Will shoot every time without problems and is a good option to keep as the bedroom security gun. Will definitely get you started. I’d have no issues owning one. I posted a picture of a 500 in the zone gun thread of a 500 at big bucks pawnshop in Redbank for 300$ in 20. If you’re interested. Getting started you can’t go wrong either way

Had to run up to Sweetwater today and stopped in a couple of pawnshops along the way. There was a Maverick in Athens but they wanted $250. Couldn't see paying a premium over what is available for $200 at Academy. Starting to get a better feel for things. Good to hold a few in my hands. Not quite as fun as guitar shopping, but GAS is just as applicable.

Had to run up to Sweetwater today and stopped in a couple of pawnshops along the way. There was a Maverick in Athens but they wanted $250. Couldn't see paying a premium over what is available for $200 at Academy. Starting to get a better feel for things. Good to hold a few in my hands. Not quite as fun as guitar shopping, but GAS is just as applicable.
ARMSLIST - For Sale/Trade: Stoeger STF3000 20ga

I've never known anyone that had a shotgun in 28ga. I don't think I've even seen a 28ga shotgun. I don't know what you would use it for. And the shells are like $1 each even before covid.
My favorite quail gun is an AYA sxs in 28 guage. Very light for a long walk and nice open chokes.

VN Store

Back