The Official #22 Tennessee vs. South Carolina Game Thread, 6:30 PM ET, SEC Network

They‘re rookies . At least they are in the NBA which is quite an accomplishment. If Barnes had let them play and not held them back with his “ system”, we would have been a sweet 16 team last year. They would have thrived in Pearls system,
So now their NBA coaches must be holding them back, right? Grant, Admiral and Bone also got drafted 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: VolFreakJosh
I’m thinking context was missed or Powell maybe didn’t get his point across accurately, considering he has a number of 2pta on the year I would say alone says that isn’t accurate. I assure you Barnes hasn’t once told him to stand in a corner and be a spot up shooter only.
I didn’t say stand in a corner per se. He didn’t say he was not to take 2-pointers. He did say Barnes told him he wasn’t expected to be a playmaker, but wanted him specifically in the game to shoot and not to be the playmaker, which would involve creating shots. That was his role. He also didn’t say he was never to drive to the basket. A coach can have a specific idea of what he desires a player to do, to communicate that idea, and have that happen. Everyone understands the fluidity of a game in progress where a 3 or any shot for that matter, may be unattainable, so you drive to an open spot and take what is given. The nature of the game is that in any given set or circumstance, he may need to create, but his purpose is to shoot his shot……I‘m open…..pass comes….shot taken.

I didn’t say stand in a corner per se. He didn’t say he was not to take 2-pointers. He did say Barnes told him he wasn’t expected to be a playmaker, but wanted him specifically in the game to shoot and not to be the playmaker, which would involve creating shots. That was his role. He also didn’t say he was never to drive to the basket. A coach can have a specific idea of what he desires a player to do, to communicate that idea, and have that happen. Everyone understands the fluidity of a game in progress where a 3 or any shot for that matter, may be unattainable, so you drive to an open spot and take what is given. The nature of the game is that in any given set or circumstance, he may need to create, but his purpose is to shoot his shot……I‘m open…..pass comes….shot taken.

That’s much different than your original statement that “Barnes wants to use him as a spot-up shooter only.”

That’s much different than your original statement that “Barnes wants to use him as a spot-up shooter only.”
I think you know no coach is putting a guy out there to be an “all this or nothing” player. The word “only” was meant to convey what he wanted Powell to do primarily.

VN Store

Back