The Official #2 Tennessee vs. #3 Purdue NCAA Tournament Game Thread, 7:30 PM ET, TBS

This team lacked a killer instinct and I don’t know why. Had they started the game with the same fire they played with in the last 10 minutes of the 2nd half they would have won. It’s like they realized their season was about to end so they turned it to 100. But they played so poorly in the first half it didn’t matter.

This team showed up when they wanted. And it cost them...as everyone predicted

This game had no business going to overtime. Hell, we had no business going to OT against Iowa. And Colgate was way too difficult.

Go on living in your fantasy land. I promise you 20 years from now we will still not be any further along than we are right now. Mediocrity is accepted down there

Since when is the sweet 16 mediocrity? It is a step upward in the right direction. It is something to build upon. There are many teams and fan-bases that are in amazement in the job Rick Barnes and his players have done to turn this program around. Many are hiring this off-season hoping to land the next Rick Barnes to save their program. We have plenty to look forward to in the future. We have two highly recruited players already committed, one in 2019 and one in 2020. We have alot of interest in recruits wanting to be a part of what we have going on. We are here to stay.

Why are you so miserable?

My Battered Vol Syndrome is very real. I'm not even sad. Just numb. It's like I knew it would happen. Basketball or football it's the same thing. We just cannot absolutely dominate anyone for a full game. We play to the level of our opponents every single time. Hope Grant and Bone come back.
It’s not BVS it’s just reality

Okay, let’s not get crazy here...Not a chance in hell Barnes is getting fired. That’s just stupid. He did a lot with a bunch of three stars. Yes, it sucks they couldn’t close the deal and keep the season alive. The stage was just a little too big for them still. But I love this group of kids. They’re good kids and created some great memories this season. Okay, so they fell short in both tourneys. It’s a game, I’m already over it.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
Step away from the ledge... this team did amazing things. Barnes is a top tier coach and representative for UT. We will be in the conversation every year while he’s here. And I believe he’d like to win one more than you’d like him to.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
Sports is about competing and pushing yourself to become your best, championships are icing on the cake. You've lost your perspective.

Sports are about winning. Plain and simple. That is why there are tournaments, banners, trophies, coach’s bonuses. None of those are given for “trying”.

Good riddance! They accomplished nothing but winning it 19 games in a row against mediocre competition. Every time they had a chance for a championship or to hang a banner they didn't show up.

Grow up. It was a good season that ended in disappointing fashion. Big deal, give this roster of 3*s some credit for having the season they did.

the players spent too much time in the first half thinking about cheryl tiegs.

great comeback by the Vols but they should have closed the deal and won in regulation.

Execuses? Jesus man come with something better or go troll on a different board.

If Tennessee plays their best game, they beat all teams except for early season Kansas.

I picked UNC to win it all because they have the easiest schedule to win it all.
I don/t think you realize it but we agree, "IF" but it didnt happen, you cant win games on reputation alone you have to play them, UT did and was beaten, It's prettycut & dry

This team lacked a killer instinct and I don’t know why. Had they started the game with the same fire they played with in the last 10 minutes of the 2nd half they would have won. It’s like they realized their season was about to end so they turned it to 100. But they played so poorly in the first half it didn’t matter.

This team showed up when they wanted. And it cost them...as everyone predicted

They were tight in the first half. I thought that was pretty obvious. It’s human nature, even for veteran players. Bob and Bert even discussed it before the game started. They loosened up once they got down.

Thank you Coach Barnes! Thank you to your awesome staff! Thanks to the college athletes that played their hearts out and endured misdirected hate when they lost a few tough games. For those who aren’t satisfied with anything less than an undefeated National Championship, you will always be losers. I hope Grant and Jordan return next year because Tennessee fans, real fans, appreciate them.

I’ll never understand why our fans settle for mediocrity. I’ve been a member here since 2007 and reading since ‘05. It never fails.

Love these group of men, but they underachieved this year. They didn’t show up when it mattered most.
I hope you never have to live up to your own level of criticism. By your standard, along with others like you, if you are not the CEO and chairman of the board of whatever company you work for, if applicable, then you are an abject failure. Calling this team a bunch of losers because they ONLY reached the sweet 16 shows a lack of perspective. Are you so upset because you lost money on a bet?

Last edited:
For all the fair weather basketball fans that are trashing the team..

This team played for games that mattered. When is the last time you could say that about a Tennessee team? We weren't built with 5 stars like Kentucky and Duke, and we didn't pay players like ::cough:: ::cough:: LSU. We had some kids no one wanted who worked their ass off. This loss hurt and I"m glad that it does. It hurts because it meant something. This was one of the most fun teams to watch in recent basketball history. No they didn't bring a bunch of banners home and I hate that for Schofield more than the fans. But to come on here and just trash them makes me even more mad than the loss.

I am very very proud of this Tennessee team and the job Coach Barnes has done! Excellent. No complaints from me. They played hard, smart, were resilient, and were fun to watch. Yes, I am disappointed they lost, but it was a fight all the way. I do think Turner fouled on the last play but the question I have that is not getting much discussion is the previous play where the ball appeared to go off the Purdue player. There did not seem to be much discussion or review about it.

IF That was a foul, it was marginal at best, and unless you hit the shooter's arms or hands or bodily interfere with the trajectory of the shot, you DON'T make that call with 2.5 seconds remaining. That is universally understood among Officials. Vols got hosed. Period. The Players should decide the outcomes.

IF That was a foul, it was marginal at best, and unless you hit the shooter's arms or hands or bodily interfere with the trajectory of the shot, you DON'T make that call with 2.5 seconds remaining. That is universally understood among Officials. Vols got hosed. Period. The Players should decide the outcomes.

THE PLAYERS had over 39 minutes prior to that shot to determine the outcome and spent 29 of those minutes sleep-walking thru the game with no passion and no intensity evident on the court.
Bottom line is that we lost the game at the foul line. No officials kept us from making our foul shots.. Making foul shots is a matter of discipline and focus. This team rarely played that way--except in 2/3 games against KY.

And it cost them in the end. They should be playing today.... For all of their accomplishments---they STILL UNDER-ACHIEVED. And that's the worst thing of all.

THE PLAYERS had over 39 minutes prior to that shot to determine the outcome and spent 29 of those minutes sleep-walking thru the game with no passion and no intensity evident on the court.
Bottom line is that we lost the game at the foul line. No officials kept us from making our foul shots.. Making foul shots is a matter of discipline and focus. This team rarely played that way--except in 2/3 games against KY.

And it cost them in the end. They should be playing today.... For all of their accomplishments---they STILL UNDER-ACHIEVED. And that's the worst thing of all.
Basketball is a game of runs by the two teams. We had not played our best in the first half. Everyone agrees with that. But in the second half we had come back and worked hard to get back into the game. If we had been behind by 10 with a couple of minutes I wonder...would the foul be called? I think the answer is no because we would not have been about to win. I do believe that ref decided the game and that is so very sad that athletes didn’t decide it by their play. We all agree that we had not played well until those last few minutes. It is just not right for ref’s to decide games, especially in the last few seconds. That is the sad thing about it. I have loved watching this team play each week and the comradery that is between them. Coach Barnes and the staff have done a great job of molding these young men in to who they are and will be for their lives. I am proud of them all!! Go Vols.

It's crazy to me that in both championship games and every NCAAT game, there were large stretches where they looked totally disinterested. I could understand one or two, but it was 5 for 5 in games of real significance.

Reactions: MikeVol44

VN Store

Back