The Official #19 Tennessee vs. Kentucky Game Thread, 1:00 PM ET, CBS

We will either win the National Championship or lose in the first round. It will all depend on what team shows up.

That's what's really frustrating, we've seen flashes that this team CAN be the type to get red hot all the way to the FF. Which honestly at this point, as a Vol basketball fan that's really all I'm asking for. I'm not expecting to ever actually win a national title. But can we please just make a FF once before I pass on?

(Which I hope is many years from now but still...)

You are what your record says you are. Kentucky scored 70 point. That is all. It was not a juggernaut performance by a good team. They were 7-13 with two victories they squeaked out against the bottom of the SEC.

The Vols have had several puzzling blowout losses due to their inability to score.

We better be nervous about Vanderbilt if we play that game. After taking Kentucky to the buzzer they did the same to Alabama.

But how is a 15-6 team “trash” if you are what your record says you are? 🤔

Thunder, I like your take on BB. Is KY starting to find their way and play up to their potential or did we just have a bad game? They just look so much better now than they did earlier in Feb. Even when they don't win, they seem to be close. I'm hoping their record demands an SECt championship to make the Dance.

Great individual players even well into their bench. They played horribly but their length completely shut TN down. If they jell they can easily win 3 straight in the SECT and get their NCAAT bid. There isn’t any team in the SEC that couldn’t beat any other SECT team on a given night. But Kentucky also doesn’t have a really good, true PG. The SEC is a log jam this year, top to bottom.

Reactions: alvinkamara
Almost all the losses have been really bad too. Not so much to bad teams but like we played terribly. It's quite obvious to me that against any decent team in the postseason if we do another "the whole team does a disappearing act" then we'll lose and probably badly.

There are so many constant mistakes this team keeps doing and don't seem to get better at, or if they are better for 1-2 games then the 3rd they are back to doing them. It's a bit maddening.

In almost every loss there were one or two droughts that dug too deep of a hole for TN to dig out of. The young guys struggle and if the 3 upperclassmen are having off nights (which other than Bailey the other night, they have been) then even with all their talent they are not ready to carry the load.

Last edited:
TN is pretty good when at full strength. I’m not sure if they’ve lost when Springer, Fulk, JJJ, or Pons weren’t injured or if they weren’t the refs changed everything with cheap early fouls on key players. We need 1-7 to be 100% and not sitting due to refs over zealous whistles. Then the 8th spot can be somebody stepping up for a few minutes instead of playing major minutes because there’s nobody else that’s ready to play a major role.
That's probably true. I likely discounted JJJ's absence. Still, even his best game probably doesn't affect today's outcome outside of the margin of victory when so many guys just no-show on us.

That's probably true. I likely discounted JJJ's absence. Still, even his best game probably doesn't affect today's outcome outside of the margin of victory when so many guys just no-show on us.

JJJ may not put up the blow out stats, just steady and solid. I think that he is really missed when Fulk and Pons are off because with his size and strength he can give TN much help in the paint. Keon can mix it up inside as well, but he makes too many freshman mistakes to carry the offense.

That one guy’s 5x 1st half 3-pointers were daggers. TN was never able to pull close after KY built that cushion. If they would have been poor free throw shooters than TN would have chipped away at the lead when KY couldn’t make a field goal. Maybe Barnes had no choice and went with Gaines trying to slow down the 3-point barrage.

Reactions: Caculator
The SEC refs have been horrible. I’m not going to ignore it. You’re being an ass calling somebody a loser for commenting on how bad it’s been.

The refs are always horrible. Every year they are horrible, especially when we lose. This year is no different. If one of your biggest takeaways from this team is "as long as the refs don't hose us" then i question if you've even watched this team. We have plenty of issues to iron out before we get to the refs. Thats the equivalent of worrying about a scrape on your knee while you have 3 gunshot wounds.

Reactions: lefthander
JJJ may not put up the blow out stats, just steady and solid. I think that he is really missed when Fulk and Pons are off because with his size and strength he can give TN much help in the paint. Keon can mix it up inside as well, but he makes too many freshman mistakes to carry the offense.

That one guy’s 5x 1st half 3-pointers were daggers. TN was never able to pull close after KY built that cushion. If they would have been poor free throw shooters than TN would have chipped away at the lead when KY couldn’t make a field goal. Maybe Barnes had no choice and went with Gaines trying to slow down the 3-point barrage.
Yeah, it's pretty telling how inept we were offensively, today, when with 6 minutes to go in the game, UK was 3-22 shooting in the 2nd half, and still held the same 15-point lead they held at halftime.

The refs are always horrible. Every year they are horrible, especially when we lose. This year is no different. If one of your biggest takeaways from this team is "as long as the refs don't hose us" then i question if you've even watched this team. We have plenty of issues to iron out before we get to the refs. Thats the equivalent of worrying about a scrape on your knee while you have 3 gunshot wounds.

Calm down. You made up a quote that was never said. I question your ability to stitch together relevant information. I pointed out that in all of TN’s losses they weren’t at full strength. If it wasn’t injuries it was phantom fouls putting key post players out of the competition.

Refs had zero to do with today’s game. One team showed up ready and one didn’t. That’s it pretty plain and simple.

Define the intangible meaning of "elite". Kentucky has elite talent, virtually like no one else in the country. They've won 8 games this year! Can they win the SEC tourney? Hell yes! Could they win the NCAA? Maybe

Meaning we don't have a consistent do it all player that can take over game after game. Ja Morant comes to mind. The guard at OU a few years ago come to mind. We do have enough guard play or solid enough to win consistently if we had even average post play each game. We don't.

Technically any time can win the SEC tournament that plays but realistically heck no. The NCAA tourney? I think it's hard to win when you don't even make it but perhaps you're working with phuny math.

But how is a 15-6 team “trash” if you are what your record says you are? 🤔

Where is trash in my post?

The Vols definitely played like trash but it doesn't mean they are a trash team. They are solid. Round of 32 and could sneak into the Sweet Sixteen if the bracket is favorable.

Reactions: lefthander
Calm down. You made up a quote that was never said. I question your ability to stitch together relevant information. I pointed out that in all of TN’s losses they weren’t at full strength. If it wasn’t injuries it was phantom fouls putting key post players out of the competition.

I'm calm. Youre the one that called me an ass.

Listen, I get it. When you get called out and you know you're wrong, you just go to the insults. Its kinda cute and endearing really. You blamed the refs for the bulk of our losses, I quoted you and bolded it for you so you didn't miss it, and now you're backing off that. All you have to say is "you're right, the refs aren't really a major problem for this group".

Heaven forbid we look at this team for what it is. It's a good team that is flawed and inconsistent. I highly doubt it can put enough good performances together to get to the sweet 16 and beyond. We aren't the only team like that. Nothing wrong with admitting that. However, this team will be viewed as a disappointment when we were picked to win the SEC and we may not even get a bye in the SEC tourney. I think that is fair.

But hey, let's fault injuries and the refs. You know what, I bet a whole lot of other teams would be better if everything went absolutely perfect for them too. You're acting like we are the only team to deal with these things.

I'm calm. Youre the one that called me an ass.

Listen, I get it. When you get called out and you know you're wrong, you just go to the insults. Its kinda cute and endearing really.

Listen, you don’t. So now you’re a victim because I said “You’re being an ass calling somebody a loser for commenting on how bad it’s been.” Don’t you think saying somebody has a “loser” mentality is going to the insults?

I quoted you and bolded it for you so you didn't miss it, and now you're backing off that. All you have to say is "you're right, the refs aren't really a major problem for this group".

I don’t think that you understand what quoting somebody actually means.

The refs absolutely have been a problem. I’m not understanding how it hasn’t when we’ve been having players get into early foul trouble for touch fouls get sent to the bench early in several loses and when they return later players are getting thrown to the floor and there’s not a foul called.

I still am liking what I see from Olivier, this being a free year means he could be here another 3 seasons. I think he could step up his role next season, especially if Pons & Fulky don’t return.

Not sure where Pember, Plavsic or Gaines fit in. All 3 have great size & length, just not sure they are really going to be contributors at this level. Hoping I’m wrong.

Reactions: wmcovol
Listen, you don’t. So now you’re a victim because I said “You’re being an ass calling somebody a loser for commenting on how bad it’s been.” Don’t you think saying somebody has a “loser” mentality is going to the insults?

I said blaming the refs is a loser mentality, and anybody that has played athletics past middle school would tell you the same. Thats different than calling you a loser.

Not playing any victim card. I dont really see any reason to get upset over discussing basketball with total strangers on social media. So maybe quit transposing your disposition and hurt feelings onto others.

Reactions: vols 30 and wmcovol
ky respected the game more than Tennessee’s players did today. Cal had his kids ready. Barnes didn’t. JJJ playing or not wouldn’t have made any difference. Don’t embarrass yourself.

Ky is making improvement. Tennessee isn’t. They better get serious or they’ll lose at Vandy.

Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley
I'm going to say it again, things don't add up on Fulkerson. I'm seeing many say he's injured, but it's quite apparent Rick Barnes isn't buying that his poor play is due to injury or Covid or anything other than he's simply not getting it done. Barnes is clearly not happy with him.

So which is it, is Fulky really hurt and Barnes is FOS? Or are the injuries excuses and Barnes is right that Fulky step up and play better?

And no Barnes didn't turn into an idiot overnight, but he's also not known for making a lot of deep tournament runs. Right now he has a very inconsistent team so I'm not very confident a guy that isn't exactly known as Mr. March taking this team deep. We'll have to wait to see the matchups and all but I'm not feeling it right now.

Then again one of Pearl's "worse" teams actually did make a deep run so who knows.
You can’t go questioning fulkerson or his one man fan club “volinvandyland” will step up and tell you how good he is. Btw I agree with you

I still am liking what I see from Olivier, this being a free year means he could be here another 3 seasons. I think he could step up his role next season, especially if Pons & Fulky don’t return.

Not sure where Pember, Plavsic or Gaines fit in. All 3 have great size & length, just not sure they are really going to be contributors at this level. Hoping I’m wrong.
ON has really improved as the year has progressed. Playing more aggressive and physical. For the life of me I can’t understand why his mins aren’t going up because the other posts are not playing well at all

Reactions: MoCo_Vol

VN Store

Back