The Official #19 Tennessee vs. Kentucky Game Thread, 1:00 PM ET, CBS

UK is better than their record indicates. UT is not as good as everyone thought they were. If UT doesn't get it together, their tournaments will not go well. Hope they do.
UK was always talented, it was going to take time for a brand new Cal team to develop. Im interested in how close they get to making the tourney.

We were even with KY and then brought in Ticket and OAN and then we're down 9. And never got closer.

Too bad JJJ couldn't go today.
No offense - but when you get past our first 7 if all are healthy - there is a huge drop- off, staggering drop off, precipitous drop off, tremendous drop off. You had 3, possibly 4 guys who just can't create offense or score - are not offensive weapons on the court at one time. You just can't have that. It makes it very easy to focus on the one freshman who was in at that time.

Reactions: kbowersjr
Makes one believe they won't go far in the Tourney. SEC and NCAA
Doesn't seem likely because of the inability to string together multiple good performances. We seem to play at an Elite 8 level for a game or two, but it is consistently broken up by a game where we look like absolute manure on one or both ends of the floor. Tournament play is about getting hot and stringing together several great performances in a row. This team is allergic to that kind of consistency.

No offense - but when you get past our first 7 if all are healthy - there is a huge drop- off, staggering drop off, precipitous drop off, tremendous drop off. You had 3, possibly 4 guys who just can't create offense or score - are not offensive weapons on the court at one time. You just can't have that. It makes it very easy to focus on the one freshman who was in at that time.
Very true. Rick will have to send few of them to lower level were they can play. JJJ is the glue guy. He does the ugly stuff under the rim and we missed that today. Well on to Vanderbilt. In CHRIST Alone

Doesn't seem likely because of the inability to string together multiple good performances. We seem to play at an Elite 8 level for a game or two, but it is consistently broken up by a game where we look like absolute manure on one or both ends of the floor. Tournament play is about getting hot and stringing together several great performances in a row. This team is allergic to that kind of consistency.

TN is pretty good when at full strength. I’m not sure if they’ve lost when Springer, Fulk, JJJ, or Pons weren’t injured or if they weren’t the refs changed everything with cheap early fouls on key players. We need 1-7 to be 100% and not sitting due to refs over zealous whistles. Then the 8th spot can be somebody stepping up for a few minutes instead of playing major minutes because there’s nobody else that’s ready to play a major role.

Reactions: cncchris33
A direct line to why Ray Mears was the best coach that ever graced the Hill. He took the Vols from a really good defensive minded team with a controlled, half court offense, to a highly efficient, up-tempo offensive minded team. From 1970-1977, Mears predominately used a 7- man rotation on his teams. He completely changed philosophies in autumn 1974, when Bernard King graced our campus!. For the next 3 years, with neither a 3 PT shot nor a shot clock, the Vols averaged 85 pts/game! From 1974-75 season through 1976-77 season, King and Grunfeld averaged 48 pts/game together! Mike Jackson averaged 15/game during the same time period. Johnny Darden averaged 11 assists/game. When Reggie Johnson came in as a freshman for the 76-77 season, he contributed 12 and 9. Mears was a badass!

Reactions: Memvol44
TN is pretty good when at full strength. I’m not sure if they’ve lost when Springer, Fulk, JJJ, or Pons weren’t injured or if they weren’t the refs changed everything with cheap early fouls on key players. We need 1-7 to be 100% and not sitting due to refs over zealous whistles. Then the 8th spot can be somebody stepping up for a few minutes instead of playing major minutes because there’s nobody else that’s ready to play a major role.

Man, the ref blaming is such a loser mentality. Everyone has to deal with the refs at various points every single year. If you're a top 20 team, I don't want to hear "but the refs" every time we drop a game. It's an embarrassing mindset.

Our best players are young and we really don't have a true alpha we can lean on consistently. Therefore you will have an inconsistent team. It is what it is.

Reactions: alvinkamara
Man, the ref blaming is such a loser mentality. Everyone has to deal with the refs at various points every single year. If you're a top 20 team, I don't want to hear "but the refs" every time we drop a game. It's an embarrassing mindset.

Our best players are young and we really don't have a true alpha we can lean on consistently. Therefore you will have an inconsistent team. It is what it is.

The SEC refs have been horrible. I’m not going to ignore it. You’re being an ass calling somebody a loser for commenting on how bad it’s been.

Fulkerson is playing injured by choice.

I thought JJJ injury was minor but didn’t play today.

Walker isn’t doing something right if he’s not earning playing time. Could be his defense? Barnes isn’t happy with him.

Right now, we’re in a hole trying to dig ourselves out. However, it’s still too early to write this team off come tournament time.

We could early make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament. Barnes didn’t suddenly turn into an idiot overnight.

I'm going to say it again, things don't add up on Fulkerson. I'm seeing many say he's injured, but it's quite apparent Rick Barnes isn't buying that his poor play is due to injury or Covid or anything other than he's simply not getting it done. Barnes is clearly not happy with him.

So which is it, is Fulky really hurt and Barnes is FOS? Or are the injuries excuses and Barnes is right that Fulky step up and play better?

And no Barnes didn't turn into an idiot overnight, but he's also not known for making a lot of deep tournament runs. Right now he has a very inconsistent team so I'm not very confident a guy that isn't exactly known as Mr. March taking this team deep. We'll have to wait to see the matchups and all but I'm not feeling it right now.

Then again one of Pearl's "worse" teams actually did make a deep run so who knows.

Reactions: Tnphil and vols 30
I just haven’t seen significant development from any of the players from LY. All seem to about be the same guy if not worse.

I'm going to say it again, things don't add up on Fulkerson. I'm seeing many say he's injured, but it's quite apparent Rick Barnes isn't buying that his poor play is due to injury or Covid or anything other than he's simply not getting it done. Barnes is clearly not happy with him.

So which is it, is Fulky really hurt and Barnes is FOS? Or are the injuries excuses and Barnes is right that Fulky step up and play better?

And no Barnes didn't turn into an idiot overnight, but he's also not known for making a lot of deep tournament runs. Right now he has a very inconsistent team so I'm not very confident a guy that isn't exactly known as Mr. March taking this team deep. We'll have to wait to see the matchups and all but I'm not feeling it right now.

Then again one of Pearl's "worse" teams actually did make a deep run so who knows.

I'll go with posters making excuses and Barnes is frustrated by his play

I think Barnes is frustrated because nothing is obvious thats wrong with Fulk.
But ive wondered ( and im usually the last person to do this) If Fulk is having any ill affects from COVID that are still bugging him.

This team is toast. I’ve harped for weeks that we’re inconsistent as hell and it remains true. @cncchris33 said it best, in order to win in March you have to be playing great basketball night in and night out and we are allergic to that type of consistency.

Is the talent on the team there? Certainly. But I legitimately don’t think we have strung together 2 great performances in a row all SEC play. It’s typically one great performance and one good performance or one great performance and one complete egg on the face.

That lack of the consistency screams 5-seed losing to a 12. There will be a LOT of people picking us as a trendy team to get upset.

Don’t you have a Hallmark movie to watch, Princess?
Thunder, I like your take on BB. Is KY starting to find their way and play up to their potential or did we just have a bad game? They just look so much better now than they did earlier in Feb. Even when they don't win, they seem to be close. I'm hoping their record demands an SECt championship to make the Dance.

Almost all the losses have been really bad too. Not so much to bad teams but like we played terribly. It's quite obvious to me that against any decent team in the postseason if we do another "the whole team does a disappearing act" then we'll lose and probably badly.

There are so many constant mistakes this team keeps doing and don't seem to get better at, or if they are better for 1-2 games then the 3rd they are back to doing them. It's a bit maddening.

VN Store

Back