The Official #19 Tennessee vs. Kentucky Game Thread, 1:00 PM ET, CBS

My point. I’d preferred Barnes took a TO in the first half 15-0 run by UK but he rarely calls a TO in first half except for the one that doesn’t carry into the 2nd half. He saves them for the end but getting blown out they’re useless
Most coaches these days don’t call timeouts like they used to. Probably because you only get 4 for the game now instead of 5. It isn’t just Barnes.

A ton of guys get evaluated and then go on to never make it, those 2 will fall into that same category. They could turn into good college players but they likely won’t stay around long enough to get there.
Players have a greater ability to develop faster in the NBA.

They also have a great ability to realize they aren’t as good as they thought and off to France they go
Can you articulate that opinion with some detailed stats/analysis? Or is just one of your opinions that are are of reflective of "you just know" and cite some general stat

Exactly. $ometime$ there are rea$on$ recruit$ decide to go to other $chool$ in$tead of Tennessee. Perhap$ Coach Barnes’ staff i$n’t offering the type of perk$ other $taff$ are offering prized recruit$ the$e day$.
What are you trying to say?

Reactions: JCP201
We were even with KY and then brought in Ticket and OAN and then we're down 9. And never got closer.

Too bad JJJ couldn't go today.
We definitely need our best players to be healthy -- this team doesn't click without all of them. Hoping by tournament time....

Can you articulate that opinion with some detailed stats/analysis? Or is just one of your opinions that are are of reflective of "you just know" and cite some general stat
We will soon find out won’t we? Then we can revisit this conversation

A ton of guys get evaluated and then go on to never make it, those 2 will fall into that same category. They could turn into good college players but they likely won’t stay around long enough to get there.

But if they get a first round grade, they go. It’s a 3 year guaranteed contract with a 4th team option. I believe Grant Williams has roughly 5-6 million guaranteed as a late first round pick. It’s life changing money.

I had high hopes for ON, but like so many, he is regressing. Barnes is not doing a good job developing post talent.

Every time that last sentence is posted the BB forum gatekeepers lose their minds. I love Barnes and our team. He’s a very good coach, but some on here need to accept that all those recruiting misses in the post are killing us. Also not having a true PG since Bone was a huge mistake. We recruited a team full of wings and that’s about it.

Most coaches these days don’t call timeouts like they used to. Probably because you only get 4 for the game now instead of 5. It isn’t just Barnes.

Self called 2 in the first half when Tennessee got on runs. He didn’t wait till the end of the first half to use one already down 18.

Team was over hyped. Just like a football team I know. Tennessee will will exit early in both the SEC tournament AND the NCAA tournament.

The only place the football team was overhyped was in the football forum; which they always are.

To me the biggest problem with this team is not outside shooting or guard play but not that we are close to elite. The biggest problem is post play. We do nothing well in the post (score, shoot, draw fouls, block shots, rebound, disrupt, pass from post to post, post targets). I'm aware Pons is a good shot blocker/defender but besides him overall no one else is in the paint and none of them do the things I mentioned.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
We will soon find out won’t we? Then we can revisit this conversation
I didn't think you could articulate your opinion. Of course, by some slim chance, you could prove to be correct. It's certainly a possibility. The G league is pretty strong now.

To me the biggest problem with this team is not outside shooting or guard play but no we are not elite. The biggest problem is post play. We do nothing well in the post (score, shoot, draw fouls, block shots, rebound, disrupt, pass from post to post, post targets). I'm aware Pons is a good shot blocker/defender but besides him overall no one else is in the paint and none of them do the things I mentioned.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Define the intangible meaning of "elite". Kentucky has elite talent, virtually like no one else in the country. They've won 8 games this year! Can they win the SEC tourney? Hell yes! Could they win the NCAA? Maybe

Fulkerson is playing injured by choice.

I thought JJJ injury was minor but didn’t play today.

Walker isn’t doing something right if he’s not earning playing time. Could be his defense? Barnes isn’t happy with him.

Right now, we’re in a hole trying to dig ourselves out. However, it’s still too early to write this team off come tournament time.

We could early make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament. Barnes didn’t suddenly turn into an idiot overnight.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
UK is better than their record indicates. UT is not as good as everyone thought they were. If UT doesn't get it together, their tournaments will not go well. Hope they do.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards

VN Store

Back