The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I think both sides should agree to honor their agreements in good faith. I don’t think it’s in good faith for those grandfathered in for football tickets to confer them to others which is what almost all of the people I know of are doing. For the agreement at TBA it sounds more formal. Do those original donors get to pass their seats on?

I think both sides should agree to honor their agreements in good faith. I don’t think it’s in good faith for those grandfathered in for football tickets to confer them to others which is what almost all of the people I know of are doing. For the agreement at TBA it sounds more formal. Do those original donors get to pass their seats on?
For basketball, the original ticket owners and their spouse retain the tickets for life, and are then allowed to pass them down one generation at the same agreed arrangement that was proposed by the athletic department upon the original ticket holder's one-time, upfront donation to help fund Thompson-Boling Arena. That is my understanding.

No such deal exists anywhere in football that I am aware of, which is why I'm fine with altering the framework of the donation requirements and ticket prices for Neyland Stadium.

Well, my entire beef has been with the idea of taking basketball tickets from the original donors and their families, and you've argued the alternative perspective of that topic a number of times within this same discussion.

And I've also said I have no issue with changing the football model because to my understanding, there is no contract in place with current ticket holders.
Gotcha…others including myself had been discussing the football model which is all that has concrete info out right now about it, so I assumed that’s what was being discussed. Until the info is there for basketball it’s not worth arguing much about it imo.

For basketball, the original ticket owners and their spouse retain the tickets for life, and are then allowed to pass them down one generation at the same agreed arrangement that was proposed by the athletic department upon the original ticket holder's one-time, upfront donation to help fund Thompson-Boling Arena. That is my understanding.

No such deal exists anywhere in football that I am aware of, which is why I'm fine with altering the framework of the donation requirements and ticket prices for Neyland Stadium.
I will say that I have seen it mentioned multiple times that the TBA agreements for lifelong seats didn’t specify particular seats in writing, if that is the case are you saying you’d be ok with those grandfathered in being moved to the top row of TBA?

More narrative pushed by Basilio today. The UTAD has lawyers working on cancelling the lifetime seat licenses that were sold when the financial package to build the TBA was put together in the early-mid 1980s. IIRC, they were $1,000/seat and seemed crazy expensive at the time.

Basilio also said that Danny White’s buyout is $8 million and therefore he’s not concerned about pissing of the wrong people and getting fired.

Basilio. TIFWIW.
They were $5,000.

I will say that I have seen it mentioned multiple times that the TBA agreements for lifelong seats didn’t specify particular seats in writing, if that is the case are you saying you’d be ok with those grandfathered in being moved to the top row of TBA?
I would want to see that in writing under the original details of the agreement, and even then, I'd venture to guess it was, at the very least, implied that the seats wouldn't be subject to change. Why would someone agree to that? Who would make a donation to get primo seats in the lower level on the front end without some explicit, or implicit (at a minimum) assurance that the lifelong tickets being promised couldn't be changed on a whim?

It's hard for me to comment on it without having any first-hand knowledge of the written details of the original agreement. But if that major detail wasn't addressed in the original contract, I'd have no choice but to be OK with it. It certainly is curious that it has taken 35 years for it to become an issue. It wasn't likely a major consideration when Wade Houston, Kevin O'Neill, and Buzz Peterson were coaching, and we averaged less than 8000 fans most nights. But we have been quite successful and a popular event for the majority of the last 15 years in basketball, so I wonder why it has taken so long for Tennessee to try and cash in on such a profitable loophole, if one like you mentioned actually exists?

Barnes on Zakai

“Our fans are going to love him. Because he brings a lot of energy. He’s a player that shoots the ball extremely well. Can get in there amongst the big guys. And that will be an adjustment. He’ll have to learn how to get there. He does get it there, he gets it there. He’s going to have to work his way out of there when things aren’t the way you read it going in. But he’s already shown the ability to do that. But his energy, and the fact that he just plays at a high level, seems like he never gets tired. Just keeps going and competes. He, Kennedy, along with all of our freshmen, their first step will be that they get consistent on the defensive end. They’ve got to get better there. But you would expect that coming in. Understanding the tempo, the pace, the grind of it. All that will be new to them. But as I’ve said, up to this point, everything we’ve asked them to do, they’ve done.”

On Chandler

“Yes, he has. He shows it. And we talk about this, not just with Kennedy but with all of our guys, to be an elite player, you have to be an elite-conditioned athlete. With that said, that’s an area we’ve really pushed him (and) everyone on. I do think this month will be important for him to do that. He has shown that explosiveness that you would expect from him. But we want to see him bring that same explosiveness to the defensive end, where he can show that he can create some havoc on that end. As opposed to just not being a guy that just creates havoc on the offensive end. He certainly has the ability to do it. He’s a fun person to be around. A really good leader because it’s never about him. He wants to be a great teammate. He is a great teammate. Zakai (Zeiger) coming in has been good for him, for Kennedy, having someone that everyday — and Santi (Vescovi) obviously with his experience — those three guys at the point give us some depth that we’ve never really had at that position.”

My grandfather got season tickets in the 70's and we have sat in the exact same 4 spots since then. My understanding is that we had an opportunity when I was born (around 30 years ago) to change the tickets into my name, since I was the youngest in the family at the time, so they would be attached to my life not my grandfathers. I think up until then you could change the holder while retaining the grandfathered in status. But from what my family has told me, they knew this would be changing, hence why they wanted to put the tickets in someone's name who was younger to hold onto that grandfathered status as long as possible. (They never got around to transferring them though due to a few different reasons).

I have also been told that UT has someone watching for the obits of those grandfathered in so the families cannot keep the tickets under the holders name after they passed. I have been planning to pay the donation once he passes just to keep the "family seats" so to speak, but I understand why some would not.

I asked this in another thread and it never got answered, but is the exhibition game against lenior-rhyne free? I can't remember when I went to it in the past if it is or not. @cncchris33 @bleedingTNorange Any help? Thanks
Definitely not free. As a season ticket holder, it is part of your ticket package, I believe. To purchase tickets, they aren’t expensive.

Reactions: Willy14
Wow, trade JV for nothing and now, making it even harder to buy a ticket (well, get into the game with your ticket), I bet attendance plummets, this year

Idk what the strategy is with buying out every bad contract in the NBA lol

But this policy would make me more likely to attend than not. So it goes both ways.

Wow, trade JV for nothing and now, making it even harder to buy a ticket (well, get into the game with your ticket), I bet attendance plummets, this year

Attendance won’t plummet because they were only about 25% capacity last season. They will be fine.

Jonas only had one year left on his deal. This front office knows what they are doing and taking some risks to find a third star-type player. Also, see below about getting more picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: berryvol
Idk what the strategy is with buying out every bad contract in the NBA lol

But this policy would make me more likely to attend than not. So it goes both ways.

They moved up 7 spots in the first round of this past year’s draft by trading JV and also moved up in the second round. They also could have 3 first round picks in 2022. Adams is a better defender but not as good offensively, and he has 2 years left at basically the same deal as JV. They moved Bledsoe and then Beverly for Culver, who has underachieved as a lottery pick but at a good deal.

Reactions: berryvol
They won't make the play-in games and/or the playoffs, imo. Hope they find that 2nd star to go along with that 3rd one, u all want.

They won't make the play-in games and/or the playoffs, imo. Hope they find that 2nd star to go along with that 3rd one, u all want.

They made the playoffs last year, and Jarren was hurt. They aren’t trying to be an 8th place team. They are trying to be much better. You have to take chances in a small market because it won’t be through free agency.

VN Store

Back