The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

There are a ton of lesser talented teams that have played us close or beaten us over the last two decades. Plenty. I’m kind of sick of following football recruiting and seeing these supposedly talented classes do nothing for our program. Get me some smart, coachable, hard-working kids who fit into whatever system they want to run and let’s get a real football coach who can develop them and start being competitive.

Personally, CF has been very boring to watch. Not because we’ve sucked recently, Saban has built a dynasty that opposing teams simply can’t match.

You have a category of Bama in their own, then it’s Clemson and Ohio St. Everybody else is at the bottom of the barrel.

It’s not balanced and I’ve become less interested in watching it over the years.

College Basketball is simply more fun to watch now.

College football, as a product right now, sucks. It just does. It’s the same 3 teams in the playoff each year (Bama, OSU, Clemson) and then you get Oklahoma or Notre Dame vying for that elusive opportunity to get their ass beat by Bama in the first round.

I’m not sure what needs to change, but something needs to change. It’s not an exciting product right now. It doesn’t help that Tennessee sucks, but I just don’t get excited for football like I used to.

Reactions: i2amavol
Simply put, if CJH is going to succeed at Tennessee, he and his staff are going to have to prove how good of a coach they are on the field rather than in the living room. He certainly isn’t going to out-talent anyone within the first five years. Prove it on the field with improvement each year and the talent will come in time. In the meantime, he is going to have out-prepare and outscheme more talented teams while maintaining a hyperfocus on development of kids who likely weren't blue chip 4 and 5-star kids.

And there is a model for that - Rick Barnes and his first few years at Tennessee. And that's the same model that Kellie Harper will most likely have to follow. Build it and they will come.

Reactions: cncchris33
Simply put, if CJH is going to succeed at Tennessee, he and his staff are going to have to prove how good of a coach they are on the field rather than in the living room. He certainly isn’t going to out-talent anyone within the first five years. Prove it on the field with improvement each year and the talent will come in time. In the meantime, he is going to have out-prepare and outscheme more talented teams while maintaining a hyperfocus on development of kids who likely weren't blue chip 4 and 5-star kids.

It may take 5 years, but with the transfer portal, I think it can be done much quicker now. You get rid of the ones that don't fit your program, and pick up the ones that hopefully do. The turnaround COULD BE much quicker than that though.

You might not reach BAMA/CLEMSON level in 2 years, but I think you could be nipping at their heels.

It may take 5 years, but with the transfer portal, I think it can be done much quicker now. You get rid of the ones that don't fit your program, and pick up the ones that hopefully do. The turnaround COULD BE much quicker than that though.

You might not reach BAMA/CLEMSON level in 2 years, but I think you could be nipping at their heels.
I love your optimism but I think we wholly disagree on just how large the gap is between Tennessee and Alabama. Bama just had 6 kids drafted in the 1st round, last weekend. Tennessee had two kids drafted, period, and you’d have to combine the results of the previous 13 NFL drafts to add up 6 1st rd picks for Tennessee. If we are nipping on their heels in two years, Heupel has completely flipped the roster and is the second coming of Dabo Swinney. Maybe that happens but I wouldn’t bet on it.

I love your optimism but I think we wholly disagree on just how large the gap is between Tennessee and Alabama. Bama just had 6 kids drafted in the 1st round, last weekend. Tennessee had two kids drafted, period, and you’d have to combine the results of the previous 13 NFL drafts to add up 6 1st rd picks for Tennessee. If we are nipping on their heels in two years, Heupel has completely flipped the roster and is the second coming of Dabo Swinney. Maybe that happens but I wouldn’t bet on it.
Exactly this.

I understand fans who don't want to acknowledge within themselves just how deep of a hole UT football is in. Nobody wants to hear that.

Unfortunately, I think it's true.

We haven't even been consistently beating Mizzou, Kentucky, SC, and Vandy. It will likely take us 3-4 years to even get to that point again and finishing 3rd in the East. We're a ways off from competing and challenging UF and UGA, let alone Bama.

I'm not saying it will happen. I'm just saying it is lot easier in the new recruiting environment.

Edit: I also have question in my mind as to how much of it was a problem with coaching vs. how much of it was a true lack of talent.

Last edited:
The Vols will be playing in the Hall of Fame Tip-Off Classic this year along with Purdue, Villanova, and North Carolina. We will find out really fast how good this team is going to be. All four teams should be ranked at beginning of season.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
The Vols will be playing in the Hall of Fame Tip-Off Classic this year along with Purdue, Villanova, and North Carolina. We will find out really fast how good this team is going to be. All four teams should be ranked at beginning of season.

My guess is we'll find out how good they are at the beginning of the season, but not how good they might become. I'm guessing they will be thrown in the deep end and asked to swim real fast. With a brand new PG trying to figure out Barnes system, it could be rough at the beginning.

LSU picked up a 2021 5-Star big man Efton Reid today. Between the transfer market and this 5-star, LSU reloading again. The SEC is going to be a problem for quite some time in basketball. So much talent in this league now, and a lot of quality coaches.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
LSU picked up a 2021 5-Star big man Efton Reid today. Between the transfer market and this 5-star, LSU reloading again. The SEC is going to be a problem for quite some time in basketball. So much talent in this league now, and a lot of quality coaches.
Sorry but you can’t use quality coach and LSU in the same post. LSU and sleaze bag is ok.

Sorry but you can’t use quality coach and LSU in the same post. LSU and sleaze bag is ok.
Unfortunately Will Wade can be both a sleaze bag and quality coach in terms of what talent he recruits and how they produce on the court. SEC looks like they have turned a corner in basketball to me in terms of the overall quality of league from top to bottom. Things can change quickly though if Wade gets what's coming to him and coaches like Musslemen and Oates look for opportunities at one of the blue bloods. Lots of attractive offers will be coming for those two. I just hope Barnes sticks around for a few more years.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Admiral was reportedly going to be signed by Orlando, but they ended up not signing him. Never saw why, but that would be unfortunate if true

TyTy Washington to UK. They have a nice mixture of freshmen and transfers coming in to go with returning upperclassmen. If they land Sahvir Wheeler and return Isaiah Jackson and Davion Mintz, they are probably the favorites to win the SEC, next year.

PG: Washington, Wheeler (UGA), Mintz
SG: Dontaie Allen, Grady (Davidson), Fredrick (Iowa)
SF: Keion Brooks, Jacob Toppin
PF: Oscar Tshiebwe (WVU), Bryce Hopkins
C: Isaiah Jackson, Daimion Collins, Lance Ware

That kind of blend of freshmen talent and upperclassmen leadership is something Cal hasn’t had since probably 2014-15.

TyTy Washington to UK. They have a nice mixture of freshmen and transfers coming in to go with returning upperclassmen. If they land Sahvir Wheeler and return Isaiah Jackson and Davion Mintz, they are probably the favorites to win the SEC, next year.

PG: Washington, Wheeler (UGA), Mintz
SG: Dontaie Allen, Grady (Davidson), Fredrick (Iowa)
SF: Keion Brooks, Jacob Toppin
PF: Oscar Tshiebwe (WVU), Bryce Hopkins
C: Isaiah Jackson, Daimion Collins, Lance Ware

That kind of blend of freshmen talent and upperclassmen leadership is something Cal hasn’t had since probably 2014-15.

Meh, Cal doesn’t scare me anymore. Barnes has had plenty success against him.

Nate Oats is the one we should be worried about in the SEC now.

VN Store

Back