The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

TyTy Washington to UK. They have a nice mixture of freshmen and transfers coming in to go with returning upperclassmen. If they land Sahvir Wheeler and return Isaiah Jackson and Davion Mintz, they are probably the favorites to win the SEC, next year.

PG: Washington, Wheeler (UGA), Mintz
SG: Dontaie Allen, Grady (Davidson), Fredrick (Iowa)
SF: Keion Brooks, Jacob Toppin
PF: Oscar Tshiebwe (WVU), Bryce Hopkins
C: Isaiah Jackson, Daimion Collins, Lance Ware

That kind of blend of freshmen talent and upperclassmen leadership is something Cal hasn’t had since probably 2014-15.
And yet just a couple weeks ago people were talking about Kentucky/Cals demise.

Meh, Cal doesn’t scare me anymore. Barnes has had plenty success against him.

Nate Oats is the one we should be worried about in the SEC now.
I’m not scared of him, and I know you hate Kentucky, so much so that it tends to prompt some irrationality, at times. This is perhaps one of those times if you can’t acknowledge that this is an extremely strong team on paper.

Being scared of Cal has nothing to do with it. Cal is clearly evolving his system in the way he did 12-13 years ago when the 1-and-done model became en vogue. The transfer portal is going to have a similar effect. Say what you want about his on-floor coaching ability, but his ability to adapt and achieve is impressive. And I say that as someone who hates Kentucky as much as you do.

I’m not scared of him, and I know you hate Kentucky, so much so that it tends to prompt some irrationality, at times. This is perhaps one of those times if you can’t acknowledge that this is an extremely strong team on paper.

Being scared of Cal has nothing to do with it. Cal is clearly evolving his system in the way he did 12-13 years ago when the 1-and-done model became en vogue. The transfer portal is going to have a similar effect. Say what you want about his on-floor coaching ability, but his ability to adapt and achieve is impressive. And I say that as someone who hates Kentucky as much as you do.

The transfer portal will be as beneficial to him as anyone else. He can still recruit one and dones but then find seniors from mid majors who dream of playing for an elite program to fill roles.

Reactions: cncchris33
The transfer portal will be as beneficial to him as anyone else. He can still recruit one and dones but then find seniors from mid majors who dream of playing for an elite program to fill roles.
Maybe Barnes can go this route if it proves successful for Cal/others?

TyTy Washington to UK. They have a nice mixture of freshmen and transfers coming in to go with returning upperclassmen. If they land Sahvir Wheeler and return Isaiah Jackson and Davion Mintz, they are probably the favorites to win the SEC, next year.

That kind of blend of freshmen talent and upperclassmen leadership is something Cal hasn’t had since probably 2014-15.
Man. That's a scary team

Reactions: berryvol

Cal is going to get his fair share of talent every year, no surprises there.

The point is, Barnes has always had success against Cal since he’s been at Tennessee. He’s been able to recruit with him and out coach him during games.

There’s certain coaches in the SEC that Barnes tends to struggle against every year like Wade, Pearl, and Oats. Those are the ones we should be more concerned about considering they seem to have our number more recently.

The point is, Barnes has always had success against Cal since he’s been at Tennessee. He’s been able to recruit with him and out coach him during games.

There’s certain coaches in the SEC that Barnes tends to struggle against every year like Wade, Pearl, and Oats. Those are the ones we should be more concerned about considering they seem to have our number more recently.
Wade and Pearl, I’ll give you, but Barnes is 1-1 vs Oats.

And my point is that Cal has declined each year with his one-and-done model in the 6 years Barnes has been coaching at Tennessee. If Cal is changing his model, perhaps it changes his results. Barnes never faced Cal’s best UK teams, and I don’t say that to minimize Barnes’s accomplishments against UK.

But since Barnes has been at Tennessee, Cal is 27-9, 32-6, 26-11, 30-7, 25-6, 9-16...(149-55, .730) won the SEC 3x, and 0 Final Fours.

Before Barnes, Cal was 35-3, 29-9, 38-2, 21-12, 29-11, 38-1...(190-38, .833) won the SEC 3x, 4 Final Fours, 1 NCAAT Championship.

Man. That's a scary team

It is. Kentucky seems to have really upgraded their shooting. I hope we have too. Anyone know just how capable Chandler and BHH are as three point shooters? I know Powell will help.

I read Chandler is a decent to pretty good shooter, and BHH is good for his size. But what can we expect from them? Are they both guys that are capable of hitting 35-40% from three? Would make a world of difference if so.

That’s probably Cals deepest team in years and talented but is there anyone on that team that is a superstar ready to carry the team. I think Cal needs that to really compete for titles. They can be good next year but not national champions Caliber IMO.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
That’s probably Cals deepest team in years and talented but is there anyone on that team that is a superstar ready to carry the team. I think Cal needs that to really compete for titles. They can be good next year but not national champions Caliber IMO.
A lot of that is unknown at this point, but who was Baylor's superstar, this year? Or Virginia's 2 years ago? Both had a collection of really good players, but nobody you looked and said, "that kid can take over any game he wants to".

It is. Kentucky seems to have really upgraded their shooting. I hope we have too. Anyone know just how capable Chandler and BHH are as three point shooters? I know Powell will help.

I read Chandler is a decent to pretty good shooter, and BHH is good for his size. But what can we expect from them? Are they both guys that are capable of hitting 35-40% from three? Would make a world of difference if so.
That is the key, I think, in addition to introducing and maintaining the veteran presence of some older guys like Grady, Brooks, Allen, and Mintz.

Reactions: csheaton
A lot of that is unknown at this point, but who was Baylor's superstar, this year? Or Virginia's 2 years ago? Both had a collection of really good players, but nobody you looked and said, "that kid can take over any game he wants to".
Baylor and Virginia have better coaches imo. That was kind of my point. Cal won a championship when he had the two best college players on his team. Cal has his qualities but he needs the best talent to really win at a high level. None of these players strike me as great players.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Baylor and Virginia have better coaches imo. That was kind of my point. Cal won a championship when he had the two best college players on his team. Cal has his qualities but he needs the best talent to really win at a high level. None of these players strike me as great players.
In 15 years as a head coach, Tony Bennett has made it to the second weekend of the tournament 4 times. He’s lost in the 1st rd 3 times.

In 19 years as a head coach, Scott Drew has made it to the second weekend of the tournament 5 times. He’s missed the NCAAT entirely 9 times and gotten bounced in the 1st rd 3 times, as well.

Those guys are better coaches than John Calipari? Better than the guy with 6 Final Fours between 3 programs? The guy who has only missed the NCAAT 8 times in 29 seasons as a head coach? The guy who has only lost in the 1st rd once in his career? The guy who has only missed making the 2nd weekend 6 times in 20 NCAAT appearances?

Tony Bennett and Scott Drew are better than that guy? Really? We’ll agree to disagree. I’m hardly one to carry water for Cal, but at some point if you have to admit that getting the best players is half the battle.

Reactions: AngryButchJones

Some of our fans claim CRB is a below average in game coach. If this were true, Calipari must be a high school level coach?

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
In 15 years as a head coach, Tony Bennett has made it to the second weekend of the tournament 4 times. He’s lost in the 1st rd 3 times.

In 19 years as a head coach, Scott Drew has made it to the second weekend of the tournament 5 times. He’s missed the NCAAT entirely 9 times and gotten bounced in the 1st rd 3 times, as well.

Those guys are better coaches than John Calipari? Better than the guy with 6 Final Fours between 3 programs? The guy who has only missed the NCAAT 8 times in 29 seasons as a head coach? The guy who has only lost in the 1st rd once in his career? The guy who has only missed making the 2nd weekend 6 times in 20 NCAAT appearances?

Tony Bennett and Scott Drew are better than that guy? Really? We’ll agree to disagree. I’m hardly one to carry water for Cal, but at some point if you have to admit that getting the best players is half the battle.
Calipari is a better recruiter. That is half the battle as you said. Give Cal the players drew and Bennett have had over the years and he had a worse record IMO. Cal has lost more games with superior talent than any coach. This team doesn’t have that elite talent he needs to win.

Calipari is a better recruiter. That is half the battle as you said. Give Cal the players drew and Bennett have had over the years and he had a worse record IMO. Cal has lost more games with superior talent than any coach. This team doesn’t have that elite talent he needs to win.
You're hyperfocused on what that potential lineup doesn't have relative to what has made Cal successful in the last decade instead of the presence of what he has been missing in that same time, most particularly in the last 6 years; experience, shooting, and leadership.

Do you know for certain that Washington or Collins aren't those guys? Are you certain that a sophomore Isaiah Jackson isn't a version of Nerlens Noel? I'm not. As I said, a lot of that is to be determined.

You're hyperfocused on what that potential lineup doesn't have relative to what has made Cal successful in the last decade instead of the presence of what he has been missing in that same time, most particularly in the last 6 years; experience, shooting, and leadership.

Do you know for certain that Washington or Collins aren't those guys? Are you certain that a sophomore Isaiah Jackson isn't a version of Nerlens Noel? I'm not. As I said, a lot of that is to be determined.
I’m not hyper focused on anything. Just posting random thoughts on a message board. We will see how uk does this year. I think they will be around a top 10 team but no better.

I’m not hyper focused on anything. Just posting random thoughts on a message board. We will see how uk does this year. I think they will be around a top 10 team but no better.
Well sure, that’s about where I’d put them...top 10. Hard to make a prediction beyond that with any level of certainty. Top-10 is a pretty nice place to start for a team that you don’t seem to believe is championship-level. Any team in the top 10 has a shot.

When UVA won it all in 2019, they were preseason #5. The other F4 teams were Michigan St (#10), Auburn (#11), and Texas Tech (unranked).

Saying you were hyperfocused wasn’t meant as an insult, so please don’t take it that way. It was just a means of noting that your focus was intensively centered around what they don’t have that you view as paramount, and less on what they do have (which they have lacked in recent years when they have struggled) that I believe is important and can possibly increase their chances more than potentially not having a superstar player would. I say “potentially” because we don’t know whether they have that guy, or not.

Jeff Goodman's Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25 for 2021-22 - Stadium

Jeff Goodman finally decided to update his Pre-Season Top 25 now that Kentucky has had a string of good luck. We're no longer UR like the last poll. We're now his #15 team. I feel like that's about where I expect most to have us by the time the year starts. Lots of talent and experience on this team. High ceiling. High floor. It's all going to be about if Barnes' can get the most out of his rotation unlike this past season.

Reactions: LittleCat
Danny White bought Butch Jones’ house for $3.3mm. The new CEO for Pilot bought the house a lot or two over from Jeremy Pruitt. Shameek’s and Danny’s wives can exchange coupons and share recipes.

Last edited:

Baylor had the national DPOY, an All American guard and another all conference guard who was really good. I wouldn't call any of them superstars, but that's 3 high level players that you could probably call "stars".

UVA had D'Andre Hunter, who was chosen number 4 overall in the NBA draft. I would say he qualifies as a superstar. His counting stats don't look great because of the UVA style of play, but he was an elite college player that year.

Jeff Goodman's Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25 for 2021-22 - Stadium

Jeff Goodman finally decided to update his Pre-Season Top 25 now that Kentucky has had a string of good luck. We're no longer UR like the last poll. We're now his #15 team. I feel like that's about where I expect most to have us by the time the year starts. Lots of talent and experience on this team. High ceiling. High floor. It's all going to be about if Barnes' can get the most out of his rotation unlike this past season.
A lot of the ones I’ve seen recently have us in that 12-18 range, which seems pretty fair.

Baylor had the national DPOY, an All American guard and another all conference guard who was really good. I wouldn't call any of them superstars, but that's 3 high level players that you could probably call "stars".

UVA had D'Andre Hunter, who was chosen number 4 overall in the NBA draft. I would say he qualifies as a superstar. His counting stats don't look great because of the UVA style of play, but he was an elite college player that year.
But if you add any of those players to this potential UK squad, are they sure-fire superstars in the same vein as Anthony Davis, John Wall, or Karl-Anthony Towns? I seriously doubt it. That is what the OP seems to take exception with; the belief that UK won't have a player of that caliber, and thus Cal can't win at a high level with this team.

Baylor and UVA won playing team ball and great defense, not because they had 1 or 2 superstar players who just grossly out-talented every team in their path.

Again, using Hunter as your example, look at the jump he made from FR to SO year. Who is to say Isaiah Jackson doesn't make that kind of leap and become a superstar? That kid has a TON of potential.

Reactions: The Dog

VN Store

Back