The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Yeah but that wasn't his point. Both have pretty long regular seasons that the results can be pretty much trashed in the playoffs. And the 7 game series isn't always true.

Ask the Lightning about that.

The NBA and NHL have meaningless regular seasons other than making sure a team makes the playoffs

Reactions: k-town_king
Can someone explain the issue with the Michigan hire? Why is it being ridiculed by many? Not looking to disagree, I just don’t know anything about the guy other than that he was part of the Fab Five

Can someone explain the issue with the Michigan hire? Why is it being ridiculed by many? Not looking to disagree, I just don’t know anything about the guy other than that he was part of the Fab Five
I'm not ridiculing the hire in itself as much as I am criticizing the idea that hiring a slam dunk replacement is a certainty like many who objected to paying Barnes instead of telling him to pound sand would have had you believe. Michigan, who has infinitely more history than Tennessee and recently played in two national title games, wound up with a guy who has never been a head coach at any level or a college coach of any kind. That's a pretty steep drop from John Beilein, but many of our fans would have you believe we could just throw out $4 mil/yr and have our choice of coaches. Maybe Howard kills it at UM, but he isn't the kind of coach you likely imagined a program like UM would have to approach.

I'm not ridiculing the hire in itself as much as I am criticizing the idea that hiring a slam dunk replacement is a certainty like many who objected to paying Barnes instead of telling him to pound sand would have had you believe. Michigan, who has infinitely more history than Tennessee and recently played in two national title games, wound up with a guy who has never been a head coach at any level or a college coach of any kind. That's a pretty steep drop from John Beilein, but many of our fans would have you believe we could just throw out $4 mil/yr and have our choice of coaches. Maybe Howard kills it at UM, but he isn't the kind of coach you likely imagined a program like UM would have to approach.

It’s also mid-May. It’s impossible to get a proven college coach at this point. If it was March Howard wouldn’t have gotten the job

Ok that makes sense, thanks

Y’all are ridiculous. I don’t know if Juwan Howard is gonna work and it’s definitely a risky hire, and being a Michigan man definitely helped. But this idea that he’s just an alumni with zero credentials and no coaching experience is laughable. He’s been an NBA assistant for six years. He’s interviewed for NBA head coaching jobs. He’s worked under Erik Spoelstra and Pat Riley. He las legitimate qualifications.

Christian Laettner has been an NBA assistant for five years?
Good lord, man. You know exactly the relational point I was trying to make. Don't be so intentionally obtuse.

Restated:
So, if Coach K quits tomorrow, you think Duke is settling for Christian Laettner Juwan Howard?

Y’all are ridiculous. I don’t know if Juwan Howard is gonna work and it’s definitely a risky hire, and being a Michigan man definitely helped. But this idea that he’s just an alumni with zero credentials and no coaching experience is laughable. He’s been an NBA assistant for six years. He’s interviewed for NBA head coaching jobs. He’s worked under Erik Spoelstra and Pat Riley. He las legitimate qualifications.
Cool, since no one said that, I guess your point is...?

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
Good lord, man. You know exactly the relational point I was trying to make. Don't be so intentionally obtuse.

Restated:
So, if Coach K quits tomorrow, you think Duke is settling for Christian Laettner Juwan Howard?

Sorry but you made a stupid point.

No, since Howard doesn’t have any ties to Duke, he’s not going to get that job. But I don’t think they are going to get whoever they want on May 22nd. Would you consider Steve Wojciechowski a home run hire? Because that would probably be who they hire.

Well your compared him to Laettner, someone with zero qualifications. Maybe next time make a better comparison 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
Well, if that's the point you think I was trying to make, you aren't very perceptive. But I know you know better, so clearly you're just being intentionally contrary about it.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
Well, if that's the point you think I was trying to make, you aren't very perceptive. But I know you know better, so clearly you're just being intentionally contrary about it.

Or you could just say that it was a stupid comparison, because it was. Patrick Ewing at Gtown is a much better comparison.

Like I said, I don’t know if it’s going to work, and Howard being a UM alum is a big factor. But this guy would have been an NBA coach in three years.

The point is Duke would get a better more qualified coach even at this time of the year

Well yeah Duke is also a better job than Michigan by far. But Duke wouldn’t have as big of a pool compared to if they had to make a hire in Mid May instead of March.

Some will this is as a Hot take but I think it's the truth

There are way better coaches in college than in the NBA

Some will this is as a Hot take but I think it's the truth

There are way better coaches in college than in the NBA

It’s a completely different animal. In terms of actual coaching acumen, the NBA is miles better. But that doesn’t mean that an NBA coach will be successful in college and vice versa.

VN Store

Back