The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

It’s a completely different animal. In terms of actual coaching acumen, the NBA is miles better. But that doesn’t mean that an NBA coach will be successful in college and vice versa.

Imo the NBA is much more about the players than the coaches.

In college coaches get credit for the players than have so we have an inflated view of their auctual on court coaching in many cases

Or you could just say that it was a stupid comparison, because it was. Patrick Ewing at Gtown is a much better comparison.

Like I said, I don’t know if it’s going to work, and Howard being a UM alum is a big factor. But this guy would have been an NBA coach in three years.
The comparison had nothing to do with their coaching resumes; simply their collegiate affiliation. But then, you already know that and are just being difficult. Ironic, as it's the same approach and attitude you'd put BTO or Bruin on blast for. Glass houses, I guess.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
Imo the NBA is much more about the players than the coaches.

In college coaches get credit for the players than have so we have an inflated view of their auctual on court coaching in many cases

Yeah it’s definitely more about managing players, but you also have to manage a lot of information and make decisions based off that more than in college.

There’s a reason there’s been an incredibly small amount of success for college coaches going to NBA.

The comparison had nothing to do with their coaching resumes; simply their collegiate affiliation. But then, you already know that and are just being difficult. Ironic, as it's the same approach and attitude you'd put BTO or Bruin on blast for. Glass houses, I guess.

Or you know, you could just say “okay you’re right that was a dumb comparison because Howard has been coaching in the NBA and Laettner hasn’t.” It was an incredibly lazy take and you know it. And instead of just admitting it was a bad take, you’re doubling down saying “well you get my point, glass houses blah blah blah”. Even with you’re college affiliation point, it was still a bad point, because again, Howard has a legitimate resume. Laettner doesn’t.

If Michigan had hired Jalen Rose, that would be if Duke hired Christian Laettner or Jay Williams. My point being, yes Howard being a UM alum is a significant factor. Also, it being mid-May and Beilein unexpectedly leaving also played a factor into Howard’s hiring. He still does have a solid resume even with those factors. How it will play out, who the hell knows.

Or you know, you could just say “okay you’re right that was a dumb comparison because Howard has been coaching in the NBA and Laettner hasn’t.” It was an incredibly lazy take and you know it. And instead of just admitting it was a bad take, you’re doubling down saying “well you get my point, glass houses blah blah blah”. Even with you’re college affiliation point, it was still a bad point, because again, Howard has a legitimate resume. Laettner doesn’t.

If Michigan had hired Jalen Rose, that would be if Duke hired Christian Laettner or Jay Williams. My point being, yes Howard being a UM alum is a significant factor. Also, it being mid-May and Beilein unexpectedly leaving also played a factor into Howard’s hiring. He still does have a solid resume even with those factors. How it will play out, who the hell knows.
Nope, you're just looking for the "win" here by nitpicking my statement and trying to make it a literal apples to apples comparison when that was never the intent, which I've stated multiple times to no avail. Again, it had nothing to do with their resumes. Using Laettner was a dramatic attempt at drawing the conclusion that Duke isn't settling for an alumnus with zero head coaching or college coaching experience, even in May

Obviously, I know Howard has relevant coaching experience and Laettner doesn't. And you know I'm smart enough to know the difference in their respective resumes, so no need to keep hammering away at this argument like you're talking to a novice basketball fan who is talking out of his rear end.

And you are right, Howard may kill it. He may fall on his face. Who knows? I said the same thing 30 posts ago.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
He was being pursued and removed name from consideration...my post remains which you didn't answer. Are there not available coaches?

Cooley interviewed but was not offered the job. He interviewed and worked out an extension with Providence. So Cooley didn’t turn down Michigan. Maybe he was told they’re going in a different direction.

There are. Not that are available of Howard’s upside. According to Brandon Quinn, had Howard not worked out, they were going to talk with Frank Martin and Kevin Willard. I’ll take my chances with Howard there.

If this was happening in March, I would be willing to bet Michigan would be looking at a different set of candidates

Cooley interviewed but was not offered the job. He interviewed and worked out an extension with Providence. So Cooley didn’t turn down Michigan. Maybe he was told they’re going in a different direction.

There are. Not that are available of Howard’s upside. According to Brandon Quinn, had Howard not worked out, they were going to talk with Frank Martin and Kevin Willard. I’ll take my chances with Howard there.

If this was happening in March, I would be willing to bet Michigan would be looking at a different set of candidates
So like I said, who was available in April they’d have pursued?

BaseVols make the NCAAT for the first time since 2005.

They are the #2 Seed in the Chapel Hill Regional. UNC is the #1 seed, Liberty is #3 and UNCW is #4. Vols play Liberty Friday at 7:00 PM EST.

Reactions: Vol49er
BaseVols make the NCAAT for the first time since 2005.

They are the #2 Seed in the Chapel Hill Regional. UNC is the #1 seed, Liberty is #3 and UNCW is #4. Vols play Liberty Friday at 7:00 PM EST.
Not that it really matters, since they still play Liberty, but UT is the 3 seed and Liberty the 2. I think UT got a good draw that is within driving distance from Knoxville. I'm predicting the Vols to, at least, make the finals of the regional, hopefully without a loss and UNC will have to beat them twice on Sunday. Either way, Vitello is doing a hell of a job, so far

Not that it really matters, since they still play Liberty, but UT is the 3 seed and Liberty the 2. I think UT got a good draw that is within driving distance from Knoxville. I'm predicting the Vols to, at least, make the finals of the regional, hopefully without a loss and UNC will have to beat them twice on Sunday. Either way, Vitello is doing a hell of a job, so far

Incorrect. Tennessee is the #2 seed.

2019 Division I Baseball Official Bracket | NCAA.com

Some will this is as a Hot take but I think it's the truth

There are way better coaches in college than in the NBA
That’s not a hot take at all IMO.

The college game is much more pure than the NBA and requires the head coach to carry a lot more responsibility. In college, the buck stops with the coaching staff, in the NBA head coaches are at the mercy of ownership, front office leadership, etc. Heck, if you’re LeBron’s coach you essentially report to him.

College coaches recruit their own players and don’t have to deal with things like salary negotiations effecting on-court performance. Not all, but most NBA coaches have GM’s and Owners drafting/signing their players for them. Often times an NBA head coach doesn’t even have complete control of their rotation.

Think about how many bad NBA coaches have won titles. David Blatt won 17 championships in 8 different international leagues across Europe, Israel and Russia. Yet in America he lasted all of 18 months because LeBron didn’t like him. I don’t think anyone would argue that Ty Lue is a better X’s and O’s guy than Blatt, but he’s the one who ended up with a ring. In fact, they each coached 41 games that season with Blatt winning 31 of 41 and Lue winning 27 of 41.

Great head coaches like Pop are a dying breed in the NBA. And much as Steve Kerr’s teams have changed the way the NBA game is played he’s never coached a team with fewer than 3 All Stars.

Reactions: BruinVol
That’s not a hot take at all IMO.

The college game is much more pure than the NBA and requires the head coach to carry a lot more responsibility. In college, the buck stops with the coaching staff, in the NBA head coaches are at the mercy of ownership, front office leadership, etc. Heck, if you’re LeBron’s coach you essentially report to him.

College coaches recruit their own players and don’t have to deal with things like salary negotiations effecting on-court performance. Not all, but most NBA coaches have GM’s and Owners drafting/signing their players for them. Often times an NBA head coach doesn’t even have complete control of their rotation.

Think about how many bad NBA coaches have won titles. David Blatt won 17 championships in 8 different international leagues across Europe, Israel and Russia. Yet in America he lasted all of 18 months because LeBron didn’t like him. I don’t think anyone would argue that Ty Lue is a better X’s and O’s guy than Blatt, but he’s the one who ended up with a ring. In fact, they each coached 41 games that season with Blatt winning 31 of 41 and Lue winning 27 of 41.

Great head coaches like Pop are a dying breed in the NBA. And much as Steve Kerr’s teams have changed the way the NBA game is played he’s never coached a team with fewer than 3 All Stars.
Yup and then you look at a Coach like Billy D, who imo is a top 5-10 coach in college basketball, but just can't win a Championship in the NBA and probably never will.

Reactions: IndianapolisVol

VN Store

Back