The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

Did I say it doesn’t make a difference? Or did I say “I don’t see a massive difference”?

Would we be better with Bone back? Sure. Do I think he’s the difference in this being a 30 win team or 20 win team? No I don’t.

He’s the difference between being a bubble team and being solidly in the tournament. That’s massive

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
What they said^^. I still think we have above average guards. But we’re going to get bullied on the glass

I think some of you forget that Lamonte Tutner outplayed Bone in the postseason just two months ago. We aren't dropping from an A to a D+, here.

Agreed BUT next years team is going to have to play differently. It's my hope Barnes allows this team more freedom on the permiter and with Bone that is worth those 1-3 more wins.

Agreed BUT next years team is going to have to play differently. It's my hope Barnes allows this team more freedom on the permiter and with Bone that is worth those 1-3 more wins.
I agree Bone is worth a couple more wins, probably, but only because it would increase our SR depth at the most important position. It's not because Lamonte Turner is a hack.

It seems a little like stating the obvious to suggest that an NBA-level PG wouldn make a team better. I don't think you'll find anyone to disagree with that idea.

I agree Bone is worth a couple more wins, probably, but only because it would increase our SR depth at the most important position. It's not because Lamonte Turner is a hack.

It seems a little like stating the obvious to suggest that an NBA-level PG wouldn make a team better. I don't think you'll find anyone to disagree with that idea.

Agreed.
Turner is a dang good player but he doesn't create a lot of offesne off the dribble. I content the style of offense we played held Bone back some and with Grant gone we might be willing to change that style

Y’all our missing the point (hehe).

It’s not a shot at Lamonte Turner or JJ. Those guys can play. The thing you’re missing is that Jordan coming back bumps everyone down. It means we don’t have to rely on JJ, Pons, Gaines. That’s worth 5 wins.

Y’all our missing the point (hehe).

It’s not a shot at Lamonte Turner or JJ. Those guys can play. The thing you’re missing is that Jordan coming back bumps everyone down. It means we don’t have to rely on JJ, Pons, Gaines. That’s worth 5 wins.

Without knowing who else gets added to the roster, who is eligible/ineligible, and how guys have progressed that is impossible to say.

As others have stated it’s obvious you add someone like that you are better, how much better is the question and there’s no real way (especially today) to prove it either way.

I don’t have access to do it but KenPom you can add/remove players, I’m betting same roster with/without Bone won’t be a 5 win difference.

Reactions: walkenvol
Without knowing who else gets added to the roster, who is eligible/ineligible, and how guys have progressed that is impossible to say.

As others have stated it’s obvious you add someone like that you are better, how much better is the question and there’s no real way (especially today) to prove it either way.

I don’t have access to do it but KenPom you can add/remove players, I’m betting same roster with/without Bone won’t be a 5 win difference.

Bone was worth 4.8 win shares last year. So that’s pretty close

Yeah, I'm not nearly as worried about our guard play next year as I am with our post play, which is mostly an unknown.
Total speculation but it seems to me James will play a lot of point (call it point guard or point forward) next year offensively and let Turner defend the PG defensively. A lot of screens will be set for Bowden on baseline and for his patented curls. I agree and am less concerned with our perimeter play. Post play we have no idea. Clearly our margin of error next year is going to be smaller, but thankfully college basketball has so much transition and roster changes year to year it isn’t as if we are the only team dealing with good players leaving. I’m praying Burns can give us 10 pts per game and 6 boards with some low post presence, Fulkerson gives us hustle points and scrappy play. (Barnes seems to believe in Fulky). And the other bigs just play hard and don’t play timid or afraid. I hope Barnes pushes the tempo even more next year. Grant isn’t going to be around to bail us out when the offense stalls.

VN Store

Back