The NCAA should just let our penalties go for paying players here is why

We can’t say on one hand to commit to the university and not a coach, then say on the other that the football violations were just the coach and not the university. The NCAA does not view us as the Jeremy Pruitt Volunteers. The university made the poor choice to hire a terrible representative of our school. Now we face the consequences of that poor choice. I hope the NCAA hows some leniency because we have actively attempted to rectify that poor choice, but the fact remains we still made a poor choice.

Reactions: ohhbother
Well, I for one would say the violations were cruel, and he Pruitt might’ve done all of this on purpose, but they released him without pay. Why punish the university? They done their jobs to catch everything, and even cleaned house, and did turn it over to the NCAA. I say leave the university and the football program alone. We did everything right.
I never understood the idea of punishing kids that were in high school at the time for the crimes committed by others that are no longer there. If people want to stop cheating hit coaches where it would hurt them the most. Their wallet.

I never understood the idea of punishing kids that were in high school at the time for the crimes committed by others that are no longer there. If people want to stop cheating hit coaches where it would hurt them the most. Their wallet.
I do agree, hit the coaches wallets.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
NCAA dealings never go well for us. I fully expect them to go on TV to announce sanctions and open with this...
6005c98a-c19b-484e-aab3-289da53d44ea_text.gif

I think the NCAA is going to draw a line between a player being paid by EA Sports for his "name, image and likeness," on the one hand, and a school paying a player to come to their university, on the other.

Those are actually different things. Bet money the NCAA treats them as different, too.
No, the NCAA has never done an adequate job of addressing gray areas in the past and the variances will be totally ignored at schools like Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State.

My thoughts?

Disband the NCAA and let the Power 5 conferences elect a new Board of Governors to rewrite everything.

Maybe then schools like TN under the Power 5 umbrella can get the same preferential treatment that the select blue bloods currently get from the NCAA.

NCAA dealings never go well for us. I fully expect them to go on TV to announce sanctions and open with this...
View attachment 368705
They will be making an example out of a school that has involved the NCAA at every step and fostered cooperation in an investigation. Making that kind of example will destroy what remains of the program and place it on an SMU competition level. Boosters are already avoiding additional donations with the program. It is becoming more and more difficult for the program to keep its head above water financially and make financial obligations to improve baseball and Neyland. Under the existing scrutiny we can’t buy players like Clemson, Alabama, and UGA and recruiting probably will not be on a competitive SEC level this year.

If the NCAA takes the serious punitive route then UT had better start looking for a conference it can be competitive in.

I have said this in another thread: If you got caught selling pot 2 years ago and went to jail and then the state you live in legalizes pot are you still in jail? The answer is yes.

We "allegedly" paid players last year (and before) and got caught, they just have not sent us to jail yet.

My issue with this whole thing is the coach or staff person causes the issue in the first place. That coach/person has the opportunity to go coach at another college and never have to pay for the "crime" he did at the last college. The penalty should apply to both coach and college. The coach should not be able to walk away free and clear. I know there is a "show cause" penalty but how often does that really get used?
And, the player taking the money should be banned from playing NCAA football or basketball. That would stop a lot of it.

I guarantee most coaches have "plausible deniability". Beldar was just too stupid to distance himself and his staff from the payouts.

We had to cheat because bama was recruiting too well.

Since this is bama's fault they should be the ones penalized!

They will be making an example out of a school that has involved the NCAA at every step and fostered cooperation in an investigation. Making that kind of example will destroy what remains of the program and place it on an SMU competition level. Boosters are already avoiding additional donations with the program. It is becoming more and more difficult for the program to keep its head above water financially and make financial obligations to improve baseball and Neyland. Under the existing scrutiny we can’t buy players like Clemson, Alabama, and UGA and recruiting probably will not be on a competitive SEC level this year.

If the NCAA takes the serious punitive route then UT had better start looking for a conference it can be competitive in.
It would make sense for the NCAA to take it easy on us. That's part of why I'm a afraid they won't. They rarely do what makes sense. Or maybe I'm just used to disappointment.

VN Store

Back