The myth of Pruitt being an elite recruiter

A lot of people on here seem to think Pruitt is an elite recruiter but if you look at the numbers, that really isn’t the case. His recruiting rankings tend to be right in the middle of the pack for the SEC, and he’s behind where Butch was at this point in his tenure, and he’s about equal to Dooley. I won’t count the 2018 class for Pruitt since that was a transition year, but according to 247Sports, our recruiting class was 7th best in the SEC in both 2019 and 2020...so basically right in the middle. Our 2021 class is currently 5th but that is a little deceiving because we’ve already filled out 27 spots, while the highest of any team behind us just has 20 spots filled. In particular, Texas A&M is 6th with 9 fewer commitments than us, Auburn is 7th with 14 less commitments, and Arkansas is 8th with 8 fewer commitments. It is fairly likely that we will get passed by all those teams, especially with the way we have been playing lately. So the best case scenario is probably ending up 8th in the SEC for the 2021 class.

People often criticize Dooley for dropping the ball in regards to recruiting, so let’s take a look at his two full classes. In 2011, 247Sports had us at 6th in the SEC, and then we were 8th in 2012. That is an average of 7th, the same as Pruitt through his first two full classes. Finally, if we look at Butch’s first 3 full classes, we were 5th in 2014, 2nd in 2015, and 7th in 2016 in the SEC. Therefore, Butch had an average of 4.7, compared to 7 for Dooley and Pruitt. So basically, my point is that while Pruitt’s recruiting has been decent, it is definitely not elite, at least not to the point it would make up for our deficiencies in coaching and player development. Pruitt would need to be recruiting at a Kirby Smart level probably for it to actually make up for his bad coaching. Also, coaches typically get a bump in recruiting their first several seasons when they can sell recruits on hope for the future and immediate playing time. You have to figure Pruitt won’t be able to do that for much longer and will need to show actual results on the field.
The fact that we are only going to win 2 games and people haven’t jumped ship says a lot about his recruiting imo.. either that or a lot about the character of the ones he got. (The highly rated ones)

8th in the SEC equals a 6-6, 7-5 record ceiling. I am amazed that fanatics can't see that.
Does not matter who coaches the team.

Actually it does matter who the coach is. There are teams who have beat us with much less talent on the field than we have. A good coach coaches the players up. Gets them fired up to play and many times out play their potential. And when this happens your recruiting gets better. Like this year, we have more talent than Ark, Ky, and probably Auburn, but they all beat us soundly. And of course last year, Ga. State

I don't think the problem is with recognizing player talent. Coaching talent, OTOH......

I actually think we have a decent roster minus the qb he keeps playing. A good qb with this roster we could be competitive with any team.

Agreed. I am not saying Pruitt doesn't have some very obvious flaws. Whether he can identify his flaws and adapt will determine if he's successful as a HC here or elsewhere.

I also don't see a realistic candidate worth bringing in at this point. The cupboard is finally being stocked with quality players that other SEC programs genuinely want - and recruiting rankings don't relay all of the nuance. Dooley pulled in some absolute studs (Bray, CP84, Da'rick, JH) but he also completely neglected the need to build 2-deep line depth. Pruitt's recruiting strategy has, thus far, really impressed me for what we need to be successful again.

Throwing away a consecutive Top 10-12 national class for a high-risk G5 hire that may not be any better seems pretty ignorant at this point. I'd rathe take the chance that the staff we have, that has been responsible for many national titles across the sport, will adequately identify their shortcomings and adjust.

HB missed spring with injury and got 2 fall practices before the SC opener. Those of you thinking he should have started over JG in game one are high. However, at this point, he just needs to be getting experience whether we lose or not. Trotting JG out as the starter from here on would be unhealthy for all parties involved.

Well I look at our record. There is no way we would lose more with Bailey as qb than we have lost, and at this point he would be greatly improved as a qb. Jg should have never seen the field again after last years bama game. Jg is a proven loser. He seems like a great guy but a terrible qb, the sooner he goes the sooner ut plays better. Just look at last year, our turn around came after jg was benched. The whole team played better. jg gives us the best chance to lose the game, not win the game. I think Pruitt is a very good coach in all areas but the qb. Something is going on here with Jg. Pruitt is too smart of a coach to think jg gives us the best chance to win. There are freshman starting in many places that are doing a good job. Yes spring and fall practice was cut short but we are 6 games into the season now, and could have been game planning for Bailey all this time, but instead according to practice reports all the time has been spent on jg. Even Pruitt said he didn't have time to spend with Bailey. For such little practice Bailey has had he has looked very good, and will continue to improve with game time play. Play Bailey and get ready for next year, don't wait until next year to get him the game experience he needs. Do it now and he will be ready at the start of next season; and it may save Pruitts job. Again take away the qb play and we are competitive now.

Actually it does matter who the coach is. There are teams who have beat us with much less talent on the field than we have. A good coach coaches the players up. Gets them fired up to play and many times out play their potential. And when this happens your recruiting gets better. Like this year, we have more talent than Ark, Ky, and probably Auburn, but they all beat us soundly. And of course last year, Ga. State
What criteria do you use to evaluate talent?
Stars and smiley faces given to boys in high school mean nothing.
Teams with the best players win most of the time.
If you lose, chances are you don't have the best talent.
Getting players fired up is a job for their girlfriends.
Improving recruiting is a function of the bagmen.
I have doubts that there is a player on the Vol team that could make the squad at AL, GA, or Fl.
Very few could play at LSU, TAM, or Auburn.
That puts us where we are, at the bottom.

I see your point, but when you get blown out by KY at home and have lost 5 straight by double digits, you are worse than just bad QB play.

Not really.

Defense gave up 17 points to Kentucky. Our offense scored 17 points for them. All 17 of those points came off of JG turnovers.

Moreover, Kentucky is highly dependent upon their run game and is a bad passing team. If we hadn't turned the ball over and converted on offensive drives, we're up at least 17-0 at the half and Kentucky is forced to throw the ball (and play to their weakness) in the 2nd half. Instead, due to JG's turnovers, it's reversed and we're forced to play to our weakness. Essentially, JG's turnovers turned what-should've-been a UT blowout into a Kentucky blowout.

The Alabama game we played super-conservative to hide JG. The Arkansas game we played super-conservative to hide JG. JG made another critical pick-6 against Auburn that amounted to a 14 point swing; that's the ballgame right there.

Even the good JG games, his stat lines have read like "140 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs". You can't win games like that in the modern era. Maybe in 1982, but no one is winning big in 2020 with a QB throwing for less than 150 yards.

Bailey did more good in 1 freakin' drive against Auburn than JG did all game.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
Not really.

Defense gave up 17 points to Kentucky. Our offense scored 17 points for them. All 17 of those points came off of JG turnovers.

Moreover, Kentucky is highly dependent upon their run game and is a bad passing team. If we hadn't turned the ball over and converted on offensive drives, we're up at least 17-0 at the half and Kentucky is forced to throw the ball (and play to their weakness) in the 2nd half. Instead, due to JG's turnovers, it's reversed and we're forced to play to our weakness. Essentially, JG's turnovers turned what-should've-been a UT blowout into a Kentucky blowout.

The Alabama game we played super-conservative to hide JG. The Arkansas game we played super-conservative to hide JG. JG made another critical pick-6 against Auburn that amounted to a 14 point swing; that's the ballgame right there.

Even the good JG games, his stat lines have read like "140 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs". You can't win games like that in the modern era. Maybe in 1982, but no one is winning big in 2020 with a QB throwing for less than 150 yards.

Bailey did more good in 1 freakin' drive against Auburn than JG did all game.
I keep hearing Bailey doesn't have JG's arm. Hell, there have been numerous qbs who didn't have a cannon. They made up for it with timing with the WR, accuracy, doing the little things like varying cadence, looking off dbs, etc. What use is a cannon if you don't know how to use it or can't do the other things a qb needs to do? JG has been at this for year...YEARS...now and the light isn't coming on and never will. There are only 3 precious opportunities remaining in a season up in flames. Get something out of it. Go full youth movement and get these kids live reps. The young guys are Pruitt's recruits. What's he waiting for? At this point in the season, they should at least have an idea on what to do. Simplify things and get these youngsters on the field. Don't care if the game plan is see ball/get ball. Play the youth.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
A lot of people on here seem to think Pruitt is an elite recruiter but if you look at the numbers, that really isn’t the case. His recruiting rankings tend to be right in the middle of the pack for the SEC, and he’s behind where Butch was at this point in his tenure, and he’s about equal to Dooley. I won’t count the 2018 class for Pruitt since that was a transition year, but according to 247Sports, our recruiting class was 7th best in the SEC in both 2019 and 2020...so basically right in the middle. Our 2021 class is currently 5th but that is a little deceiving because we’ve already filled out 27 spots, while the highest of any team behind us just has 20 spots filled. In particular, Texas A&M is 6th with 9 fewer commitments than us, Auburn is 7th with 14 less commitments, and Arkansas is 8th with 8 fewer commitments. It is fairly likely that we will get passed by all those teams, especially with the way we have been playing lately. So the best case scenario is probably ending up 8th in the SEC for the 2021 class.

People often criticize Dooley for dropping the ball in regards to recruiting, so let’s take a look at his two full classes. In 2011, 247Sports had us at 6th in the SEC, and then we were 8th in 2012. That is an average of 7th, the same as Pruitt through his first two full classes. Finally, if we look at Butch’s first 3 full classes, we were 5th in 2014, 2nd in 2015, and 7th in 2016 in the SEC. Therefore, Butch had an average of 4.7, compared to 7 for Dooley and Pruitt. So basically, my point is that while Pruitt’s recruiting has been decent, it is definitely not elite, at least not to the point it would make up for our deficiencies in coaching and player development. Pruitt would need to be recruiting at a Kirby Smart level probably for it to actually make up for his bad coaching. Also, coaches typically get a bump in recruiting their first several seasons when they can sell recruits on hope for the future and immediate playing time. You have to figure Pruitt won’t be able to do that for much longer and will need to show actual results on the field.

Add the hefty total assistant coaches pay and it's a diminishing return.

Another thread could aslo be made about the mirage of him being an elite defensive mind. That was obviously false, plenty of talent of this year's defense but they're horribly coached. That much is obvious.

Another thread could aslo be made about the mirage of him being an elite defensive mind. That was obviously false, plenty of talent of this year's defense but they're horribly coached. That much is obvious.
While I won't argue he's over rated as a DC, a lot of his success was simply the amount of talent he had at Bama. I can't agree with our talent on defense. The DL isn't anywhere close to the level needed to compete for the SEC east crown. The LBs haven't shown me much all year long. Even Henry T hasn't live up to his lofty status after a solid freshman year. Neither Banks or Crouch look like they're home at LB. That unit is a mess. Personally, I'd have one or both back at RB and play some of the younger LBs on the roster. Can't be much worse than those two. The secondary is what really has me scratching my head. Pruitt seems to load up in the secondary every recruiting class, and he's know for his prowess in the defensive backfield yet the position seems lost at times. Inconsistent on the whole. Despite Pruitt telling everyone that we've closed the gap, I just don't see it especially on defense.

Reactions: hog88

VN Store

Back