The myth of Pruitt being an elite recruiter

Anybody that’s paid attention to recruiting over the past 10 years knows you didn’t relish being on the other side of him for a prospect. Even when you landed one, they’d feel bad about disappointing him. Recruiter of the year in 2012. Man’s made a lot of mistakes worth bashing. Let’s not make up crap.

Last 2 classes ranked 7th in the conference. That’s not good enough, spare me the recruiter of the year crap

Our recruiting class was 13th in 2019 and 10th this past year. If you think there is a large discrepancy in those 2 years and what Florida or Auburn have finished over the same time frame, I have some ocean front property in Nebraska to sell you.

It's not a talent issue. We have plenty of talent to challenge anyone. It's entirely a coaching issue. And the main issue is having a QB that gives the opposing team free points more often than he scores them himself. But again, that's also on the coaches for continuously running him out there.

Last 2 classes ranked 7th in the conference. That’s not good enough, spare me the recruiter of the year crap

To play Devil's advocate, there hasn't been much difference between 4 and 7 the past 2 years.

Of course, the most damning comparison to Pruitt's coaching ability is the team closest to us in recruiting the past several years: Florida. Both schools on average b/w 6 and 7 over past 7 years.

Reactions: Carp
No I won’t spare you. It’s dumbtarded to state he’s not a good RECRUITER. By “conference”, you do realize it’s the SEC? He’s landing talent...just not doing enough with it. That’s on him.

Agree with this overall thesis.

Pruitt is recruiting about middle of the pack in the SEC and has little to nothing to sell beyond playing time going forward.

Not going to win many titles with middle of the road talent running antiquated defensive and offensive schemes.

Think Dooleys biggest gaffe in recruiting had more to do with his final season. He basically didn't even try and they went a class with zero O linemen.

I'm more amazed we have fans that still think "titles" are relevant conversation for this program, considering we've gone 16 straight years losing 4+ games per season.
Where have some of you all been? We have a losing record vs. Vandy in the last 5. Have basically split with Kentucky and SC, and Mizzou still has a game on us.

So many fans have on the blinders and don't see how far down this program was/is. That's fine if you want to think we're still on the level of Georgia or Florida, but we just aren't. Since 1975, Georgia has had 2 seasons they didn't make the Top 25. We've had 7 in the last 15 years. That's not Pruitt's fault..in fact, in 2018 we won ZERO SEC football games. Zero. He elevated that to a winning SEC record in just his second cycle. That doesn't happen by accident when playing the toughest schedule in the toughest conference in college football.

It's fine to have high expectations, and it's fine to call out coaching blunders, but some of you need to reassess where this program is, and where it can realistically go in a league with 10 other schools offering similar resources and motivation. We've been trying the coaching carousel method for the better part of a decade with very limited success.

Literally just beating Vandy is a step in the right direction from where we've been. The whole hiring-hyping-firing cycle is a recipe for losing. Ask us. Ask Texas. Ask Michigan. Ask UCLA. Ask Miami. Ask Florida State. Ask Nebraska.

Perhaps the best thing for this program is to stop with the knee-jerk snowflake routine, cheer for the good times, and provide a little continuity to a program that desperately needs to quit turning over new shiny rocks. We are what we are, but the negative energy some of you losers propagate will be toxic to anyone that takes this job.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
No I won’t spare you. It’s dumbtarded to state he’s not a good RECRUITER. By “conference”, you do realize it’s the SEC? He’s landing talent...just not doing enough with it. That’s on him.

Yes, I realize it’s the SEC. That’s the conference he competes in, which means if he’s not pulling in a top 3 or 4 class in the conference then he‘s building a roster that’s worse than the top half of the teams he competes with. He’s done ok and pulled in some good players, but again, it’s about winning battles against the teams you compete with. National ranking means very little.

I'm more amazed we have fans that still think "titles" are relevant conversation for this program, considering we've gone 16 straight years losing 4+ games per season.
Where have some of you all been? We have a losing record vs. Vandy in the last 5. Have basically split with Kentucky and SC, and Mizzou still has a game on us.

So many fans have on the blinders and don't see how far down this program was/is. That's fine if you want to think we're still on the level of Georgia or Florida, but we just aren't. Since 1975, Georgia has had 2 seasons they didn't make the Top 25. We've had 7 in the last 15 years. That's not Pruitt's fault..in fact, in 2018 we won ZERO SEC football games. Zero. He elevated that to a winning SEC record in just his second cycle. That doesn't happen by accident when playing the toughest schedule in the toughest conference in college football.

It's fine to have high expectations, and it's fine to call out coaching blunders, but some of you need to reassess where this program is, and where it can realistically go in a league with 10 other schools offering similar resources and motivation. We've been trying the coaching carousel method for the better part of a decade with very limited success.

Literally just beating Vandy is a step in the right direction from where we've been. The whole hiring-hyping-firing cycle is a recipe for losing. Ask us. Ask Texas. Ask Michigan. Ask UCLA. Ask Miami. Ask Florida State. Ask Nebraska.

Perhaps the best thing for this program is to stop with the knee-jerk snowflake routine, cheer for the good times, and provide a little continuity to a program that desperately needs to quit turning over new shiny rocks. We are what we are, but the negative energy some of you losers propagate will be toxic to anyone that takes this job.

It's also worth noting at no point in our history that getting spanked by a GA State team coming off a 2-10 season, getting spanked by an Arky team that entered season with 20 game SEC losing streak, and getting curbstomped by 27 at home to UK are justifiable events...

Reactions: djohnnyg
Yes, I realize it’s the SEC. That’s the conference he competes in, which means if he’s not pulling in a top 3 or 4 class in the conference then he‘s building a roster that’s worse than the top half of the teams he competes with. He’s done ok and pulled in some good players, but again, it’s about winning battles against the teams you compete with. National ranking means very little.
Gotta win the games then the minute difference in the rankings go up. THAT is the failure...not the recruiting. Dooley and Butch aren’t in the same conversation with him.

It's also worth noting at no point in our history that getting spanked by a GA State team coming off a 2-10 season, getting spanked by an Arky team that entered season with 20 game SEC losing streak, and getting curbstomped by 27 at home to UK are justifiable events...
Agreed. I am not saying Pruitt doesn't have some very obvious flaws. Whether he can identify his flaws and adapt will determine if he's successful as a HC here or elsewhere.

I also don't see a realistic candidate worth bringing in at this point. The cupboard is finally being stocked with quality players that other SEC programs genuinely want - and recruiting rankings don't relay all of the nuance. Dooley pulled in some absolute studs (Bray, CP84, Da'rick, JH) but he also completely neglected the need to build 2-deep line depth. Pruitt's recruiting strategy has, thus far, really impressed me for what we need to be successful again.

Throwing away a consecutive Top 10-12 national class for a high-risk G5 hire that may not be any better seems pretty ignorant at this point. I'd rathe take the chance that the staff we have, that has been responsible for many national titles across the sport, will adequately identify their shortcomings and adjust.

HB missed spring with injury and got 2 fall practices before the SC opener. Those of you thinking he should have started over JG in game one are high. However, at this point, he just needs to be getting experience whether we lose or not. Trotting JG out as the starter from here on would be unhealthy for all parties involved.

Reactions: 0311 and sami
How can Pruitt & Weinke be considered good coaches, just look at JG pathetic QB fundamentals. JG's footwork, or should I say lack of footwork is pathetic for a 5th yr senior, as his starring down receiver something he should have fixed in high school.

Just watch the video of the Auburn touchdown interception. Watch his helmet and you can see he never looked anywhere except at the receiver, easy interception. Even more troubling is look at this feet, he receives the snap not with his feet close together so he can go left, or right, or forward, or backward, or jump if snap is high, but his feet are spread in a fixed position and he can't move from that point, and he can't step up to throw, he is flat footed and relies entirely on arm strength and flinging his hip to generate velocity which is why he is so inaccurate throwing. It is also why he gets killed in backfield, he can't side step the defender because he is in a stationary fixed position, similar to how those plastic toy soldiers were made that we had as kids.

What has Weinke been doing for 2 years?

Note to Weinke, watch how Harrison Bailey does it, great footwork.

Smoke Monday smokes UT for 100-yard pick-six
JG is an untrainable subject. Can’t blame Weinke
for that. You can blame the person who decides JG is the starter each week.

UT will not be back until they hire a stellar coach who can excel in recruiting. And if there is not one this program is dead.

Reactions: jeff1vol
8th in the SEC equals a 6-6, 7-5 record ceiling. I am amazed that fanatics can't see that.
Does not matter who coaches the team.

Give FREEZE that talent and see what kind of record you end up with. 10-2 ? HF is a Football Coach. We haven't seen that in 20 years.

There are several on this staff that have no business coaching D1 Football

Brian Niedermeyer
Will Friend
Shelton Felton
Tee Martin
Derek Ansley
Chris Weinke

They all need to GTFO

Totally agree. Just watch our Defense. Receivers running wide open ; nobody within 10 yards. But, Ansley is Pruitt's Buddy. Same with Friend, Felton & Weinke. There's you trouble.

I agree about Pruitt and his decision to play JG, but I see the same fundamental QB issues with both Strout and Maurer, both telegraph their throws and make poor decisions, throwing into double and triple coverage at times. Those guys don't seem to get it either and maybe they don't get enough reps or they are not being properly trained, or maybe they are not trainable either.

Bailey has had a personal trainer since he was 6 and it shows in his throwing motion, straight over the top classic delivery, wham, bam ball is gone, no wind up.

Reactions: VOLED
Agreed. I am not saying Pruitt doesn't have some very obvious flaws. Whether he can identify his flaws and adapt will determine if he's successful as a HC here or elsewhere.

I also don't see a realistic candidate worth bringing in at this point. The cupboard is finally being stocked with quality players that other SEC programs genuinely want - and recruiting rankings don't relay all of the nuance. Dooley pulled in some absolute studs (Bray, CP84, Da'rick, JH) but he also completely neglected the need to build 2-deep line depth. Pruitt's recruiting strategy has, thus far, really impressed me for what we need to be successful again.

Throwing away a consecutive Top 10-12 national class for a high-risk G5 hire that may not be any better seems pretty ignorant at this point. I'd rathe take the chance that the staff we have, that has been responsible for many national titles across the sport, will adequately identify their shortcomings and adjust.

HB missed spring with injury and got 2 fall practices before the SC opener. Those of you thinking he should have started over JG in game one are high. However, at this point, he just needs to be getting experience whether we lose or not. Trotting JG out as the starter from here on would be unhealthy for all parties involved.

I think if you can get a Freeze type coach, you pull the trigger. If not, then roll it back since hiring another bargain bin guy will likely lead to more failure.

I dont look at the national titles won on Saban's staff as a barometer of their ability in their current role. Pruitt won natty's as a CB coach and DC, again, what was his HC record before he got here? Ansley won as CB coach at Bama, again what's his record as DC before here? Remember Sal Sunseri had won plenty of national titles too and we saw what kinda DC he was.

What about the incredible improvement Jared Goff and Nick Foles had the year after they were away from Weinke? Pro Bowl and Super Bowl MVP. respectively...

You can see JG's mechanics in 2018 vs Auburn vs 2020 in Auburn and see he has regressed from a fundamental perspective as well

Reactions: BeardedVol
What about the incredible improvement Jared Goff and Nick Foles had the year after they were away from Weinke? Pro Bowl and Super Bowl MVP. respectively...
Better offensive schemes and HC’s had nothing to do with that?

Better offensive schemes and HC’s had nothing to do with that?

Yes, obviously. McVay did indicate how he had to rebuild Goff's mechanics and Foles was very vocal about his Rams struggles (My son did a book report on Foles for an Eagles fan teacher so that was detailed in his biography (who knew Foles had a biography?))

Everything good in DFW area? Gonna be out there tomorrow.

Recruiting as HC probably would be different than recruiting as an assistant. I remember him remarking about only getting 1 visit as the HC when he was 1st hired.

I was not arguing for or against Pruitt being fired in my post. I was simply pointing out that he’s only recruiting at about a middle of the pack level in the SEC. There was a lot of hype about Pruitt’s recruiting acumen when he was hired, and I think he’s been a disappointment in that regard. While he may have been a great recruiter at his previous stops, he was recruiting for programs that were frankly just easy to recruit top players to.

I get it, but honestly, with all the coaches he has lost + playmakers, why is anyone surprised about the inconsistent play on the field? The only position I believe is bewildering to me is QB, I like JG, he is a tough kid, but his field presence is about as colorful as a dry piece of toast. It's time to hitch the wagon to next year's QB, and it appears HB has demonstrated he has a better arm and better "field presence" and decision-making capabilities. Get him some real game experience as a starter and see what he can do,

Reactions: gtin723
The Gump isn't elite at anything except losing. He's not even a top DC.

Oh come on, you know he is. Hes a very good DC and has been everywhere he's been.

With that being said, being a good DC has no bearing on whether you are a good HC since those roles are completely different.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Yes, obviously. McVay did indicate how he had to rebuild Goff's mechanics and Foles was very vocal about his Rams struggles (My son did a book report on Foles for an Eagles fan teacher so that was detailed in his biography (who knew Foles had a biography?))

Everything good in DFW area? Gonna be out there tomorrow.
Just turned chilly yesterday in anticipation of your visit.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo

VN Store

Back