The Long Dark (Steam/X-Box Early Access)

RIP me. 87 days, 22 hours, 16 minutes. Got attacked by a bear out on the ice. I was encumbered with a lot of fresh fish and couldn't run, lol. I was already very fatigued from staying up all night cooking the fish. Was trying to make it home as night was falling and a blizzard was setting in. Because of the fog and snow falling, I could not see the bear until it was too late. He got me pretty good. When I came to, it was night and in a blizzard. I tried to make it to shelter but I just could not find land. I used two Go Energy drinks and two emergency stims. But I was just going in a big circle probably. I dropped almost everything except my gun and clothes, but I succumbed to Hypothermia on the ice somewhere in Coastal Highway.
Pop-up blizzards are the worst. I've died to those many a time, especially in unPleasant Valley.

I've gotten to where I'm paranoid about blizzards and even if there is even the slightest hint of bad weather setting in I won't venture out of the Quonset.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
There is a strategy where you don't eat anything throughout the day, but you only eat a bunch right before you go to sleep. Any condition loss you incur as a result of being hungry will get healed while you're sleeping.

You won't get the well-fed bonus, but you will be able to conserve food.
I do this alot.

Pop-up blizzards are the worst. I've died to those many a time, especially in unPleasant Valley.

I've gotten to where I'm paranoid about blizzards and even if there is even the slightest hint of bad weather setting in I won't venture out of the Quonset.
They are the worst lol. Some of them, you can tell when it's coming. But other times, it's just bang... here it is.

In my new run, I'm thinking about moving to the Mountaineer's Cabin in Timberwolf since there is a ton of resources there. I just need to find more ammo and make more arrows.

Reactions: Matt2496
Sitting on 70 kg of meat from the moose, deer, and bears I’ve killed here in Coastal.

I’m definitely going to try a different location for a base in my next run once I die. Having to deal with the wolves every time I transport meat to the Quonset is getting annoying lol. I’m thinking about Trappers Homestead in Mystery Lake.

Sitting on 70 kg of meat from the moose, deer, and bears I’ve killed here in Coastal.

I’m definitely going to try a different location for a base in my next run once I die. Having to deal with the wolves every time I transport meat to the Quonset is getting annoying lol. I’m thinking about Trappers Homestead in Mystery Lake.

The wolves can be nuts there. That is the only drawback for Coastal.

In my latest run, I lived at the Mountaineers hut on Timberwolf for 54 days. Had a ton of fish, wolf and deer meat stocked up. I went to the fishing hut to do some night fishing. I fell asleep while playing and woke up to a dead me lol.

I think I am going to start trying to complete all of the challenges. I started on the Nomad challenge last night. If you don't know what it is, there are 15 cabins/shelters around Great Bear Island that you have to spend 3 days inside each one.

I think I am going to start trying to complete all of the challenges. I started on the Nomad challenge last night. If you don't know what it is, there are 15 cabins/shelters around Great Bear Island that you have to spend 3 days inside each one.
I tried that challenge but for some reason it wouldn't count the days I was spending at those spots. The counter was stuck at 0/3 days regardless of how long I spent at a designated spot.

So far I've completed the Hopeless Rescue, the Hunted part one, the hunted part 2, and Whiteout challenges.

I recently attempted the "As the Dead Sleep Challenge" and made it to one of the grave locations and died shortly thereafter on the way north to HRV. It is ridiculously hard. I looked at the settings and they're actually harder than Interloper since you can't gain condition when sleeping and no birch bark tea.

I tried that challenge but for some reason it wouldn't count the days I was spending at those spots. The counter was stuck at 0/3 days regardless of how long I spent at a designated spot.

So far I've completed the Hopeless Rescue, the Hunted part one, the hunted part 2, and Whiteout challenges.

I recently attempted the "As the Dead Sleep Challenge" and made it to one of the grave locations and died shortly thereafter on the way north to HRV. It is ridiculously hard. I looked at the settings and they're actually harder than Interloper since you can't gain condition when sleeping and no birch bark tea.
I have only the locations in Mystery Lake left to spend the 3 days in. The Desolation point/Crumbling Highway locations were a b8tch for some reason. It was always a blizzard and the freaking wolves were all over the place. I bet I got attacked 5 or 6 times coming into and leaving those areas lol. Right now I'm holed up in Coastal waiting for the weather to break so I can head back to ML.

Hopeless Rescue will be my next challenge. That one looks almost impossible to do. Get from Mystery Lake to the TimberWolf Mtn. summit and then to Desolation Point Lighthouse in 6 days!?!?! Better get me a backpack full of coffee!

Just a random discovery... I was crouching to take a rifle shot at a deer from a little overhang. Maybe 20 feet off the ground. I was moving to get in a better position and just crouch-walked right off the edge. Took no damage at all. No bruising, no sprained ankle, no torn clothing... nothing. Perplexed, I went up and tried it again, this time non-crouched. When I landed, I had a sprained ankle and a sprained wrist and major bruising and torn clothing. So I healed up and repaired everything and tried it again crouched. Same thing, no damage or anything. I am wondering if that is a glitch in the game. I haven't tried it from anything higher than that to see if in fact crouch falling is a thing.

I think I have come to the conclusion that there are only 3 areas you can survive long term in. Timberwolf, Coastal/Desolation, Mystery Lake. Possibly BlackRock. The other areas are just too brutal or there are just not enough supplies. Coastal and Timberwolf seem to be the best spots for long term survival. due to the abundance of fire fuel and wildlife.

So I've had several Interloper attempts and they've all ended in death. You don't get any matches or bedroll when you spawn. Knowing the maps is a requirement to play this gamemode. There is literally no margin for error. One wrong move and you're dead. You basically have to completely avoid wolves because, unlike Stalker, getting into a struggle with a wolf is pretty much a death sentence. Also, that coupled with no firearms, no high-end clothing loot, no hunting knives, no hatchets, very little food, and harsher temperatures/weather make this game mode probably 100 times harder than Stalker.

Totally agree. I have tried Interloper a couple of times, but I basically die in 5 days, lol. My current Stalker run is up to 169 days. I think I have the formula figured out for Stalker and can go on indefinitely this way. But I really want to try Interloper again. It's just a lot of work lol.

Finally have a good Interloper run going. I'm 10 days in so far. Spawned in Forlorn Muskeg and headed straight to the Spence Homestead. Made it to ML and got really lucky in that I found a hacksaw, bedroll, heavy hammer, and mag lens. Right now I'm on my way to the forge in Desolation Point to make at least 2 improvised knives and hatchets. I'm debating whether it's better to head north to Ash Canyon and grab the crampons and technical backpack now or backtrack to the Spence Homestead (which has a forge) to make bows and arrows then head north.

Finally have a good Interloper run going. I'm 10 days in so far. Spawned in Forlorn Muskeg and headed straight to the Spence Homestead. Made it to ML and got really lucky in that I found a hacksaw, bedroll, heavy hammer, and mag lens. Right now I'm on my way to the forge in Desolation Point to make at least 2 improvised knives and hatchets. I'm debating whether it's better to head north to Ash Canyon and grab the crampons and technical backpack now or backtrack to the Spence Homestead (which has a forge) to make bows and arrows then head north.

Nice! I never get that lucky in loper lol. I would go back to Spence first and make the bows and arrows. Never know when you'll come across a deer. Why wouldn't you make the arrows at DP? If you are already heading to DP, just do a one stop shop lol.

Nice! I never get that lucky in loper lol. I would go back to Spence first and make the bows and arrows. Never know when you'll come across a deer. Why wouldn't you make the arrows at DP? If you are already heading to DP, just do a one stop shop lol.
I can’t cause I need to make improvised tools first, harvest a bunch of maple and birch, and give them time to cure. I’ll run out of food before they have time to cure if I just stay in DP. Also, I used up my coal reserves for crafting the improvised tools.

I can’t cause I need to make improvised tools first, harvest a bunch of maple and birch, and give them time to cure. I’ll run out of food before they have time to cure if I just stay in DP. Also, I used up my coal reserves for crafting the improvised tools.
Ooooh. Okay. I misunderstood. Yeah, the hatchet is kind of important in that scenario. You could probably get to Ash Canyon and back before the birch and maple cure, so that might be the more efficient way to do it. Then just go to whichever forge is closer.

I’ve started a new Interloper run and spawned in Pleasant Valley. Made it to the farmhouse, got some matches, and proceeded to the barn where I found a hacksaw. Looted Thomson’s Crossing but got stuck there during a full-day blizzard, which is to be expected in PV. I’ve now made it to coastal highway where I plan on looting Desolation Point and using the forge while I’m there. It is a pain not having a bedroll though and I’m going to have to plan accordingly. I probably should have gone to Mystery Lake from PV because there is a guaranteed bedroll there. Oh well, we’ll see how it goes. The weather has been abnormally cooperative for Interloper so maybe that’ll continue. I really want to find some maple and birch saplings before heading to DP so that I can have those curing while forging. The bow and arrow is pretty much the number one key to surviving long term in Interloper. If I can get those crafted early, we should be set for a long run barring some extenuating circumstance. Anything can happen which IMO makes this game so much fun to play. This game never gets repetitive.

I have gotten into Stranded Deep now lol. Just ended a 185 day run due to poisoning. A lionfish got me. I was just going to let it run it's course because I could not find any Pipi plant to make antidote. Tried three different islands. The poisoning wears off after about 3 or 4 days but your health will drop down to about 1/3 full. Then a Night Snake got me while I was foraging. Damnit.

Well, my Interloper run came to an end because I was carrying meat on me and got attacked by wolves on the way up to the summit of Timberwolf Mountain because of the scent.

Lesson learned the hard way: carrying meat on you will attract every wolf from here to Timbuktu ... don't do it.

VN Store

Back