The Long Dark (Steam/X-Box Early Access)

Well, my Interloper run came to an end because I was carrying meat on me and got attacked by wolves on the way up to the summit of Timberwolf Mountain because of the scent.

Lesson learned the hard way: carrying meat on you will attract every wolf from here to Timbuktu ... don't do it.
Haha. I just started a new Stalker run. It's been so long I have forgotten some things and need a refresher before jumping back in to interloper. On day 30 - ish, can't remember. I usually don't spend more than 3 or 4 days in Mystery Lake just because the firewood runs out pretty quick. But after the update, it seems like there is a lot more wood around the lake. I have been able to split my time between between Trappers and the Lake and am living high on the hog right now with stacks of wood and cooked meat lol. Have only had to make 1 trip to the Dam so far.

Reactions: Matt2496
So I moved over to Mountain Town. I never really explored much there. Just kind of gathered supplies as I passed through. I have been living at Paradise Valley Farm for about 45 days now. There are tons of deer, rabbits and wolf to be had. There is also a bear and a Moose in the northeast of the map. And ample amounts of firewood all over. I really need to get to a forge and make some arrowheads though. I only have about 11 rounds of ammo between the pistol and the rifle.
I just never gave much thought to trying to stay long-term in MT, it is actually a pretty easy place to set up shop.

Day 156. Still living it up in MT. I have 5 snares set up right outside the house and every morning usually 3-5 rabbits. This one wolf bugs me about every other day. I've killed him 3 or 4 times, but he just keeps coming back lol. Still plenty of food and firewood. This may be the easiest place in all of TLD to live. I am running out of cloth though. I have gone through every building several times by now and there is no more cloth in the region. Will probably pack up and move to CH or Desolation pretty soon just for a change of pace. I was thinking about spending some time in HRV as I rarely go there for anything because it's just such a brutal environment; and there are literally no intact buildings there, just caves. Too many wolves and bears too. I will definitely have to find more ammo too since I am down to 8 arrows.

Another thing I have noticed since the last update is that flares are not nearly as plentiful as they used to be. By this time I have usually built up a stock of 20-30 flares. Right now I have 4 and just cannot find any more in MT or ML.

Day 164. I almost died. I fell asleep playing... again lol. Woke up standing on the porch of the cabin with a burned out torch, red on all of the bodily indicators and about 10% condition left. Ran back in the house and stripped off all of my frozen clothes, built a fire and drank water and ate. Drank some birch bark tea and slept for 10 hours haha. That was a close one. I would have been so p*ssed.

Reactions: Matt2496

TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY - THE LONG DARK

The trailer for the new expansion for TLD came out yesterday. We’re getting 3 new regions and a hub region that connects to Broken Railroad and much more. Also, according to the website, we’re getting cougars…yikes, dealing with bears, wolves, and moose is hard enough as it is.

TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY - THE LONG DARK

The trailer for the new expansion for TLD came out yesterday. We’re getting 3 new regions and a hub region that connects to Broken Railroad and much more. Also, according to the website, we’re getting cougars…yikes, dealing with bears, wolves, and moose is hard enough as it is.

I saw that! The cougars worry me lol.

*sigh* Day 206... Finally packed up everything and made the long trip (several trips actually) to Coastal Highway from Milton. It was my last trip. I decided to take a shortcut down the mountain to the quonset gas station in Coastal. I sprained my ankle and while I am bandaging... Guess what comes around the corner...? Good old buddy bear. I had a pistol with 2 bullets and one flare on me. I was able to put two bullets in him. Everything else I had already moved to the quonset. He attacks me. I get up and start going the opposite direction and dropped a few decoys. But that did not deter him. He came back for a second bite out of me. After that attack, I am still somehow barely alive. Not for long. A third attack in a row and fade to black. I have never been attacked that many times in a row by a bear. Usually they leave after the first or second attack. Especially if they are wounded.

I think I am going to take a break from TLD for a little bit and play some Stranded Deep lol. I need a warmer climate now.

Well, the Far Territory is pretty cool. Loaded it up and dropped in to FM to start gathering some supplies to make it as fast as I could to Forsaken Airfield.

I spent 46 days there and pretty much cleaned the place out. I have everything from the region stacked and organized in the Hangar lol. If it weren't for the fog in FA, I would stay there longer, but I got sick of it and headed back to ML. Going to clean out ML and MT then head to HRV since I have never really spent much time there.

Reactions: C/O
Well, the Far Territory is pretty cool. Loaded it up and dropped in to FM to start gathering some supplies to make it as fast as I could to Forsaken Airfield.

I spent 46 days there and pretty much cleaned the place out. I have everything from the region stacked and organized in the Hangar lol. If it weren't for the fog in FA, I would stay there longer, but I got sick of it and headed back to ML. Going to clean out ML and MT then head to HRV since I have never really spent much time there.

Day 223
Not much happening. I have gotten into a rut. HRV is pretty cool, but man it is hard to get around in. Lots of predators. i had to climb so many broken trees and wait out predators. If I didn't have all of the hide clothes, i probably would have frozen to death a time or two.. I spent about 20 days in HRV, was going to stay longer, but there are just so many predators.

So now I am kind of spending my time between ML, MT, FM and BR. Living on deer and rabbits and the occasional wolf. I haven't seen a bear or moose in months. Do they die out after so long? I know the deer herds are supposed to thin out over time, but i am not sure about bear and moose.

I think I have something like 12 pair of deer pants. 6 pair of deer boots. 4 or 5 wolf coats. a few bearskins and a couple moose satchels. I just don't make a habit of hunting moose and bear. I can never seem to find them lately. Still have a bunch of cured hides as well. I think i probably have 3 or 4 hundred rabbit hides lol.

Now, it's just about surviving. I think I want to keep this one going as long as I can and just see how long I can make it. Not going to do anything stupid and not going to try to move home base to anywhere else now. I have access to food, water, plenty of wood and a forge. I do need to find more coal as I am down to about 20 pieces.

Welp... Was at 476 days survived. Killed by the app update on Playstation.

Don't ya just hate when stuff like that happens? I know that it's just a game,but it's very frustrating to be so far into a game and have it be ruined by something like that. Speaking of this game, I've heard about it. If I had the time,I'd probably give it a try.

Don't ya just hate when stuff like that happens? I know that it's just a game,but it's very frustrating to be so far into a game and have it be ruined by something like that. Speaking of this game, I've heard about it. If I had the time,I'd probably give it a try.
It's one of the best games I have ever played. I never thought I would like a game like this... but here we are.

My kids love watching me play it. It’s funny

Took a break from this game, and now I'm playing it again. Started an Interloper run, and now I'm on Day 20. I've got plenty of matches, a bedroll, mag lens, and have crafted all the improvised tools needed at the forge. This is probably the best start of any Interloper run I've attempted thus far. I started in Timberwolf Mountain and headed straight to the Mountaineer's Hut. I thought about summitting the mountain right out of the gate, but determined that would be too risky without decent clothing and a bedroll. I've looted unPleasant Valley, Coastal Highway, Desolation Point, Mystery Lake, and now I've made it to Mountain Town. Had one close call in CH where I got caught out on the ice during a blizzard, but thankfully made it out alive.

I'm trying to determine whether to take the riskier move and head north to Hushed River Valley (a region I'm not very familiar with) or whether to go conservative and bail south to Forlorn Muskeg. This game tends to reward conservatism so I'm thinking about just heading south.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
I just don't really find any reward in staying in FM. I loot it, and I am done with it. Like BR. The only thing it has going for it is the forge and two bears in semi-close proximity. HRV was actually growing on me. I found myself staying there longer and longer when I would make a trip to loot. I love the ice caves lol.

Haven't touched TLD since the update on PS4 and I lost my 476 day run. I really wanted that 500 days lol. Still p*ssed. Have been playing Days Gone quite a bit again. Thinking about diving back into Stranded Deep for a little while.

Made it through FM (didn't loot it entirely) and now back to trapper's cabin in ML. Just crafted the bow and 14 arrows. The plan now is to head north to Ash Canyon to get the technical backpack and crampons. After that, I'm going to summit timberwolf mountain and grab the loot there.

For my own and anyone else's reference, so far the new major loot locations I've come across are as follows (on Interloper):

Pleasant Valley:
- Signal Hill: Heavy Hammer
- PV-CH connector cave: Stim
- PV Farmhouse: Matches

Mountain Town:
- Orca Gas Station: Bedroll
- Milton House: Mag Lens, Matches, Combat Pants
- Radio Tower near the plane crash site: Stim
- Milton Basin - Hermit's Cabin : Heavy Hammer
- Trailer: Lantern

Coastal Highway:
- Abandoned Lookout: Hacksaw
- Quonset: Lantern
- There was a car with matches in it, but I don't remember which one.

Desolation Point:
- Lighthouse: Stim
- Hibernia: Matches (both inside and outside in a metal container)

Mystery Lake:
- Trapper's Cabin: Heavy Hammer
- Camp Office: Aviator Cap
- Carter Hydro Dam: Matches, Bedroll in the tubing outside.
- To be continued.

Timberwolf Mountain:
- Mountaineer's Hut: Matches
- To be continued

Forlorn Muskeg:
- Shortwave Tower (northern area): Hacksaw
-To be continued

Ash Canyon:
- Gold Mine: Matches at entrance.

I'll continue to update this post as I find more loot.

Last edited:
I have noticed an abundance of heavy hammers now after the update. Stims and flares seem to be in a much shorter supply now as well.

Been playing some after the latest update and let me tell you... There is some weirdness going on lol.

I'm finding things floating in the air... I found a coho salmon floating in the air beside a house in coastal highway. Found a flare shell floating beside a tree. Animals are gliding across the ice and not walking lol.

In one of the ice fishing huts I found Barb's Rifle... About 50 of them. And they keep respawning as fast as I can pick them up.

And finally, I shot a moose 12 times and it still didn't go down. I just gave up and am hoping that I wake up the next day and find it.

PXL_20231217_192950404.jpg

VN Store

Back