The Long Dark (Steam/X-Box Early Access)

zeppelin128

This is the Way.
While aboard a small plane in the Canadian wilderness, something happens. All electronics are fried in what is called the electromagnetic event. After surviving a crash landing deep in the Canadian wilderness, surrounded by roving packs of wolves and with little supplies, you have two choices. Remain and die, or leave and hope.

This is not your normal survival game. Post-apocalyptic, yes. But something about this title is different. There is no music as you play aside from random bits of song, no internal guide, no sense of what you should be doing, where you should be going. The unknown and the weather is your constant enemy.

The only way I can describe it is constant tension. Every action, every move threatens to kill you. It is hopeless, but somehow you can't stop playing, hoping for an end, fighting to live one more day.

It is a powerful game in this way. You can't win, you can't re-spawn, you can't know where you are going. You just fight, hoping that you will make it another night. The brutality and despair, paired with the gorgeous environment, results in a very strange but fantastic play-through that changes every time you begin a new game.

Hinterland, the development studio, has announced that a story mode will be introduced in the Spring. I have no doubt that it will be just as chilling, hopeless, beautiful, and rife with despair as I've imagined.

https://youtu.be/dmAYWj58gKI

Last edited:
Reactions: tbh and Matt2496
The artwork looks very Telltale-ish... hard to get a sense of the gameplay from the trailer posted by OP

This game is probably the best survival game out there. One of the unique things I like about it is that there isn’t base-building. Other survival games get easy once you establish a base. Stagnation in this game is a death sentence.

Another thing I like is permanent death. Makes you think twice about every decision you make.

I still play this game from time to time. It has gotten even better since my original post. Although, I honestly didn't care for story mode much.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
This game is probably the best survival game out there. One of the unique things I like about it is that there isn’t base-building. Other survival games get easy once you establish a base. Stagnation in this game is a death sentence.

Another thing I like is permanent death. Makes you think twice about every decision you make.
The nomadic nature of gameplay is one of the best qualities of the game. I will set up caches here and there, and hang out in places for a few days. But you have to keep moving. That makes it endlessly replayable. It never gets boring.

The nomadic nature of gameplay is one of the best qualities of the game. I will set up caches here and there, and hang out in places for a few days. But you have to keep moving. That makes it endlessly replayable. It never gets boring.

I set up shop at the Camp Office at Mystery lake. I was able to stay there 6 or 7 days and just live off fish and deer and wolves. But I ran out of fire fuel and had to move on. THat is a great place to "live" for a while lol.

I set up shop at the Camp Office at Mystery lake. I was able to stay there 6 or 7 days and just live off fish and deer and wolves. But I ran out of fire fuel and had to move on. THat is a great place to "live" for a while lol.
That's one of the better places to make as a "base" because Mystery Lake connects to so many other regions.

Right now I've set up the Quonset garage in Coastal Highway with all my hides, guts, birch, maple, coal, and scrap metal.

I still haven't looted Bleak Inlet or Blackrock because I'm too afraid to deal with those packs of Timberwolves. They are rough.

I really like Trapper's Homestead at ML. There's a good spot for rabbit trapping nearby and it has a cool atmosphere. Plus a rifle spawns there sometimes.

That's one of the better places to make as a "base" because Mystery Lake connects to so many other regions.

Right now I've set up the Quonset garage in Coastal Highway with all my hides, guts, birch, maple, coal, and scrap metal.

I still haven't looted Bleak Inlet or Blackrock because I'm too afraid to deal with those packs of Timberwolves. They are rough.
Timberwolves are spooky, they were a great addition to the game.

Quonset and that entire town in Coastal Highway is great for supplies, but good grief the 1000 wolves that hang out there lol.

I think Pleasant Valley is probably my favorite area, but the weather is brutal there. The blizzards can go on for several days. Timberwolf Mountain is really cool too. The Mountaineer's Hut at the base of the mountain is a cool spot to set up camp at before attempting to summit the peak.

Timberwolves are spooky, they were a great addition to the game.

Quonset and that entire town in Coastal Highway is great for supplies, but good grief the 1000 wolves that hang out there lol.

I think Pleasant Valley is probably my favorite area, but the weather is brutal there. The blizzards can go on for several days. Timberwolf Mountain is really cool too. The Mountaineer's Hut at the base of the mountain is a cool spot to set up camp at before attempting to summit the peak.
The thing I like about coastal is its proximity to Desolation Point which has a forge. The other forges are much more inconvenient than that one.

My favorite building in the game is the Hunting Lodge in Broken Railroad. My favorite region would probably have to be either Coastal or Mystery Lake. Ash Canyon was really neat but my goodness... all those rope climbs...

Another good potential base location would be the Carter Hydro Dam. It connects to Winding River which connects to Pleasant Valley, the Ravine with connects to Coastal, and you're not too far away from the cave that connects to Mountain Town and the tunnel that leads to Forlorn Muskeg. Basically you have a lot of potential supply routes from those regions.

I really didn't think Blackrock was that bad. It was just confusing trying to find a way out. All of the wolves I encountered, pretty much ran away at the first sight of a flare.

I haven't made it to Coastal Highway yet. I haven't found a route to there yet.

Reactions: Matt2496

VN Store

Back