The Kerry Blackshear Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This comes back around to the notion that he should’ve had more immediate impact kids coming in off the season they just had. And now he’s facing a potential scenario that involves him only having Kent, Fulkerson, and ORN available in the front court.

And what happens when it turns out he knew what he was doing and those guy are just fine and this is a NCAAT team?

This comes back around to the notion that he should’ve had more immediate impact kids coming in off the season they just had. And now he’s facing a potential scenario that involves him only having Kent, Fulkerson, and ORN available in the front court.
The season ended in March. Hard to capitalize on that momentum with kids in the spring, especially when we didn't have any open spots until Bone and Williams declared and Walker transferred. The capitalization will come in the 2020 class.

The season ended in March. Hard to capitalize on that momentum with kids in the spring, especially when we didn't have any open spots until Bone and Williams declared and Walker transferred. The capitalization will come in the 2020 class.
They had a lot of momentum coming off the the previous season as well.

They had a lot of momentum coming off the the previous season as well.
True, but only had two spots to fill, and one (Gaines) was already spoken for, and had been for over a year. So, you could argue they should have aimed higher than Pember, but the fact Barnes took his commitment when he did tells me he believes in the kid. Now, you are free to disagree with that evaluation, but Barnes' livelihood rides on it while our entertainment rides on it, so I'll likely defer to his opinion while admitting it isn't infallible.

Reactions: dunkingdan
Guess we should go ahead and call the season now

I didnt say that, although I’m not surprised you would go way overboard with what I’m saying. But to simply have blind faith and assume all 11 guys are gonna improve/get better is silly. We only have two PG’s on the roster/one frontcourt player that’s played consistent minutes. We have little depth going into this season. If injuries occur we are in big trouble.

True, but only had two spots to fill, and one (Gaines) was already spoken for, and had been for over a year. So, you could argue they should have aimed higher than Pember, but the fact Barnes took his commitment when he did tells me he believes in the kid. Now, you are free to disagree with that evaluation, but Barnes' livelihood rides on it while our entertainment rides on it, so I'll likely defer to his opinion while admitting it isn't infallible.
That’s respectable Chris. I agree with a lot of your points. Just personally feel he could’ve put himself in a much better situation. Now I guess we’ll just see how it plays out.

Reactions: cncchris33
Barnes is getting 26 million bucks from UTK no matter who he signs or how many more games he wins and whenever his current tenure ends, be it tomorrow or five years hence, he'll never coach again. Barnes doesn't have anything on the line.

I don't get all of the hate and disrespect for Pember before he's played a single minute for UT. Guys with that much length and guard skills aren't very common. He was a very good perimeter player and then had a freakish growth spurt. Plus he's a local kid. It must be his skin color that has so many triggered.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Lmao what? Talk about an overreaction.

Targeted ORN, landed him.

Targets Plavsic, landed him.

Targeted Bailey, landed him.

Roster was full...saw an opportunity to land a big time player in Blackshear, targeted him and missed...guess Calipari botched the offseason too?
Roster is full... of some shaky front court players.... And I’m actually more optimistic on Fulkerson than most others. But even at best our front court is a serious risk

I could see Rick having a better than expected regular season but just not winning anything meaningful [conference championships or NCAA tournament games].

20 wins would be stunning and you dont make the NCAA tournament with less than that usually.

We could have one hell of an NIT run though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back