The Jarrett Guarantano debate thread...

Dobbs didn't get all those yards because the OL was awesome, just the opposite. AK was AK and Hurd also had the most attempts, check his ypc for goodness' sake.

I'm not gonna debate this anymore. You are seriously the 1st person I've ever seen that tried to claim '15 and '16 as great OL.
I'm more caught off guard than anything lol.
Hurd gets a lot of hate here.... but he was his own blocker about as often as not. I respect the guy. He made some mistakes around his departure but I put most of that on Jones' screwing with him.

Reactions: MikeVol44
Year away from what skeletor? Year away from beating who other than Bama and GA?
Some of y'all act like reaching the talent level of UGA and Alabama are unattainable. If Tennessee can recruit during there down years just wait till we start winning again.

Some of y'all act like reaching the talent level of UGA and Alabama are unattainable. If Tennessee can recruit during there down years just wait till we start winning again.
I'm not like acting like that. They are just ahead and been doing it. We will compete w/ GA next year due to coaching, our last two incoming classes, and 2020 class.
So who do you think we will lose to other than GA and Bama?

I'm not like acting like that. They are just ahead and been doing it. We will compete w/ GA next year due to coaching, our last two incoming classes, and 2020 class.

Florida will continue to beat us imo

Reactions: KBVol
FL will be tough but I don't think they are that much farther ahead than us like the media is portraying it to be. We turned the ball over 7 times that game and still outgained them yardage wise and held them to less yards on defense. The mental factor sets in Everytime we play them. I think Miss St. Will take a slight step back this year and Missouri will be a challenge.

FL will be tough but I don't think they are that much farther ahead than us like the media is portraying it to be. We turned the ball over 7 times that game and still outgained them yardage wise and held them to less yards on defense. The mental factor sets in Everytime we play them. I think Miss St. Will take a slight step back this year and Missouri will be a challenge.
IMHO, it takes time to lose a program like Mizzou. This season will test whether the HC has just been living in the afterglow of Pinkell and talent of Lock or if he has real ability.

MSU lost a lot of production and has another coach that does not look as talented or charismatic as the guy before him. Vandy is another team that loses a lot of production and could take a big step back though I think Mason is a quality coach. UK lost Snell and 3 of its top 5 receivers along with 4 of its top 5 tacklers. Josh Allen had 17 sacks... the next highest was 5.

None of this guarantees anything except opportunity. If UT plays well and Pruitt and crew coach well... UT suddenly has an experience advantage on teams with similar or lower talent.

IMHO, it takes time to lose a program like Mizzou. This season will test whether the HC has just been living in the afterglow of Pinkell and talent of Lock or if he has real ability.

MSU lost a lot of production and has another coach that does not look as talented or charismatic as the guy before him. Vandy is another team that loses a lot of production and could take a big step back though I think Mason is a quality coach. UK lost Snell and 3 of its top 5 receivers along with 4 of its top 5 tacklers. Josh Allen had 17 sacks... the next highest was 5.

None of this guarantees anything except opportunity. If UT plays well and Pruitt and crew coach well... UT suddenly has an experience advantage on teams with similar or lower talent.
I agree with that. All the teams you mentioned above, we have should have the talent advantage for sure.

LOL

no he didn't put up good numbers. Look at his game log. He had two great games. Georgia Tech and Florida with almost half of his TDs for the year coming against GT. He had FIVE games under 4 YPC. FOUR of those games it was under 3 YPC.

Go check out how many negative run plays we've had the past two years.

I'm not exactly sure why you're defending the OL and I honestly don't think you've watched a game in the past 3 years. It's clearly an issue which multiple commentators have commented on.

Nice try, next.
if you took it as me defending the o-line, your reading comprehension NEEDS MAJOR WORK

No. I am for JG and am critical of things he didn't do well.

You cherry picked the stats but that's par for you and a few others. JG threw for fewer yards. The O scored about a TD less behind him. Dobbs was given more of the O as a Fr than JG has as a 2nd and 3rd year player. The offense was run through both Worley and Dobbs for better or worse. They trusted them to make decisions and plays.

I know it leaves you in a corner but coaches don't just limit QB's arbitrarily. They don't intentionally avoid doing things that can help them win. But you are going to have to face it at some point. There have been things especially in the mental part of the game that JG simply hasn't done well and has not been able to earn the coaches' trust to do.

Considering UT was not able to run for the past two years... why would they avoid putting the O on JG's shoulders if he could handle it? I'm sorry that question takes you somewhere you don't want to go. But you'd be better off just being honest with yourself. JG is a guy who needs to improve a lot to be a good SEC QB.

so who are we running offense thru? i will wait......

and how would the coaches limit JG? could it be they realize the offensive line limits the entire offense from being very productive or did you and the rest of these morons find yet another excuse for the obvious?

if JG is the starting QB, why would you ask me "why would they avoid putting the O on JG's shoulders if he could handle it?"?

like not even playing around, that's pretty dumb!

How so?..Dobbs took us “bowling” every year with just as bad of an O Line,you tell me what it is.JG has given us nothing more than two big wins against auburn and Kentucky.i can’t even believe I’m bragging about beating Kentucky right now lol.
dobbs played behind guys CURRENTLY playing on sundays for one. and for 2, Dobbs had way better talent around him and was a lot faster than JG.

but shyt.......lets not let those facts stand in the way

Reactions: BlackCreekVol
if you took it as me defending the o-line, your reading comprehension NEEDS MAJOR WORK

Actually no, I just didn't read your posts to see that you were being sarcastic about the OL being good but you still oddly tried to defend them with rushing numbers. Either your sarcasm needs work or need to work on your arguments.

so who are we running offense thru? i will wait......
Not much of anyone. For two years, it has appeared that they've tried to not lose with the offense.

and how would the coaches limit JG?
Almost every time you post you reach new levels of exposing your ignorance of football. There are LOTS of ways coaches limit QB's to avoid mistakes or protect their weaknesses. Every QB has a weakness of some sort. You don't want to make a habit of long developing plays if your QB cannot move in the pocket or run. You don't want to throw over the middle with a QB that doesn't anticipate coverage movement well. You don't want to throw the sideline stuff that JG does well with a QB that lacks arm strength and accuracy. Coaches do not run what their QB is incapable of running. They don't run things others cannot execute either. But the QB is usually the first consideration in the passing game. If he can't read it and throw it... it doesn't matter if everyone else is perfect. You cannot run it.

could it be they realize the offensive line limits the entire offense from being very productive or did you and the rest of these morons find yet another excuse for the obvious?
Yes it could be partly the OL and I've said so numerous times. I see very few "morons" saying that the OL isn't an issue. I see several "morons" who deny JG is.

The OL hurts on plays where you need time. But those aren't the types of plays UT avoided in the passing game over the last two years. They have avoided the quick stuff. They've avoided difficult coverage reads. They've avoided stuff where the QB has to make a pre-snap read then make an anticipation throw at the point of his drop.

They didn't avoid play action. They didn't avoid deep sideline. They ran some to the deep middle. They failed often at this especially because the OL didn't hold up. But for some reason they avoided the things that depend on the QB making quick decisions and consistently good reads that would have nullified a lot of the OL problems.

if JG is the starting QB, why would you ask me "why would they avoid putting the O on JG's shoulders if he could handle it?"?
Because they didn't put it on his shoulders. They limited what they did due to his limitations.

like not even playing around, that's pretty dumb!
You're right. It is "pretty dumb" for you to suggest that they didn't limit what they called and tried to do in ways that point directly at JG's weaknesses. The OL was bad... yet they still ran long developing pass plays. The OL was bad... yet two consecutive staffs did not integrate a quick passing game to take pressure off of them. That's WR's and the QB. Some of the WR's particularly Jennings have previously proven they can get off coverage and run the short routes. So for them to basically not even try to use something that so effectively protects a bad OL.... points to JG and especially considering some of his other decision making and timing issues.

Reactions: Bash
Don’t think so. I believe we beat Missouri and Vandy this season.
I hope so. There have been times in the recent past where I would even agree. But I've just been burned too many times with my "should beat" predictions over the past few years. I would still say that UT has a talent advantage if coached up.

Don’t think so. I believe we beat Missouri and Vandy this season.
I hope so. There have been times in the recent past where I would even agree. But I've just been burned too many times with my "should beat" predictions over the past few years. I would still say that UT has a talent advantage if coached up.

dobbs played behind guys CURRENTLY playing on sundays for one. and for 2, Dobbs had way better talent around him and was a lot faster than JG.

but shyt.......lets not let those facts stand in the way
Which OL's by name other than the few games he played as a Fr? If I am not mistaken, Robertson was signed as a free agent and played in front of both Dobbs and JG. Who else?

Reactions: chargervol
Which OL's by name other than the few games he played as a Fr? If I am not mistaken, Robertson was signed as a free agent and played in front of both Dobbs and JG. Who else?
Dobbs starting *seasons were after all those "NFL linemen". I started to point it out to him but then realized it was the same person claiming that we had great OL in 15 and 16.
Already been disproven, so don't know if they're trolling or so infatuated that proof is irrelevant.
What Dobbs accomplished was so rare and to see someone take anything away just to promote the infallible concept, is messed up.

Reactions: sjt18 and Bash

I know but for some reason I believe this season we can beat those teams. I think all the players have bought in completely to Pruitt and this staffs vision. I will say this though, if we lose to both of those teams again, and get throughly dominated on both sides again, then the TN football program is dead.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Dobbs starting *seasons were after all those "NFL linemen". I started to point it out to him but then realized it was the same person claiming that we had great OL in 15 and 16.
Already been disproven, so don't know if they're trolling or so infatuated that proof is irrelevant.
What Dobbs accomplished was so rare and to see someone take anything away just to promote the infallible concept, is messed up.

Who in the world claimed we had a great OL in 15 and 16?????

I know but for some reason I believe this season we can beat those teams. I think all the players have bought in completely to Pruitt and this staffs vision. I will say this though, if we lose to both of those teams again, and get throughly dominated on both sides again, then the TN football program is dead.
I've heard that "bought in" thing often enough to be pretty cynical about it.

I like Pruitt. I think at a minimum the players left if he gets fired will be coached up in the right way. That could set someone else up well.

I like Pruitt. I think at a minimum the players left if he gets fired will be coached up in the right way. That could set someone else up well.

The reason I brought up the bought in statement was based off what Phillips and Tuttle said. Hopefully the guys and coaches all do their jobs and live up to their potential. If that happens,I think there is a good chance for a surprising season.

VN Store

Back