The Jarrett Guarantano debate thread...

Thats the point. He had 5+ seconds in the pocket, and still ate a sack. He could have tucked it and ran, or at the very least thrown it away, but he struggles to think quickly and decisively, and he often struggles to see the full field.

How many times last season did we hear the announcers say something along the lines of, "...JG wishes he had that one back, <insert receiver> was wide open waving his arms on the other side of the field... "?

Those issues are not caused by the oline. Even with a 100% increase in the offensive line performance in 2019, we will still struggle offensively if JG doesn't also significantly improve as well.

FACTS..

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Maybe cuz more often than not he was getting pressured on over 60-70 percent of passing plays and that's not an exaggeration

šŸ‘€šŸ™„ youā€™re right they were bringing the house all the time and they knew they could because he wouldnā€™t throw the ball or get rid of it fast enough ,thatā€™s not even factoring in how he doesnā€™t read a defense at all.if did he would see the middle of the field was always open

Dobbs didn't get all those yards because the OL was awesome, just the opposite. AK was AK and Hurd also had the most attempts, check his ypc for goodness' sake.

I'm not gonna debate this anymore. You are seriously the 1st person I've ever seen that tried to claim '15 and '16 as great OL.
I'm more caught off guard than anything lol.

How soon they forget.

Hehe, what do these guys possibly know? They also rate our 2 CBs pretty high as well. We'll see how it goes but all of you that love to eat crow are going to get plenty this year!
I hope you are right. But, I am not holding my breath.

i think u just both contradicted and answered your own question bub. the o line hasnt improved........so therefore its not the quarterback.

How so?..Dobbs took us ā€œbowlingā€ every year with just as bad of an O Line,you tell me what it is.JG has given us nothing more than two big wins against auburn and Kentucky.i canā€™t even believe Iā€™m bragging about beating Kentucky right now lol.

Reactions: chuckb1448
so 12 tds, 8 picks and 9 tds, 6 picks with 1200yards makes those guys good passers......but you are against JG and what he's doing?

I cant...........

you just contradicted yourself entirely
No. I am for JG and am critical of things he didn't do well.

You cherry picked the stats but that's par for you and a few others. JG threw for fewer yards. The O scored about a TD less behind him. Dobbs was given more of the O as a Fr than JG has as a 2nd and 3rd year player. The offense was run through both Worley and Dobbs for better or worse. They trusted them to make decisions and plays.

I know it leaves you in a corner but coaches don't just limit QB's arbitrarily. They don't intentionally avoid doing things that can help them win. But you are going to have to face it at some point. There have been things especially in the mental part of the game that JG simply hasn't done well and has not been able to earn the coaches' trust to do.

Considering UT was not able to run for the past two years... why would they avoid putting the O on JG's shoulders if he could handle it? I'm sorry that question takes you somewhere you don't want to go. But you'd be better off just being honest with yourself. JG is a guy who needs to improve a lot to be a good SEC QB.

those stats show by committee. and john kelly put up good numbers after dobbs with dormady (the first anti-JG hero who crapped), so.......

next excuse please
LOL

no he didn't put up good numbers. Look at his game log. He had two great games. Georgia Tech and Florida with almost half of his TDs for the year coming against GT. He had FIVE games under 4 YPC. FOUR of those games it was under 3 YPC.

Go check out how many negative run plays we've had the past two years.

I'm not exactly sure why you're defending the OL and I honestly don't think you've watched a game in the past 3 years. It's clearly an issue which multiple commentators have commented on.

Nice try, next.

šŸ‘€šŸ™„ youā€™re right they were bringing the house all the time and they knew they could because he wouldnā€™t throw the ball or get rid of it fast enough ,thatā€™s not even factoring in how he doesnā€™t read a defense at all.if did he would see the middle of the field was always open
Man your trying so damn hard

Burrow managed 16 passing TDs last year, with 4 of those coming in the bowl game against UCF. Burrow's saving grace is that he can make plays with his legs and had 7 rushing TDs to compliment his paltry 12 regular season passing TDs.

From a passing production standpoint, if your goal as a passer is to effectively move the offense and score points, neither of them are in the same realm as Tua, Fromm, and Mond.

BUT----Joe Burrow IS a Leader. JG may be that too; but Burrow is a LB mentality at QB. Tough nut.

JG has a LOT to prove this year....

WE NEED him to play well and take over as the undisputed leader of this team for the SAKE of the team and the program.

While I have criticized him in the past, I do have hope that Chaney can help him improve as a QB.
A lot is going to depend on how well the OL performs.

Our opponents are still gonna load the box, press-man, and blitz to expose our OL and JG's abilities to adjust and protect.

GO VOLS!

Reactions: UTSuaveā€™
No. I am for JG and am critical of things he didn't do well.

You cherry picked the stats but that's par for you and a few others. JG threw for fewer yards. The O scored about a TD less behind him. Dobbs was given more of the O as a Fr than JG has as a 2nd and 3rd year player. The offense was run through both Worley and Dobbs for better or worse. They trusted them to make decisions and plays.

I know it leaves you in a corner but coaches don't just limit QB's arbitrarily. They don't intentionally avoid doing things that can help them win. But you are going to have to face it at some point. There have been things especially in the mental part of the game that JG simply hasn't done well and has not been able to earn the coaches' trust to do.

Considering UT was not able to run for the past two years... why would they avoid putting the O on JG's shoulders if he could handle it? I'm sorry that question takes you somewhere you don't want to go. But you'd be better off just being honest with yourself. JG is a guy who needs to improve a lot to be a good SEC QB.
This for cripes sake. Hello, McFly. This has been a consistent refrain from the rationals vs the dreamy eyed fan boys. At no point in the past 2 years has the TN HC or OC turned the game over to JG. The most telling stat

Reactions: sjt18
This for cripes sake. Hello, McFly. This has been a consistent refrain from the rationals vs the dreamy eyed fan boys. At no point in the past 2 years has the TN HC or OC turned the game over to JG. The most telling stat
I sometimes wonder if some of them don't have a teenage heartthrob poster of JG on their bedroom walls. A couple are downright creepy.

Reactions: Bash
I sometimes wonder if some of them don't have a teenage heartthrob poster of JG on their bedroom walls. A couple are downright creepy.
Funny! Like the rest of the rationals, I want JG to succeed wildly. We know his OL has sucked, but there are a lot of QBs who have outperformed him with equally crapoy OLs. And their HC/OC has trusted them enough to carry the team. They don't rank 90 something in attempts, yardage and TDs like JG does. JGs stat lines should have an asterisk by them. He barely has enough attempts to even be considered.

Ehlinger (104), Minshew (116), Browning (66) and Bowmam (113) are 4 with better stats and crappy OLs.. The numbers in parenthesis are their team's rushing YPC average, the best standard for assessing OLs rushing success.. JGs was 107. All but one had new OCs, and the one who didn't (Minshew) had 6 new assnt coaches including RB, Receiver and OL. So enough of the fan boy crap.

Reactions: UTSuaveā€™
I do not understand what the 'JG debate" means--are we debating (1) his rank among the SEC QBs, or are we debating (2) whether someone ought to take his place this year, or (3) is he better than Dobbs. Seems to me the only debatable issue is where he falls among the SEC QBs.

Says the guy arguing with no one about it and liking his own post from multiple alt accounts. Lmao
Lying again... It is habitual with you, isn't it? I mean sometimes it is pretty obvious you have deluded yourself. Other times, like this post, you know you're lying.

PS- See you still aren't responding to me... LOL. You are such a joke.

@KBVol
So far Ive only gotten through the first 3 drives. The only play so far that the o line hasn't provided a minimum of 3 seconds was a wr screen. Ive seen a total of 10 pass plays. The first sack JG rolled into but at the same time the guard lost his leverage as well. Both could've done better. Would you like me to continue or are you good with that? Because quite frankly its still difficult to watch and it's rare that anything changes throughout the entire game.
You are right as for the run blocking so far though. Charlotte was not blitzing and had a 3-4 man front. Unexceptable. Charlottes LBs reacted very quickly in run support and didn't bite on play action. That being said our rbs need to run to what they see rather than have tunnel vision of play design. The hole won't always be where it's supposed to be.

This was simple evaluation of o line. Not JG. So don't get offended. It's not intended to take anything away from JG as I'm sure he already knows what he could do better.

Time for the JG haters to go ballistic.

Advanced stats consistently show JG is much better than people realize and the O-line was much worse. It's why all the pipe dreams of a miracle QB who overtakes JG for the job are just that. JG has many things he needs to work on to become an elite QB, but he was one of our best players last season.

And sure, JG needs to make "quicker decisions", but the reason you think this is because he's constantly under pressure in a very short amount of time. No one would think that if he had Georgia or Bama's O-line. It's not even really the best criticism of JG. IMO, where JG struggles most is throwing on the run; he consistently underestimates how far the ball is going to fly when he throws on the run.

But overall, JG is the least of our problems. Fix the O-line. Fix the D-line. Add depth. Keep recruiting well. Develop players. Then we'll win. Unfortunately, I think we're probably at least a year away on the lines.
Year away from what skeletor? Year away from beating who other than Bama and GA?

VN Store

Back