The Iceman vs Manning

Ice Man or Manning?

• Casey Clausen

• Peyton Manning

Results are only viewable after voting.
Another way to look at it would be in 2 of those 3 games the offense would only have needed 14 and 11 points to win. It's pretty damn helpful when the D keeps the other team from scoring much.

FL scored 30 in 2002... of course 21 of that came directly from Clausen fumbling the snap.

Also, this talk of Bama being so awful, they were 8-3 in 95, 10-3 in 96, 4-7 in 97... so they were good enough to upset us 2/3 years Manning started.

Contrast to Clausen years. 3-8 in 2000, 7-5 in 2001, 10-3 in 2002 (first TN loss in 7 years), and 4-7 in 2003... so they were much worse in the Clausen era with exception of one year in which we lost.

I was as big a PM fan as anyone else, but if you deny he had a tendency to try too hard and implode against Florida (and later New England at times), then you weren't being honest with yourself.

Yes it's a team sport: he didn't lose games by himself, and he didn't win games by himself - you can't have it both ways.

But against those two rivals, you could feel how tense he was. How badly he wanted to win. The second things started to go badly for them against those two teams, he started pressing. Making bad decisions on top of bad decisions. He just wasn't himself in those games.

I think he improved that tendency later on against the Patriots, however.

Casey wasn't as gifted physically, but damn he was hard to rattle.
The Colts not a playoff team without Manning. Look at what happened when he had the neck surgery. New England was by far the better defensive team. If Manning had played for Belichek , he would have more SB rings than Brady has. He certainly would not lose to his little brother.

Last edited:
I was as big a PM fan as anyone else, but if you deny he had a tendency to try too hard and implode against Florida (and later New England at times), then you weren't being honest with yourself.

Yes it's a team sport: he didn't lose games by himself, and he didn't win games by himself - you can't have it both ways.

But against those two rivals, you could feel how tense he was. How badly he wanted to win. The second things started to go badly for them against those two teams, he started pressing. Making bad decisions on top of bad decisions. He just wasn't himself in those games.

I think he improved that tendency later on against the Patriots, however.

Casey wasn't as gifted physically, but damn he was hard to rattle.
3-2 in the playoffs vs the Patriots overall. Guess he didn’t press in those games?

Not to mention that Casey didn’t have as good of a backfield, WR Corp, or defense as Peyton did during his time. If you’re talking Pro career, then yeah, Peyton developed into a really good QB. However, his pro career is overrated as well.
Either way, give me Shuler over both of them in college.

You are way off base. TN was still loaded with talent during the Clausen years. Go look at the NFL drafts from 2001 through 2004. TN was loaded. It’s way people say Fulmer underachieved.

I probably should’ve said two or three, but if I had to pick one number it’d be three. I easily take Peyton and Shuler above him, and people will get mad at this but I would take Dobbs above him as well

Shuler definitely gets overlooked quite often when talking about TN QBs IMO. With Dobbs? I could maybe see that being he was a true DT that could absolutely kill a defense with his legs.

I think Clausen was very good but the hype and praise he gets is greatly exaggerated IMO.

Reactions: Vol49er
Shuler definitely gets overlooked quite often when talking about TN QBs IMO. With Dobbs? I could maybe see that being he was a true DT that could absolutely kill a defense with his legs.

I think Clausen was very good but the hype and praise he gets is greatly exaggerated IMO.
Yeah almost certainly the best rushing QB we’ve ever had, but his passing ability is underrated as well. His passing rating his senior year was higher than any of Casey Clausen’s seasons. And while I think QB wins is a bogus stat not good for comparing players, if one would argue that Casey won more, it’s worth considering if we take out both of their (Butch and Josh’s) first years:
Butch W Dobbs as Starter: 22-9
Butch WO Dobbs as Starter: 7-13 (technically 7-11, Brady Hoke 0-2, but you get the idea)

3-2 in the playoffs vs the Patriots overall. Guess he didn’t press in those games?

He wasn't as consistently bad against them, especially later in his career. But he had some reaaaalllly bad ones. And I'm not only thinking of playoff games.

He wasn't as consistently bad against them, especially later in his career. But he had some reaaaalllly bad ones. And I'm not only thinking of playoff games.
I have no idea why people continually rely on anecdotal evidence when there is so much quantitative evidence they could consider. Picking Casey over Peyton (and I’m not sure if you specifically said this, but just in general) because Peyton had a rough few games when pretty much every statical factor (including win percentage!) favors Peyton is mindblowing to me

Reactions: 901Vol
Lol. Wrong. Clausen played against UF 3 times. Here are the scores of those games.

2001- 34-32. His stats 168 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs.

2002- 30-13. His stats 285 1 TD

2003- 24-10. His stats 235 yards 1 TD and 1 INT.

So in 3 games against UF Clausen accounted for 21 points. Or roughly 30% of the points. Just stop. In 2001 without Stephens we get run ot of the building. In 2003, he was bailed out again by a RB.

This stupid notion of Calusen being this great QB against UF is ridiculous. The fact is in 2001 and 2003 he wasnt that good. The main reason we won those games was because of the RBs.

This whole thread was to prove you are actually Stephens and finally get you out of the closet.

Just admit you are him.

Stop pretending.

Just kidding......I think

Thread is cause I was bored.

But BigOrangeTrain would be a good name for him.

I have no idea why people continually rely on anecdotal evidence when there is so much quantitative evidence they could consider. Picking Casey over Peyton (and I’m not sure if you specifically said this, but just in general) because Peyton had a rough few games when pretty much every statical factor (including win percentage!) favors Peyton is mindblowing to me

You're absolutely right. The only time I'd go with anyone other than Manning is against Florida. I just don't trust him against the Gators. They were in his head.

Reactions: NEO
You're absolutely right. The only time I'd go with anyone other than Manning is against Florida. I just don't trust him against the Gators. They were in his head.
Manning and the offense scored 30 in the 1st half of the his sophomore year. Then the 1st series of the 2nd half a Fla DB put a monster hit on a Tn receiver that riled up the team and fans and it was a rout after that play. I believe UT was up about 30-21 and lost 62-37. You cannot blame Manning on that loss. He was killing it in the 1st half.

Reactions: tbwhhs

VN Store

Back