The Iceman vs Manning

Ice Man or Manning?

• Casey Clausen

• Peyton Manning

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was as big a PM fan as anyone else, but if you deny he had a tendency to try too hard and implode against Florida (and later New England at times), then you weren't being honest with yourself.

Yes it's a team sport: he didn't lose games by himself, and he didn't win games by himself - you can't have it both ways.

But against those two rivals, you could feel how tense he was. How badly he wanted to win. The second things started to go badly for them against those two teams, he started pressing. Making bad decisions on top of bad decisions. He just wasn't himself in those games.

I think he improved that tendency later on against the Patriots, however.

Casey wasn't as gifted physically, but damn he was hard to rattle.

Reactions: NEO
LOL, I still have doubts about you as a Vol fan. First PF and now Manning. Is this blue font or are you deliberately trying to rile people?
I’m as pro Phillip Fulmer as they get. In fact, my screen name is jab at the “Farr phulmer” hire Gruden crowd. Peyton is overrated. Shuler was better.

Oh... I'm going with Manning if the opponent is unknown. You have to. He's too damn good against almost any team.

Reactions: illvol
Some serious cognitive bias up in here. People think just because a couple things happened at memorable times that they are likely to happen again. Look at the body of work. Peyton won a lot of big games on both levels.

Peyton was 32-5 his last 3 years and Clausen was 39-10. Peyton put up bigger stats. What else do people need to see?
The only reason this question is being asked is because Peyton was 0-4 against Florida. Yes, he won other big games in college, and he won big games including SBs in the NFL. Football is also kind of unique in the sense that perhaps more than any other sport people like to single out a position and talk about the "record" of the person in that position, as though football is an individual sport. If people want to single out an individual for Peyton's 0-4 mark against Florida, I'd pick Fulmer, not Peyton. Spurrier absolutely, 100%, got in Fulmer's head and routinely outcoached him.

I think it's important to remember than within that 0-4 against Florida, Peyton's defense allowed 31, 62, 35, and 33 points. Yes, the offense totally laid an egg in 1994 (they failed to score a single point), but in the other years the offense scored 37, 29, and 20 points. That should have been good enough for Peyton to go 2-2 against Florida at worst, which is totally respectable.

Let's not forget that Peyton was 3-1 vs Alabama....

There's a very small chance of the opponent being Florida... I'm going Peyton.

Anyone going with Manning is fooling themselves.

The only thing this can possibly be based on is Florida

I happened to be in the stadium for all three of the years that Casey Clausen started against Florida. Two years he did a really nice job getting the snap from center and handing the ball off. One year, he couldn't do that. He also faced a Ron Zook team twice.

The only thing this can possibly be based on is Florida

I happened to be in the stadium for all three of the years that Casey Clausen started against Florida. Two years he did a really nice job getting the snap from center and handing the ball off. One year, he couldn't do that. He also faced a Ron Zook team twice.

Your point is valid. But I watched Manning lose to Fl 4 years in a row every which way possible and Bama was not very good during the Manning years so his wins weren’t that great.

Your point is valid. But I watched Manning lose to Fl 4 years in a row every which way possible and Bama was not very good during the Manning years so his wins weren’t that great.

There are certain myths in all of this. One, I already mentioned. People conveniently leave out the 2002 game with regard to Clausen.

Another myth is that Manning was 0-4 against Florida. Todd Helton started the 1994 game.

If it’s Florida you lose.

Just saying.

Lol. Wrong. Clausen played against UF 3 times. Here are the scores of those games.

2001- 34-32. His stats 168 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs.

2002- 30-13. His stats 285 1 TD

2003- 24-10. His stats 235 yards 1 TD and 1 INT.

So in 3 games against UF Clausen accounted for 21 points. Or roughly 30% of the points. Just stop. In 2001 without Stephens we get run ot of the building. In 2003, he was bailed out again by a RB.

This stupid notion of Calusen being this great QB against UF is ridiculous. The fact is in 2001 and 2003 he wasnt that good. The main reason we won those games was because of the RBs.

Lol. Wrong. Clausen played against UF 3 times. Here are the scores of those games.

2001- 34-32. His stats 168 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs.

2002- 30-13. His stats 285 1 TD

2003- 24-10. His stats 235 yards 1 TD and 1 INT.

So in 3 games against UF Clausen accounted for 21 points. Or roughly 30% of the points. Just stop. In 2001 without Stephens we get run ot of the building. In 2003, he was bailed out again by a RB.

This stupid notion of Calusen being this great QB against UF is ridiculous. The fact is in 2001 and 2003 he wasnt that good. The main reason we won those games was because of the RBs.

Another way to look at it would be in 2 of those 3 games the offense would only have needed 14 and 11 points to win. It's pretty damn helpful when the D keeps the other team from scoring much.

It's February on Volnation. No debate is too stupid.
ummmm this one is....It is like saying you need to buy a gun for self-defense do you buy a 22 or a 9mm. There is no comparison between the two. Unless you're defending your home from squirrels.

Not to mention that Casey didn’t have as good of a backfield, WR Corp, or defense as Peyton did during his time. If you’re talking Pro career, then yeah, Peyton developed into a really good QB. However, his pro career is overrated as well.
Either way, give me Shuler over both of them in college.

Reactions: CINCYVOL
You got one game.

You have no idea who the opponent is and your soul is on the line, eternal heaven or hell.

The opponent could be any team. Florida, Bama, Ga....

You don’t know the opponent until kick off.

You have to pick either Casey or Peyton as your QB.

Who you pick?
If i knew it was Fla im taking Clausen

Reactions: NEO
Not to mention that Casey didn’t have as good of a backfield, WR Corp, or defense as Peyton did during his time. If you’re talking Pro career, then yeah, Peyton developed into a really good QB. However, his pro career is overrated as well.

Obviously you dont know the rosters of TN football very well during those years.

You really don't know what you are saying here.

VN Store

Back