The Grill and BBQ thread

I had the 28. Perfect size for me. Just found that it was more work than I wanted for just me. The smash burgers were unbeatable though. Now I do them on my gas grill with a pan.

I miss it at times and it's a good addition to the outdoor cooking situation. I miss it much more than my BGE.
The problem I've found is that it's way too hot to use it from April til October. And cleaning and seasoning after cooking is a pain.

Anyone build UDS or know anyone?
I've seen them used in competitions, and I've seen them win. You can find plans all over the web. If you don't want to invest much, it is a good solution. The guys I know that built them spent around $500 each. If you are going to build one, I highly recommend the style with the long air intake pipe that attaches at the bottom, slightly below the coal bed. If you really want to get creative, add a BBQ Guru to one and have a charcoal smoker that can be controlled like a pellet grill. My recreational go to is a Rec Teq 700. These guys build great pellet grills with outstanding customer service. They are pricey but worth every penny. I have a pull behind stick burner for competitions and I've been able to get very similar results with the Rec Teq.

Reactions: Volsdeep4
I've seen them used in competitions, and I've seen them win. You can find plans all over the web. If you don't want to invest much, it is a good solution. The guys I know that built them spent around $500 each. If you are going to build one, I highly recommend the style with the long air intake pipe that attaches at the bottom, slightly below the coal bed. If you really want to get creative, add a BBQ Guru to one and have a charcoal smoker that can be controlled like a pellet grill. My recreational go to is a Rec Teq 700. These guys build great pellet grills with outstanding customer service. They are pricey but worth every penny. I have a pull behind stick burner for competitions and I've been able to get very similar results with the Rec Teq.
You sound like a man with a lot of knowledge! I’ve been seeing the custom builds online and people actually do them for side gigs. Your rec Tec, can you get the smoke infused into the meat? That’s my knock on them but you say similar results to a stick burner

I can achieve great smoke flavor with my Rec Teq. There are many kinds of pellets on the market, so its just like cooking with wood and/or charcoal. I tend to use what is called "xtreme smoke" mode a good bit. It basically holds a temp of around 180 F and imparts more smoke than at higher temps. Don't get me wrong, it does well at other temps too. Here is a link that gives you Rec Teq specific things. I would imagine most pellet grills would offer similar features and capabilities. I love Rec Teq because their factory and store is less than 10 minutes from my house and we can usually get great deals. Click the link and choose "Discover" for more info.

Best Wood Pellet Grills & Smokers | recteq

Reactions: Volsdeep4
So, I've got a family with some particular beef eaters that do not enjoy meat that is tough at all. We have several cuts from our half cow that I'm not sure what to do with.

Any recommendations on using the sirloin and round steak cuts, in particular?

So, I've got a family with some particular beef eaters that do not enjoy meat that is tough at all. We have several cuts from our half cow that I'm not sure what to do with.

For the sirloin, use a mallet and/or acid based marinade. make fajitas, use it in a stew, chili, grill it and slice thin for a salad. Once you get it tenderized it's not bad making something you would not do with a good cut. I have vacuum sealed it in the marinade before.

A long oven braise would break those cuts down pretty darn well. Get a nice dark roux with onion and bell pepper going when they are done braising, and add the meat back with a little beef stock and have a dandy dish of cajun steak and gravy over rice. You can also put a decent simmer on them in the skillet with the stock to break them down, then add the roux. With patience, round steak can be a good eat. My MIL could always make a $2 round steak into a melt in your mouth steak n gravy meal.

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back