The Grill and BBQ thread

Awesome! Was looking at that one too. They have that B380 on sale for $399. Was the main reason I was considering it. The 410 would be at the top of what I could spend. It definitely has more bells and whistles than the 380. I like how it has 2 probes and wifi. Let me know how it goes.

Pretty overwhelmed looking at what's out there and sorting it all out. Especially surprised by the pricing on a lot of them.

Anyone else have any suggestions on an entry level pellet grill for a greenhorn?

You can get an Acorn (Maybe by Chargrill) at Lowes for $300-400. Insulated version of a BGE. Pretty care free and efficient charcoal smoker. Not much tending if you make sure the vents are set right. I use a 14" barrel smoker. My son uses the Weber Kettle grill to smoke some things, and he uses a Masterbuilt electric mostly for brisket and salmon.

Reactions: KptVFL
Same frustration I experience remembering when I passed on a Komodo Joe at Costco for $300. 😤

Wow! Bet you've been kicking your **s for a while over that!

Price aside, how's that pellet been treating you? Still working? Been relatively trouble free?

Sorting it all out and not sure how important all the wifi and extra bells are on some of the more expensive ones.

Reactions: butchna
Wow! Bet you've been kicking your **s for a while over that!

Price aside, how's that pellet been treating you? Still working? Been relatively trouble free?

Sorting it all out and not sure how important all the wifi and extra bells are on some of the more expensive ones.
Very happy! If I was an actual pitmaster, it would be limiting. But for what I undertake, it’s simple, easy to use and perfect for 16 LB briskets and pork butts.

Very happy! If I was an actual pitmaster, it would be limiting. But for what I undertake, it’s simple, easy to use and perfect for 16 LB briskets and pork butts.

Good to hear! Gonna watch for sales and likely pull the plug on something by mid June.

Need to step up my game!

Reactions: butchna
I've only used a large BGE. 200 degrees. 275 seems like the outside woould be over cooked, but others might have success.
I like to use my WSM a lot. Throw an onion in coals and let the meat drip into coals. That smell takes me waaay back.
But I’ve seen a lot of the smoking shows and what not. These guys pretty much all cook it at 275. So I just didn’t know if it was just a time crunch thing

I like to use my WSM a lot. Throw an onion in coals and let the meat drip into coals. That smell takes me waaay back.
But I’ve seen a lot of the smoking shows and what not. These guys pretty much all cook it at 275. So I just didn’t know if it was just a time crunch thing
I've always done mine in the 250 range on the KJ. Target temp 190.

Used the Sweet Baby Ray’s competition ribs method on babybacks last week for a friend’s birthday. Ribs have been my white whale…never got them right. Not this time! They killed! Basically do your rub (I used mustard as a binder even tho it didn’t call for it), salt and pepper heavily and smoke them at 275 bones down for 2.5 hours. Remove and foil with more rub, butter pats, brown sugar, honey and a dab of apple juice on both sides. Close up foil and place it back in the smoker (meat side down) for 30 minutes. Only step I skipped was opening the foil and saucing them boat style and letting them sit for 10 minutes. Wife requested them for Mother’s Day and she’s never been impressed by any of my previous forays with ribs.

VN Store

Back