The Grill and BBQ thread

Complete noob when it comes to smoking meat and I don’t cook much, but I love to eat so I want to get a smoker when we move into our new house this summer. I’m thinking I want a Traeger. Should I go for Pro or Ironwood? Family of 4.

Get the biggest one you can afford. I have been at this a long long time. I have never wished I had a smaller smoker or grill. Just my honest opinion.
I slightly disagree....but only speaking from the egg grills aspect (never owned a smoker). Depending on if you entertain or have a large family, the large or classic size (18") will be plenty for most families of 4 or smaller. The XL takes substantially more charcoal in my experience, and would be a waste for quite a few people.

I slightly disagree....but only speaking from the egg grills aspect (never owned a smoker). Depending on if you entertain or have a large family, the large or classic size (18") will be plenty for most families of 4 or smaller. The XL takes substantially more charcoal in my experience, and would be a waste for quite a few people.
I also have a Large BGE. It is plenty for a family of four. When it comes to pellet smokers, the bigger the better. Size doesn't seem to mean more pellets. My Louisiana Competition smoker is huge. If I use the bigger side chamber for a bunch of pork butts or racks of ribs it will use a little more pellets than if I only use the main chamber. I love that smoker.

Reactions: Beagle Bill
Just ordered a recteq. First pellet smoker so I am excited. Always cooked off an offset but just don't have the time anymore with a toddler running around.

Which one did you order? I've been contemplating a pellet smoker/grill for a while and those seem to be good ones. That RT-B380 Bullseye is catching my eye. Seems like it will do a lil bit of everything and not bankrupt me. Lol

Which one did you order? I've been contemplating a pellet smoker/grill for a while and those seem to be good ones. That RT-B380 Bullseye is catching my eye. Seems like it will do a lil bit of everything and not bankrupt me. Lol
I ended up going with their new 410 patio legend. I wanted to test how I would like one without breaking the bank lol. So far it's been good. True test will be this weekend when I smoke two butts.

Reactions: KptVFL
I ended up going with their new 410 patio legend. I wanted to test how I would like one without breaking the bank lol. So far it's been good. True test will be this weekend when I smoke two butts.

Awesome! Was looking at that one too. They have that B380 on sale for $399. Was the main reason I was considering it. The 410 would be at the top of what I could spend. It definitely has more bells and whistles than the 380. I like how it has 2 probes and wifi. Let me know how it goes.

Pretty overwhelmed looking at what's out there and sorting it all out. Especially surprised by the pricing on a lot of them.

Anyone else have any suggestions on an entry level pellet grill for a greenhorn?

Awesome! Was looking at that one too. They have that B380 on sale for $399. Was the main reason I was considering it. The 410 would be at the top of what I could spend. It definitely has more bells and whistles than the 380. I like how it has 2 probes and wifi. Let me know how it goes.

Pretty overwhelmed looking at what's out there and sorting it all out. Especially surprised by the pricing on a lot of them.

Anyone else have any suggestions on an entry level pellet grill for a greenhorn?
Zgrills and Traeger are the 2 I hear the best about, other than Recteq. I looked at them pretty hard for a while but decided I couldn't give up charcoal.

Zgrills and Traeger are the 2 I hear the best about, other than Recteq. I looked at them pretty hard for a while but decided I couldn't give up charcoal.

I've been looking at them as well. Whatever I go with I'm looking pretty much entry level pricing. I do have to sleep at night and value my life. Lol!

I've had my 2 burner Weber gas grill for probably 20 years and it's never let me down(replaced burners and grates once). Just looking to get into smoking and with the kids and ball and such, a pellet grill looks like a good place to start due to the ease of it.

Reactions: JCHateSteve

they say the 380 is solid too. I went with recteq because of the stainless steel they build their grills with. Their customer service is second to none as well. I ordered it Wednesday morning and it was on my doorstep Saturday. Took me 15 minutes to put together.
I looked at so many brands but they all felt so cheap.

I've been looking at them as well. Whatever I go with I'm looking pretty much entry level pricing. I do have to sleep at night and value my life. Lol!

I've had my 2 burner Weber gas grill for probably 20 years and it's never let me down(replaced burners and grates once). Just looking to get into smoking and with the kids and ball and such, a pellet grill looks like a good place to start due to the ease of it.
They are great for easy of use. I use a Weber kettle and a pit barrel cooker. The pbc is pretty set and forget too. It doesn't have any moving parts to break either. I don't think you can really go wrong with one of the 3 brands mentioned though. You might also look at the gravity fed charcoal smokers from Master Built too.

Reactions: KptVFL
Got one. Nice quality. My smoking game hasn’t taken off because it’s a bear getting supplies around here. Academy is my go to for wood chips and hardwood charcoal and that’s a production. Finally invested in a Pit Boss pellet smoker from Walmart (wife’s insistence), and also replaced my 6 year old Char-Broil propane grill with a Cuisanart upgrade. 5 burner with a smoking tube. Maiden voyage planned for tomorrow on the pellet smoker if the damn rain stops!
View attachment 330159View attachment 330160

Good grief. Looking back through these old posts of pellet smokers to try to get some ideas. That same smoker is $397 now!

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back