The Grill and BBQ thread

Talk to me about these. I've only done baby backs.

"what are baby back ribs?" Baby back ribs are cut from where the rib meets the spine after the loin is removed from the pig .
The upper ribs are called baby back ribs, because they are shorter in relation to the bigger spareribs, NOT because they are from a baby pig!

St. Louis-style spare ribs are the meatier ribs cut from the belly of thehog after the belly is removed. They are usually trimmed down by cutting away the hard breastbone and chewy cartilage, otherwise known as connective tissue. St. Louis-style ribs are flatter than baby back ribs, which makes them easier to brown. There is a lot of bone but also a higher amount of fat, making them very flavorful.

I like both, but you have more cook time on St. Louis because they are just a bigger rib all aorund. You cannot graduate to master smoker unless you have added St. Louis cut ribs to your arsenal. I think you'll enjoy the difference. I can detect a slight difference in flavor. It's a choice though. Some folks will only do them. Some will only touch BB's. My wife only does beef cause the pork has a natural chemical that gives her headaches, unless it's a processed pork like hams, bacon and sausage.

Last edited:
Kroger $2.99/lb St Louis Ribs this week… drop some favorite recipes, rubs, techniques

For ribs, I like to spread a coat of mustard, as many of on here do. Then a layer of Killer Hogs All Purpose. Follwed by KH pork rub. Kick it up with some heat if you like. When the edges just start to pull from the bone we pull them. Lay out a piece of foil large enough to wrap. put down a run of brown sugar and squeeze butter and honey. Lay the rack on top, and repeat on other side. WRap up an return to smoker for another 1.5 hours or so till meat has pulled from bone properly. This is our go to method for smack your biiiaaaatch ribs. If i plan ahead, I will do the mustard, all purpose, and brown sugar and wrap and fridge overnight. Then add the rest of the rub prior to smoking. If I do this, I skip the wrap process with the brown sugar. Overnight with a coat of brown sugar does something right to the ribs.

So it looks like we are going to buy a flat top griddle before the end of the year. The last time I looked at them Blackstone was pretty much the only game in town. Now there are a whole bunch out there. Anybody have a recommendation? There are only 3 of us. But we do entertain some. Is the 2 burner enough, or should I go for 4?

I just bought the 22” blackstone from Walmart.com. 215.00 I think. I like the hell out of it. More than enough room to cook and still be portable.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Butt question: was thinking about serving BBQ at my Florida tailgate. If I put it on Friday morning, finish it hopefully by 9-11 p.m., will it stay warm and safe to eat wrapped in a cooler until after noon on Saturday? Is there a better option (wrap in a very low oven, put it a crock pot, etc)?

Butt question: was thinking about serving BBQ at my Florida tailgate. If I put it on Friday morning, finish it hopefully by 9-11 p.m., will it stay warm and safe to eat wrapped in a cooler until after noon on Saturday? Is there a better option (wrap in a very low oven, put it a crock pot, etc)?

I did a pork butt a few weeks ago, put it in the fridge and just reheated it in the oven for lunch the next day. I didn’t really notice a difference between straight off the smoker and reheated honestly.

Whatever it is you’re preparing, have a disposable drip pan underneath. After the resting, add beef stock to the drippings and keep it warm. Worked great with my last brisket and pulled pork.

Anyone ever had success with gator aside from frying it? Would like to include it in tailgate fair, but I'm not taking a fryer and oil.

Reactions: hjeagle1vol
Anyone ever had success with gator aside from frying it? Would like to include it in tailgate fair, but I'm not taking a fryer and oil.
I wasn't the one doing the cooking but the only other way I've ever eaten it was cajun rubbed tail meat cooked on skewers over a smoking hot grill. Definitely not the most tender bite of all time but damn good.

I wasn't the one doing the cooking but the only other way I've ever eaten it was cajun rubbed tail meat cooked on skewers over a smoking hot grill. Definitely not the most tender bite of all time but damn good.
When I've grilled it in the past, it's always been tough and chewy.

I wonder if I could make an air fryer work... that would be doable with my generator.

When I've grilled it in the past, it's always been tough and chewy.

I wonder if I could make an air fryer work... that would be doable with my generator.
Apologies, should have thought to mention that tail meat was marinated in an lemon juice based marinade for at least an hour prior to grilling to greatly reduce (but not completely eliminate) the chewiness.

Really??? Recipe?
Brine gator overnight in favorite brine.
Gator can be tricky. It can dry out easily so I cook at 200-225 degrees.
Take a knife along the gator tail on both sides and open the meat up. Top and bottom. Remove the fatty layers. Gator fat doesn't render well and gives the meat a swampy taste.
Rub inside with favorite seasoning. I use a combination of cajun seasoning and pork rub. Close gator tail back up and smoke.
After the first hour, cover entire tail in cheesecloth soaked in garlic butter. Baste every half hour in garlic butter. This is what keeps it from drying out.
Remove at internal tempurature of 165. Tail meat should pull off similar to a pork butt.

Sometimes it gets a bbq sauce dressing.
Sometimes I stuff the tail with a mixture of boudain, cream cheese and jalepeno.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
Brine gator overnight in favorite brine.
Gator can be tricky. It can dry out easily so I cook at 200-225 degrees.
Take a knife along the gator tail on both sides and open the meat up. Top and bottom. Remove the fatty layers. Gator fat doesn't render well and gives the meat a swampy taste.
Rub inside with favorite seasoning. I use a combination of cajun seasoning and pork rub. Close gator tail back up and smoke.
After the first hour, cover entire tail in cheesecloth soaked in garlic butter. Baste every half hour in garlic butter. This is what keeps it from drying out.
Remove at internal tempurature of 165. Tail meat should pull off similar to a pork butt.

Sometimes it gets a bbq sauce dressing.
Sometimes I stuff the tail with a mixture of boudain, cream cheese and jalepeno.
Circa how long total for tails? Love the stuffing idea. Just cut a line down the top, then sideways to remove fat, stuff, and tie?

Circa how long total for tails? Love the stuffing idea. Just cut a line down the top, then sideways to remove fat, stuff, and tie?

Tail only? Probably 3 to 5 hours. Maybe less. Check often though. I usually smoke 15 lb gators and try to stay close to 200 degrees. You can dry one out easily.

I ommitted sausage in the stuffing ingredients. Andouille is a good choice.

Yes. Feel for the bone and cut down both sides of it. Do the same on the bottom. There's usually more fat on the bottom but there's a really nice tenderloin under that fat.

I don't bother tying it back up when I stuff.

Doc for your question about the way to keep the bbq good for the next day, I will smoke on Friday pull off Friday evening let it cool, pull it add some of the juice back to the meat, store in an aluminum pan covered with foil, Saturday morning 45 minutes before you leave place it in the oven, I would stir it 25 and 35 minutes in, this would be for a 8 to 10 pounder.
For gator when I worked at a Cajun restaurant I would blacken the gator. I usually would get a cutting board and mallet, cover the gator with plastic wrap and beat it fairly thin, then marinated it with lemon juice water and a little salt. Use a flat grill with a very little oil and use blackening season on it.

Reactions: butchna
A little disappointed in what Shrimp Dock had available. I did get some pork and gator sausage and packaged "filet of gator," which is frozen but looks like smaller chunks. I may have no choice but to brine, cajun season, and grill on skewers

VN Store

Back