The Grill and BBQ thread

Don't make a rookie mistake and trim your brisket, most of the fat cooks out of it anyway.
This was a 18.5 pounder.View attachment 379958

Cooked this one for 15 hours at 220.
Nice looking brisket. I've started cutting out the hard, thick pieces of fat and rendering it down and then refrigerating it the night before. During my cook I'll throw the rendered fat back on top of the brisket every 2-3 hours until I start to get a good bark.

Nice looking brisket. I've started cutting out the hard, thick pieces of fat and rendering it down and then refrigerating it the night before. During my cook I'll throw the rendered fat back on top of the brisket every 2-3 hours until I start to get a good bark.
I cut off some of the bottom fat after I have placed the brisket in a cooler to rest it. I then render that fat and make brisket gravy.

Why do you think that? I can still dial the airflow down to do low and slow on butts and turkeys.
Me too, and yours looks like mine. I have had an after market gasket for about 3 years. It's just waiting to get installed. I was using a thermometer that had a wire that had to lie across the gasket. That caused too much of a gap to get it down to 160-175 which is what I use for fish.

Thanks Boca!
I've never trimmed a brisket and only had 1 fail in over 15 years of cooking them.
I’m going to try it your way…someday. Something about the entire investment makes me want to remove excess globules of fat. What DO you use before slapping it on the smoker. I use worchestshire sauce to bind it and then salt, pepper and a prepared rub.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
We cook a lot of pork tenderloin. Grill, smoker, crockpot, oven, delicious and pretty healthy. What sandwiches do you make them into?
Nothing special, just slice them fairly thin and add whatever you like in the cheese, lettuce, tomato, onions, etc. I prefer to microwave it for a quick hit so it’s warm

I’m going to try it your way…someday. Something about the entire investment makes me want to remove excess globules of fat. What DO you use before slapping it on the smoker. I use worchestshire sauce to bind it and then salt, pepper and a prepared rub.

I don't go too crazy on it. Just cut the hard fat out and any 'huge" globs of the soft...and silverskin. I simply make a paste of beef bouillon paste/ soy/ worchst/ red wine (any combo) and season with Kosmos @ Texas Beef Texas Beef Rub

As far as the investment, I get it. It's a lot of money for a tough cut of meat. After ordering from SRF a few times, the price didn't scare me as much. There's only 2 of us and you can only eat it for so long. Invite friends the next day for left overs.

I salt and pepper, usually put on some type of rub and then use apple juice inside a foil wrap. Sits for 24 hours put it on the smoker without the foil wrap. Smoke it for around 12 hours and wrap again until it is done. The key i have found is low heat. I stay around 220.

I don't go too crazy on it. Just cut the hard fat out and any 'huge" globs of the soft...and silverskin. I simply make a paste of beef bouillon paste/ soy/ worchst/ red wine (any combo) and season with Kosmos @ Texas Beef Texas Beef Rub

As far as the investment, I get it. It's a lot of money for a tough cut of meat. After ordering from SRF a few times, the price didn't scare me as much. There's only 2 of us and you can only eat it for so long. Invite friends the next day for left overs.
So an 18 pounder usually drops about 4 pounds, I cut the smoked fat that is left off the bottom and render it for gravy. I then cut it into 3 fairly equal sections and depending on who's coming over or whats going on i will vacuum seal at least 1 section maybe 2 and freeze. When thawing put in a crockpot on low with some water for a few hours. Just like when you pulled it off the smoker.

Did you guys make it up here for the aTm game?

Did you guys make it up here for the aTm game?
Wife wouldn’t travel. We were slated for the Oklahoma game that was cancelled. She wants to go to a Vandy game in Nashville one year…don’t ask me why. As is, wouldn’t mind LSU next go round. As far as Knoxville, she’s game but thinking maybe next season. She’s going to Cali in a couple of weeks and we’re planning on checking out the Albuquerque Balloon Festival in October.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
I salt and pepper, usually put on some type of rub and then use apple juice inside a foil wrap. Sits for 24 hours put it on the smoker without the foil wrap. Smoke it for around 12 hours and wrap again until it is done. The key i have found is low heat. I stay around 220.
It doesn’t get pasty sitting in juice? I haven’t done a full brisket yet. I’ve always bought a 14 to 16 lb and cut it into 3’s and freezing two. Before succeeding somewhat with the Pit Boss pellet smoker, I used the oven method and always had good results. 2/3 portions of my last brisket came out great but the third had some gamey sections, so I must’ve messed up sealing that freezer bag. When I prepared that last one, I did the salt, pepper and the rub I had been using and slapped it on the smoker. Some say when you let the brisket sit overnight to pat it dry. I didn’t and it had a pasty outside. I got the bark and what was edible was delicious.

Anybody try this? Ordered a bottle today and it’s going on some ribs Tuesday.
B7BB8AC4-A4D9-43CC-AE88-6D08989D955F.jpeg

It doesn’t get pasty sitting in juice? I haven’t done a full brisket yet. I’ve always bought a 14 to 16 lb and cut it into 3’s and freezing two. Before succeeding somewhat with the Pit Boss pellet smoker, I used the oven method and always had good results. 2/3 portions of my last brisket came out great but the third had some gamey sections, so I must’ve messed up sealing that freezer bag. When I prepared that last one, I did the salt, pepper and the rub I had been using and slapped it on the smoker. Some say when you let the brisket sit overnight to pat it dry. I didn’t and it had a pasty outside. I got the bark and what was edible was delicious.
No I don't recall it becoming pasty.

VN Store

Back