The Goodyear Cotton Bowl: #9 Missouri (10-2) vs #7 Ohio State (11-1) (8PM ET, ESPN)

It helps when you play the bowl game with pretty much your whole team from the season and play against a team that had several key players not playing. Just saying.

These 6th year seniors from Covid made football interesting but I’m over it now. Let’s see how well coaches can prepare a kid within 3-5 years and may the best coaches win - that’s why I wish Saban would hurry up and retire. He never had to lean on COVID to get his star players.

Georgia’s Bennett would have been a one year phenomenon if he couldn’t have played his sixth year. We never would have heard about Missouri’s Schrader if not for covid eligibility either.

OSU had virtually their entire team from the season on the field tonight. Harrison was the only major opt out and several guys who will be drafted in a few months started.

I've worked in the Columbus media for 13 years. My impression is Day was bowing to pressure from the boosters/fan base, who didn't like McCord not being the dual threat passer they are use to. Day was waffling so McCord wanted a guarantee that he would start in 2024. It was absolutely a matter of the fans and ultimately the team running him off.

The portal is open to January 2nd. Day could've easily talked McCord into staying. Even if he was only considering transferring, it would've been a nice audition for other programs. He was run off.

Something isn't right in the OSU football program right now and their longtime AD (who survived Tressel and Meyer scandals) is retiring in 7 months. Things are about to get very bumpy in Buckeye County.
I believe that someone did the research and posted that between opt outs, transfers, and injuries, Ohio State had 24 players missing. It's hard enough losing your qb's, but that's a lot to overcome.

Reactions: Okie
Geez.. the entitled gonna whine. If what I saw on the screen last night is true, that's only Day's 8th loss at OSU, and (I think) 57 wins. The spoiled fanbases crack me up. If Saban ever has a down year, the Bama meltdown will be similar. And to Day's credit, a program where the NFL wants your players and you DON'T make it to the tournament bracket, yes, it's not as important of a game and they leave. Georgia might just have the same kind of "meh" attitude today against Florida State. And just the opposite with FSU, they have something to prove. That'll be worth a watch I think. GO FSU.

This was a great PR game Mizz but the reality is they played the third string qb and the wr who made up 40 percent of the offense sat out. And this bowl game was boring as hell.
And Mizzou was missing both of their 1st string linebackers (Hopper and Bailey) and a 1st string corner (Ennis Rakestraw, who will be in the NFL). At linebacker, Mizzou started a transfer from Wyoming (Chuck Hicks) and a safety playing out of position (Tristan Newson). So enough of this bullsh*t about Ohio State rolling out some sort of jv team. McCord wasn't that great to begin with, or he wouldn't have been run off. MHJr is a stud, but Mizzou had an All American corner (Abrams-Draine) that would've been covering him. Ohio State's defense didn't have any opt outs of note. And Mizzou's defensive line was dominating the OSU offensive line all damn game. Even before the qb got injured. Bottom line: Ohio State got out coached and out played. Even with a few opt outs, OSU still has 4 and 5 star players all over their depth chart.

For me....that OSU/Mizz game was hard to watch. Seemed both teams were stuck in mud. Mizz finally worn down OSU enough to make a few plays. I don't make it a habit of hating teams and I don't "hate" Mizz but have to admit....Drinkowitz is difficult to pull for.

OSU was missing 3 major starters on offense with McCord, MHII, and Eichenberg. And then at the start of Q2, they were forced to play a true freshman that had no business being on that field last night. He looked worse than Nathan Peterman. For reference, imagine if Nico was sitting out and then Moore got hurt on the first series of the Iowa game. Would anyone expect us to put up more than 7 points with Navy at QB?

I don't know how anyone can put this on Day, other than by maybe not having a more experienced back-up QB. But they were averaging about 6 yards carry before Brown went out. They were moving the ball offensively. When he got injured, they averaged less then 4 ypc the rest of the game and had several 3 and outs.

OSU was down on offense but they weren’t a jaugernaut this year even with MHII.

Their true freshman QB didn't come close to playing as bad as Peterman did at Florida. He just hadn't gotten any snaps.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrueOrange
Have you seen Day's record? And his recruiting classes?

You fire a guy with that level of success and you're dooming yourself to some really bad future hires.
Sure I’ve seen his record, but what’s his record against the one team if you’re the OSU coach you have to beat? On top of that, what hardware has he brought them? Day may be a great coach, but looking at the big picture, if I pulled for the buckeyes, what I saw last night would have taken me into the “fire Day” crowd.

Sure I’ve seen his record, but what’s his record against the one team if you’re the OSU coach you have to beat? On top of that, what hardware has he brought them? Day may be a great coach, but looking at the big picture, if I pulled for the buckeyes, what I saw last night would have taken me into the “fire Day” crowd.
I dont think his coaching ability is anywhere near the talent level of his team.

I dont think his coaching ability is anywhere near the talent level of his team.
Agreed. Ryan Day was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple. If it wasn't for the team he coaches for and all the access to high level recruits as a result of that silver and red helmet, he would've been fired a long time ago. "Ohio against the world." What a jackass. You're coaching at a blueblood program, dickweed.

I believe that someone did the research and posted that between opt outs, transfers, and injuries, Ohio State had 24 players missing. It's hard enough losing your qb's, but that's a lot to overcome.
They were wrong. OSU had virtually every first teamer on the roster playing last night. A lot of people here are pretending the Buckeyes roster was a shell of what it was during the regular reason.

The bloom is off the rose in Columbus.

They were wrong. OSU had virtually every first teamer on the roster playing last night. A lot of people here are pretending the Buckeyes roster was a shell of what it was during the regular reason.

The bloom is off the rose in Columbus.
Interesting.

I found this list...

Here's everything you need to know about Ohio State's roster for the Cotton Bowl.

Not playing

• QB
    • Kyle McCord
  • WR
    • Marvin Harrison Jr.*
    • Julian Fleming
  • RB
    • Chip Trayanum
    • Evan Pryor
  • OL
    • Jakob James
    • Vic Cutler
  • LB
    • Reid Carrico
  • S
    • Kye Stokes
    • Cameron Martinez
  • CB
    • Jyaire Brown
    • Ryan Turner
  • DE
    • Omari Abor
  • PK
    • Parker Lewis

Never said that. But if people are going to talk smack, mix it up and do it beforehand as well. Be confident in yourself. Show you can give the other team bulletin board material and still beat them.

Drink on the other hand will compliment opponents, play nice, and make self depricating jokes before the game. Then afterwards will talk trash.
Sounds like his cousin Beamer at South Carolina.

Interesting.

I found this list...

Here's everything you need to know about Ohio State's roster for the Cotton Bowl.

Not playing

• QB
    • Kyle McCord
  • WR
    • Marvin Harrison Jr.*
    • Julian Fleming
  • RB
    • Chip Trayanum
    • Evan Pryor
  • OL
    • Jakob James
    • Vic Cutler
  • LB
    • Reid Carrico
  • S
    • Kye Stokes
    • Cameron Martinez
  • CB
    • Jyaire Brown
    • Ryan Turner
  • DE
    • Omari Abor
  • PK
    • Parker Lewis
Sure, but how many of those guys were on the two deep? A few for sure, but all of them? No.

Interesting.

I found this list...

Not playing

• QB
    • Kyle McCord
  • WR
    • Marvin Harrison Jr.*
    • Julian Fleming
  • RB
    • Chip Trayanum
    • Evan Pryor
  • OL
    • Jakob James
    • Vic Cutler
  • LB
    • Reid Carrico
  • S
    • Kye Stokes
    • Cameron Martinez
  • CB
    • Jyaire Brown
    • Ryan Turner
  • DE
    • Omari Abor
  • PK
    • Parker Lewis
McCord and Harrison are the only first team starters on this list.

With the opt-out situation getting worse every year, bowl results are increasingly meaningless. I'm super-pumped that
OSU lost--but they were missing their top tackler, one of the best WRs in the nation AND their starting QB. And then their backup QB
got hurt, which necessitated playing their 3rd string QB. You lose three/four of your top players and your team is going to be demostrably weaker.

The OSU fan base is huge and with it not being a playoff game, most Buckeye faithful stayed back in Columbus. The Arena District, High Street and University District bars were packed Friday night. Coincidentally, it was the quietest night on my police scanners this week (while the game was on).

Reactions: VolNExile
Interesting.

I found this list...

Not playing

• QB
    • Kyle McCord
  • WR
    • Marvin Harrison Jr.*
    • Julian Fleming
  • RB
    • Chip Trayanum
    • Evan Pryor
  • OL
    • Jakob James
    • Vic Cutler
  • LB
    • Reid Carrico
  • S
    • Kye Stokes
    • Cameron Martinez
  • CB
    • Jyaire Brown
    • Ryan Turner
  • DE
    • Omari Abor
  • PK
    • Parker Lewis
I see 2 difference makers....
So what's your point??

I see 2 difference makers....
So what's your point??
Guys wanted to stay and play. That’s all. Even wanted to play injured. Just thinking that there is a positive atmosphere created at Mizzou and the guys bought in and wanted to stay to the end. May be worth looking into what’s going on there, that’s all.

VN Store

Back