The Golf Thread

I really hope that every single one of you win the lottery at least once…..
Augusta National is like heaven on earth. You have to go one time. It’s a memory that you’ll never forget!

The new additions to this weeks LIV tournament: Charles Howell III, Henrik Stenson, Paul Casey, Jason Kokrak. More of the same. I just don’t understand LIV trying to sell me that a tournament full of pre Champions Tour non-PGA competitive golfers, is something I want to watch.

The new additions to this weeks LIV tournament: Charles Howell III, Henrik Stenson, Paul Casey, Jason Kokrak. More of the same. I just don’t understand LIV trying to sell me that a tournament full of pre Champions Tour non-PGA competitive golfers, is something I want to watch.

Bubba Watson appears to have a contract to start in the fall.

11 LIV tour folks suing the PGA claiming not being allowed to play on the PGA tour will cause “irreparable harm to their ability to pursue their profession”. So let me get this straight. With one swipe of the pen they immediately make more money than they would ever make on the PGA tour not just from now on but for an entire 30-40 year PGA tour career, and they get to do it at their profession of playing golf. They could finish dead last every LIV tournament and it would make no difference. Don’t even have to practice or try. Sounds like the LIV tour is a much better opportunity to pursue their profession. League packed full of narcissists, from my perspective. Hope they all stay there and no one continues to actually show and report on their competitions.

11 LIV tour folks suing the PGA claiming not being allowed to play on the PGA tour will cause “irreparable harm to their ability to pursue their profession”. So let me get this straight. With one swipe of the pen they immediately make more money than they would ever make on the PGA tour not just from now on but for an entire 30-40 year PGA tour career, and they get to do it at their profession of playing golf. They could finish dead last every LIV tournament and it would make no difference. Don’t even have to practice or try. Sounds like the LIV tour is a much better opportunity to pursue their profession. League packed full of narcissists, from my perspective. Hope they all stay there and no one continues to actually show and report on their competitions.
Seriously . . . Go play wherever you want. Make your own decisions about how you're comfortable making money. But don't force the hand of the tour and then try to have your cake and eat it too.

Reactions: GBOx2
Seriously . . . Go play wherever you want. Make your own decisions about how you're comfortable making money. But don't force the hand of the tour and then try to have your cake and eat it too.
While I don't disagree with the sentiment, this speaks to why legally they are doing this. This whole situation, like many in the world today, is a lawyer's dream.

1659560217887.png

Reactions: volfanbill
While I don't disagree with the sentiment, this speaks to why legally they are doing this. This whole situation, like many in the world today, is a lawyer's dream.

View attachment 477506
Seems like an easy fix for the PGA. Start having the top 125, and the newbies from Korn Ferry, sign an annual contract, giving them a few bucks to become employees. Still gotta earn the rest of their salary on the merit pay system out on the course

Seems like an easy fix for the PGA. Start having the top 125, and the newbies from Korn Ferry, sign an annual contract, giving them a few bucks to become employees. Still gotta earn the rest of their salary on the merit pay system out on the course
I don't think the PGA Tour wants to go anywhere near becoming a for-profit corporation.

The LIV Tour is garbage, but that doesn't mean that the PGA Tour is in a good position here. They don't control the majors. They don't pay as well as LIV. The events the PGA Tour runs, with a couple of exceptions, are comparable in to from LIV events.

At this point, the only hope the PGA Tour has on not having to make further competitive changes is having The Masters state that guys on LIV won't be allowed. The other majors seem to be OK with it, at least at the moment.

Then the golfers could form a players union. I think that’s part of the reason the PGA Tour has kept them independent contractors.

They could finish dead last every LIV tournament and it would make no difference. Don’t even have to practice or try. Sounds like the LIV tour is a much better opportunity to pursue their profession. League packed full of narcissists, from my perspective. Hope they all stay there and no one continues to actually show and report on their competitions.
Genuine question, not being a smartass....

What makes it acceptable for other professional athletes (NFL, MLB, NBA, any soccer league, ect) to have players sign million dollar contracts to play and compete, but it is not acceptable for golfers to do so? Those professional athletes in other sports, as a team instead of individual, could finish dead last and it would make no difference. They would still be getting paid. What makes it dishonorable for golfers to pursue the same security that other professional athletes get?

Is it because it's the Saudis and LIV? The separate it from them if so. What if it were a league created by a group without questionable motives based in the US that wanted to sign golfers to pre-paid contracts to compete on their tour? Would that be equally reprehensible?

Genuine question, not being a smartass....

What makes it acceptable for other professional athletes (NFL, MLB, NBA, any soccer league, ect) to have players sign million dollar contracts to play and compete, but it is not acceptable for golfers to do so? Those professional athletes in other sports, as a team instead of individual, could finish dead last and it would make no difference. They would still be getting paid. What makes it dishonorable for golfers to pursue the same security that other professional athletes get?

Is it because it's the Saudis and LIV? The separate it from them if so. What if it were a league created by a group without questionable motives based in the US that wanted to sign golfers to pre-paid contracts to compete on their tour? Would that be equally reprehensible?

I don’t believe the economics of golf equate to the economics of the other sports. Go make your cash, no issue there. But LIV is completely subsidized by other business(es) and not a stand alone competitive business model.

I don’t believe the economics of golf equate to the economics of the other sports. Go make your cash, no issue there. But LIV is completely subsidized by other business(es) and not a stand alone competitive business model.
Absolutely they don’t make the same revenue. Around 1.5 billion is what I’ve seen online. Maybe 1/7 of MLB/NBA and even less than that for NFL. LIV is different of course. That’s why I also mentioned an alternate pro sports league created in the US.

It just seems like there’s a lot of hostility towards golfers getting guaranteed pay when it’s commonplace in other sports. I’m just wondering what’s driving it.

VN Store

Back