The Golf Thread

Come on. That was awesome lol. It’s the one place on tour where that would happen.

Then that should be reason to stop putting grand stands there. If it was a hole out on the 72nd/last hole to win then maybe it would be cool. They filled the bunkers with beer cans and held up play for every other player who obviously dreads dealing with the over the top antics on that hole. It was pretty ridiculous.

Ortiz today.

I gotta believe they will put things in place to stop the throwing of stuff due to safety concerns. I’m all for the beer showers, yelling but not down with throwing stuff into the field of play.

It’s fun until someone gets hurt.

Ortiz today.

I gotta believe they will put things in place to stop the throwing of stuff due to safety concerns. I’m all for the beer showers, yelling but not down with throwing stuff into the field of play.

It’s fun until someone gets hurt.
I don't think it's a big deal, but I can kind of see your point. Put all the beer in plastic cups. Problem solved.

That kind of scene is great for golf though IMO.

The guys taking their shirts off . . . not so much lol.

Reactions: 95 Vol Alum
I don't think it's a big deal, but I can kind of see your point. Put all the beer in plastic cups. Problem solved.

That kind of scene is great for golf though IMO.

The guys taking their shirts off . . . not so much lol.

Don’t get me wrong, best thing in golf after the Ryder Cup and Masters Sunday. IMO

Played the North course at Torrey Pines last month on our vacation to SD. Such an amazing course. Truly breath taking. We actually played it on the last day before they closed for the Farmers Insurance Open so it was in tournament condition. Rough was thick, about 5-6 inches deep. Lost 2-3 golf balls just to the rough.

I'm just now getting back into golf after about a 5-6 year hiatus. I probably only played a couple times a year over that span. I'm honestly surprised I played Torrey Pines as well as I did. Shot under 90. Short game was awful, but didn't hit any drives OB. Approach shots were pretty decent overall. Even had 2 eagle putts (which I promptly 3 putted). Drove the green on number 7, but I was on the upper tier about 45 feet from the hole and the hole was on the lower tier. Actually ended up 4 putting that one because I left my first putt on the upper tier. Super tough pin location.

Looking to buy some new clubs. May go the pre-owned route, but I'm currently looking some of the direct to buyer options like Ben Hogan and Haywood. Anyone play of those brands?

Reactions: Rishvol
Played the North course at Torrey Pines last month on our vacation to SD. Sch an mazing course. We actually played it on the last day before they closed for the Farmers Insurance Open so it was in tournament condition. Rough was thick about 5-6 inches deep. Lost 2-3 golf balls just in the rough.

Just now getting back into golf after about a 5-6 year hiatus. Probably only played a couple times a year over that span. I'm honestly surprised I played Torrey Pines as well as I did. Shot under 90. Short game was awful, but didn't hit any drives OB. Approach shots were decent. Even had 2 eagle putts (which I promptly 3 putted).

Looking to buy some new clubs. May go the pre-owned route, but I'm currently looking some of the direct to buyer options like Ben Hogan and Haywood. Anyone play of those brands?
The Hogan stuff is intriguing because I grew up playing Hogan. I recently ended up getting a set of Apex 21s at Callaway Preowned and love them. I traded a set and it couldn't have been easier.

Reactions: Carp
The Hogan and the Haywood's both look great. I love the old school style they have chosen. The Hogan black irons are really sharp.

Anyone use bladed irons? Any recommendations there?
I just don’t want to work that hard to have a good time lol.

I’m a 3.8 and swing it about 106 with the Driver. I was hitting Mizuno JPX800 and tested a bunch of clubs and got fit for MP-20s. When I was swinging well, I could shape shots and flight the ball like I hadn’t done in years. But after about 3 months of up and down numbers, I threw up my hands, took a bath on the trade in and got a set of Callaway Apex 21s and it was like the light instantly came back on. The Players Distance category definitely agrees with me.

Reactions: Matt2496 and Carp
Blades just look so clean, lol. I really want to like them. Maybe I'll do a combination. Blades on my short irons and cavity backs for the rest.

Anyone use bladed irons? Any recommendations there?
These aren't blades, but right now I'm using Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal irons and absolutely love them. They have very strong lofts yet launch higher than my old irons. Also, I've gained ~15 yards with these compared to my old ones. The sweet spot with these irons is slightly more towards the toe, which is good if you're like me and mishits tend to be more towards the toe of the club.

Also, what are yall's opinions on this new Saudi Golf League? Apparently Bryson and Phil may join. I guess if you're in it purely for the money this would be a good option. However, I would think that most would more interested in the legacy you can obtain by playing on the PGA Tour.

There's also a lot of potential ethical issues surrounding human rights violations with the Saudi government.

Also, what are yall's opinions on this new Saudi Golf League? Apparently Bryson and Phil may join. I guess if you're in it purely for the money this would be a good option. However, I would think that most would more interested in the legacy you can obtain by playing on the PGA Tour.

There's also a lot of potential ethical issues surrounding human rights violations with the Saudi government.
Anything that keeps Dechambeau on the other side of the ocean is fine by me.

Anything that keeps Dechambeau on the other side of the ocean is fine by me.
Everyone gets so mesmerized over him being able to hit it 350+. Jack Nicklaus could hit it over 340 yards with a persimmon wood driver and balata ball. Translate that into today's distance and technology and that would probably be well over 400 yards.

I just think he's a bit over-hyped from that perspective

Everyone gets so mesmerized over him being able to hit it 350+. Jack Nicklaus could hit it over 340 yards with a persimmon wood driver and balata ball. Translate that into today's distance and technology and that would probably be well over 400 yards.

I just think he's a bit over-hyped from that perspective

Jack hit plenty of 300+ yard drives but his average was only about 275ish. Obviously equipment has made a huge difference but so has training and fitness. Hard to say where a JN would be distance wise in his prime compared to todays guys but I’d guess it would just be middle of the pack. All these professional guys today can bomb it.

Jack hit plenty of 300+ yard drives but his average was only about 275ish. Obviously equipment has made a huge difference but so has training and fitness. Hard to say where a JN would be distance wise in his prime compared to todays guys but I’d guess it would just be middle of the pack. All these professional guys today can bomb it.
I still think Jack would be near the top if not at the top of driving distance today if you gave him modern golf equipment in his prime. JMO though.

It would be interesting if someone scientifically could come up with a formula that could convert average driving distance with the old equipment to what it would be with today's equipment.

I think Phil indirectly killed it with his comments. By pointing out their specific atrocities, the players serious about it realized they’d be attached to that if they joined the league. I think it’s gone before it starts.

VN Store

Back