The Golf Thread

I remember when Bob and Cindy first came to Greeneville, and Bob started as our pro. I saw Chris grow up and played with him when he was a kid. I have a good Chris story. He was about 14 and I was older. I don't know how much because I don't know how old Chris is now. I was maybe 30-35?

Anyway, Chris and John Chapman, who is a little older than Chris, were playing against me and my brother. We come to #9 (short par 5) at Link Hills and we were 1 up on them. Chris was still young and didn't hit the ball too far, but he could score. He was really good inside 75 yards then. I am on in 2 about 10 feet above and to the right of the hole. I have a downhill, right to left slider and the green is fast that day.

Okay, Chris jars it for eagle 3 from a downhill lie about 80 yards out and he and John are jumping around and laughing because they think they have beaten us on the hole and tied the match. My brother plays up , makes a useless birdie, and I get over my putt. If I baby it, it would break about 2 feet in 10. I decide that I have nothing to lose, so I took most of the break out and jam it in. I hit it so hard that I think the hole moved when the ball hit it. I have never seen a grin wiped off somebody's face so quickly, as from those 2. I have never been a good putter, so they figured I would miss.

Also, Walt Jr. beat me in the Championship Flight there one year when he was on the U.T. golf team. He went on to win the club championship, and I won 3 more matches to win the consolation for the first round losers. Bob Dibble played with Bruce Lietzke, me, my brother, and his friend (the one that played at ETSU) when Lietzke came to town to buy a 1968 426 Hemi Plymouth Roadrunner from me.

Who is the ex? I will delete your answer right away if you post it fairly soon.
That’s such a cool story. I’m real good friends with Chris and Walt Chapman. Chris is my age. 49/50

That’s such a cool story. I’m real good friends with Chris and Walt Chapman
I missed the ex if you posted. I have played a fair amount of golf with the Chapman boys, Walt Jr, John and Willie back in the day. As a matter of fact, I watched the Tenn 1985 Sugar Bowl game at their house. What was Chris's brother's name? He was adopted and looked oriental.

I missed the ex if you posted. I have played a fair amount of golf with the Chapman boys, Walt Jr, John and Willie back in the day. As a matter of fact, I watched the Tenn 1985 Sugar Bowl game at their house. What was Chris's brother's name? He was adopted and looked oriental.
Can’t remember his brother

That’s such a cool story. I’m real good friends with Chris and Walt Chapman. Chris is my age. 49/50
Another good Walt story is that my brother drove Junior (that is what we called him because his dad was Walt or Doc) to Sea Island Georgia to take a lesson with Davis Love Jr. who later died in a plane crash. Junior was going for a lesson, so my brother took one too, and said that he hit the ball better down there after the lesson, than he ever did. Back then, they didn't use video, or at least Love didn't. That was probably in the 80's.

Another good Walt story is that my brother drove Junior (that is what we called him because his dad was Walt or Doc) to Sea Island Georgia to take a lesson with Davis Love Jr. who later died in a plane crash. Junior was going for a lesson, so my brother took one too, and said that he hit the ball better down there after the lesson, than he ever did. Back then, they didn't use video, or at least Love didn't. That was probably in the 80's.
I’m old school. Video sucks.😎

How often do you see these guys?
I think her dads name was Bruce

I don’t see Walt much, but talk to Chris fairly often. I’ll start playing in TPGA section events again next year when I turn 50, so I’ll see them often.

I think her dads name was Bruce

I don’t see Walt much, but talk to Chris fairly often. I’ll start playing in TPGA section events again next year when I turn 50, so I’ll see them often.
Were the parents of your wife divorced before he died? I seem to remember that he dated a girl that I later dated not long after he died, unless I'm mistaken. I remember her talking about Bruce , and I think it was him, dying at age 46 ish , and that would have been about 1983. Tell Junior that "Dander's" brother said hi! That is what Jr. always called my brother, and I think Chris would probably know that too. Or, he may remember who called him the Crisco Kid.

Reactions: peaygolf
Were the parents of your wife divorced before he died? I seem to remember that he dated a girl that I later dated not long after he died, unless I'm mistaken. I remember her talking about Bruce , and I think it was him, dying at age 46 ish , and that would have been about 1983. Tell Junior that "Dander's" brother said hi! That is what Jr. always called my brother, and I think Chris would probably know that too. Or, he may remember who called him the Crisco Kid.
Yes. He died young and they were divorced.

I’ll talk to Chris soon.
I’ll set up some golf for us soon! Peace

Yes. He died young and they were divorced.

I’ll talk to Chris soon.
I’ll set up some golf for us soon! Peace
Last post of the night. I just remembered that Chris also had a sister that was adopted. She and Tim must have been actual siblings because they looked alike. They were just a few years older than Chris, maybe 3 to 5, and may have even been twins. Good night.

Reactions: peaygolf

VN Store

Back