The Golf Thread

Headed to Myrtle Beach next week for an annual trip. This year we are playing 4 of the “Big Cats” courses across the border in NC. Anybody played them? What do I have to look forward to?

Whitworth_05.jpg

88 WINS! Sorry Tiger.:eek:

That's funny. About 50+ years ago, I quit playing for several months on a couple of occasions due to a case of the shanks.
That particular day was the last time I played there. There was lots of new home construction going on and the unsold building lots were overgrown. If you were not in the fairway, you were in 2 foot tall grass.

I took 5 yrs off. 2012-2017..........that count?
I have an interesting story about my deceased brother and golf. When he was in his early 20's, he was an asst pro at a local country club, and a pretty decent player. He got his amateur status back in the mid-1970's, and one day in the late 1980's, he holed out for an eagle on the 18th hole, about a 430 yard par 4, for a 68. At that time, it was before the big distance explosion, so it was a fairly long hole, and not an easy course to shoot 68 on. So, he decides that is a good shot to quit on, and quit cold turkey. He didn't touch a club for maybe 7 years. He was about 40 years old at the time.

About 1995, a new course opened in our town, and the head pro was a good friend of his, and later a pall bearer. The pro talked him into playing again. When this course first opened, it was very difficult, because they had narrow fairways and deep rough, and fast greens. They soon changed it, and made it easier because most average golfers couldn't play it.

So, the pro, my brother and I headed for the first tee, and my brother was playing with a set of cheap knockoffs that he borrowed from a friend, because he had sold his clubs, putter and all. As we approached the 1st tee, there was a group getting ready to tee off, so the pro said follow me, and we take off down the left side of the rough, and cut in front of them to start on #2. My brother takes a couple of practice swings, and hits his first shot in about 7 years.

He pars that hole (#2), and birdies 3, 4, 6, and then chips in from behind the par 3 seventh hole for another birdie. So, he is 4 under through 7 holes, and 6 under for his last 8 holes, if you go back 7 years, since he ended on an eagle. Anyway, he bogeys 8 and pars 9, leaving him 3 under with the first hole unplayed. He decided not to go back and finish. I don't think he ever played that well again after that day. He got a neurological disease which messed up his balance , and finally gave it up again. He died at age 67 from cancer and he had a progressive neurological disease which affected his speech and balance. When he could no longer play to the level that he thought that he should, he was done.

Reactions: peaygolf
I have an interesting story about my deceased brother and golf. When he was in his early 20's, he was an asst pro at a local country club, and a pretty decent player. He got his amateur status back in the mid-1970's, and one day in the late 1980's, he holed out for an eagle on the 18th hole, about a 430 yard par 4, for a 68. At that time, it was before the big distance explosion, so it was a fairly long hole, and not an easy course to shoot 68 on. So, he decides that is a good shot to quit on, and quit cold turkey. He didn't touch a club for maybe 7 years. He was about 40 years old at the time.

About 1995, a new course opened in our town, and the head pro was a good friend of his, and later a pall bearer. The pro talked him into playing again. When this course first opened, it was very difficult, because they had narrow fairways and deep rough, and fast greens. They soon changed it, and made it easier because most average golfers couldn't play it.

So, the pro, my brother and I headed for the first tee, and my brother was playing with a set of cheap knockoffs that he borrowed from a friend, because he had sold his clubs, putter and all. As we approached the 1st tee, there was a group getting ready to tee off, so the pro said follow me, and we take off down the left side of the rough, and cut in front of them to start on #2. My brother takes a couple of practice swings, and hits his first shot in about 7 years.

He pars that hole (#2), and birdies 3, 4, 6, and then chips in from behind the par 3 seventh hole for another birdie. So, he is 4 under through 7 holes, and 6 under for his last 8 holes, if you go back 7 years, since he ended on an eagle. Anyway, he bogeys 8 and pars 9, leaving him 3 under with the first hole unplayed. He decided not to go back and finish. I don't think he ever played that well again after that day. He got a neurological disease which messed up his balance , and finally gave it up again. He died at age 67 from cancer and he had a progressive neurological disease which affected his speech and balance. When he could no longer play to the level that he thought that he should, he was done.
Wow. That is a cool/sad story. Makes ya think.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
Wow. That is a cool/sad story. Makes ya think.
We were very close, and worked together until 5 p.m. and went to play golf at 5:01 almost every day until he quit playing. We hardly ever played on the weekends. He was my only sibling, and I miss him every day, even though it has been 4-1/2 years since he died.

Reactions: peaygolf
I feel ya. :confused:
Thanks. My brother's best friend played golf at ETSU, and he also died of cancer just a few weeks before he did. The 3 of us, plus a 4th played a lot of golf together. I haven't played but 9 holes in about 3 or 4 years. Most of the old gang is gone, now that I turn 70 soon. I just hit range balls, and chip and putt a little. I can't play as well as before, plus most everybody I played with died or quit.

Thanks. My brother's best friend played golf at ETSU, and he also died of cancer just a few weeks before he did. The 3 of us, plus a 4th played a lot of golf together. I haven't played but 9 holes in about 3 or 4 years. Most of the old gang is gone, now that I turn 70 soon. I just hit range balls, and chip and putt a little. I can't play as well as before, plus most everybody I played with died or quit.
I know I asked before, where you live?

My ex is from there. Played Link Hills several times. Friends with the Dibbles.
You and I will play soon!
I remember when Bob and Cindy first came to Greeneville, and Bob started as our pro. I saw Chris grow up and played with him when he was a kid. I have a good Chris story. He was about 14 and I was older. I don't know how much because I don't know how old Chris is now. I was maybe 30-35?

Anyway, Chris and John Chapman, who is a little older than Chris, were playing against me and my brother. We come to #9 (short par 5) at Link Hills and we were 1 up on them. Chris was still young and didn't hit the ball too far, but he could score. He was really good inside 75 yards then. I am on in 2 about 10 feet above and to the right of the hole. I have a downhill, right to left slider and the green is fast that day.

Okay, Chris jars it for eagle 3 from a downhill lie about 80 yards out and he and John are jumping around and laughing because they think they have beaten us on the hole and tied the match. My brother plays up , makes a useless birdie, and I get over my putt. If I baby it, it would break about 2 feet in 10. I decide that I have nothing to lose, so I took most of the break out and jam it in. I hit it so hard that I think the hole moved when the ball hit it. I have never seen a grin wiped off somebody's face so quickly, as from those 2. I have never been a good putter, so they figured I would miss.

Also, Walt Jr. beat me in the Championship Flight there one year when he was on the U.T. golf team. He went on to win the club championship, and I won 3 more matches to win the consolation for the first round losers. Bob Dibble played with Bruce Lietzke, me, my brother, and his friend (the one that played at ETSU) when Lietzke came to town to buy a 1968 426 Hemi Plymouth Roadrunner from me.

Who is the ex? I will delete your answer right away if you post it fairly soon.

Make that who is the ex, if you don't mind posting it, and I'll say got it, and you can delete right away. I won't quote you and leave it up.

VN Store

Back