The Gardening Thread

I don't do tabasco but i do make pepper vinager for greens. My favorite blend is Jalapeno, cayene, and Hot cherry. Pint jars stuffed with equal portions, covered with 3/4 cup white vinegar and 1/4 cup cider vinegar heated and about a palm of sugar dissolved and poured into jar. Set in cabinet for about 6 weeks till pepper colors turn.

You're my kind of person. We make that plus my wife makes pea relish that will make you slap yourself.

I almost cant eat greens without pepper sauce

Last edited:
Several small gardens. 5 tomatoes. like experimenting with different heirlooms each year. green beans. red/klondike/purple potatoes. watermelon and cantelope. yellow and zhuchinni squash. okra. broccoli, cucumber and peppers. Also planted blueberries and raspberry this year. Always lose my squash after first few days of picking. Nursery down the road has the best strawberries i ever ate, so I only tried my hand at that for 2 years.

My maters are Old German, German Johnson, Cherokee Purple, Pear Drops, and Better Boy just to make sure i have some plus they have great flavor.

What were the old heirloom striped tomatoes? I can't remember. I am not a big tomato fan, but I liked those as a kid.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

What were the old heirloom striped tomatoes? I can't remember. I am not a big tomato fan, but I liked those as a kid.

Did it look like this?

Big%20Zebra.jpg

Last edited:

Several Striped Heirlooms. One is Green German is green when ripe. Green Zebra. Mrs. Stripey. Old German. The stripes can be orange/yellow, yellow/red, or orange red. I like them. They have great flavor. Also like Jubilee. Deep golden yellow when ripe. Low acid/sweetish side. Wife ate that one up and she is not hte biggest tomato fan. Love tomato pies. That's why i started the heirlooms, so i could get good flavor blend in the pie and also tomato casserole.

something is eating my tomatoes. I go out there in the morning to pick and the ripe ones have been chewed on. Cat? Possum? Not sure but its annoying

Even though I don't smoke herb, I'm growing some just because I enjoy breaking stupid laws.

something is eating my tomatoes. I go out there in the morning to pick and the ripe ones have been chewed on. Cat? Possum? Not sure but its annoying

I've had birds peck mine before as well. Funny thing is I have a Rabbit or two that come up from the field and hang out in the yard. They just leave pellet piles but don't mess with my garden.

Sometimes you will find an old terrapin hidden somewhere in the tomato plants. Pick him up and give his jaws a good inspection. They may have tomato juice residue on them.

Count,

How much will that rain help your garden?

Much need here.

The ground still had a little moisture left from last Saturdays rain, but it was beginning to get dry again. It will help alot.

We got a crap load of rain today. I bet we got upwards of 3"

Picked a 5 gallon bucket of yellow squash and zucchini this morning. Putting up some in the freezer. Wife is going to make zucchini bread with the rest

Got home to see that my dogs have been digging in my garden- I re staked all my tomatoes- only time will tell. I was pissed.

OS13 Garden spot.

Attachments

• 2012-03-08_12-23-41_294-1.jpg
    2012-03-08_12-23-41_294-1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 6
  • gd12012-03-08_12-20-57_954-1-1.jpg
    gd12012-03-08_12-20-57_954-1-1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 4
  • gd32012-03-08_12-22-04_325-1-1.jpg
    gd32012-03-08_12-22-04_325-1-1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 6