The Gardening Thread

Thanks, I have a 9ft tall crawl space under the house I'm working on for Indore growing. Nothing to show yet. Will let you know.

Thinking of doing a vegetable garden...
I've got about a 30 by 60 ft section in the back corner of my yard, that wasn't sodded with the rest of the yard..

So I'm thinking of putting in a 24 x 48 ft garden, using railroad ties..Should I do 1 high or 2 high.
Would like to plant, Corn, Peas, and Green beans...Then a corner of Tomatoes, and Peppers to make salsa

I'm thinking I've got the rest of the summer and fall to get everything laid out and then plant next spring

Any suggestions or ideas

Thanks

Thinking of doing a vegetable garden...
I've got about a 30 by 60 ft section in the back corner of my yard, that wasn't sodded with the rest of the yard..

So I'm thinking of putting in a 24 x 48 ft garden, using railroad ties..Should I do 1 high or 2 high.
Would like to plant, Corn, Peas, and Green beans...Then a corner of Tomatoes, and Peppers to make salsa

I'm thinking I've got the rest of the summer and fall to get everything laid out and then plant next spring

Any suggestions or ideas

Thanks

Is the area down hill from where you mow?

there's a small slope, but nothing like where I ran through the fence

I'll still have to level the railroad ties

Anyone owned or used a stirrup or scuffle hoe?

Saw one on a Youtube video and I'm thinking of getting one looks like it does quick work on weeds.

Saw one on a Youtube video and I'm thinking of getting one looks like it does quick work on weeds.

I have the one that looks like a stirrup. It works great. Mine is about 30 years old and still in good condition, but my garden these days is only three 4'x15' raised beds. I use wire cages with metal steaks around tomatoes and peppers so I have to hand pull weeds that are inside those areas.
The other one looks like it would work also, but can you cut weeds while sliding the hoe forward?

I also use a Warren hoe if planting seeds in rows and when fertilizing. I use organic about once a month.

Reactions: 1 person
I have the one that looks like a stirrup. It works great. Mine is about 30 years old and still in good condition, but my garden these days is only three 4'x15' raised beds. I use wire cages with metal steaks around tomatoes and peppers so I have to hand pull weeds that are inside those areas.
The other one looks like it would work also, but can you cut weeds while sliding the hoe forward?

I also use a Warren hoe if planting seeds in rows and when fertilizing. I use organic about once a month.

Thanks

STAKES not steaks. OTOH, I might have a rib eye to celebrate Independence day.

I've had this now a week. I checked and my local Ace had one in stock and I absolutely love the thing!

Ace 57 in. Wood Long Handle Scuffle Hoe
pACE-1039635dt.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Tolya

After I posted earlier I realized I should have said it is my most used garden tool. Also pulling weeds by hand.
I also looked at mine and realized I have not sharpened it in about 10 years. I will soon.

Stirrup hoes are great. We use them all the time. Just keep a rake nearby to smooth out any bumps or dibbits after use. I also really like the hazel hoe.

Planted 7 Japanese maples last fall. Between 2-5' tall.
Interesting website/nursery. "Mr. Maple"
Excellent... what cultivars did you plant? some compact varieties I assume? We mostly get coral bark, youngblood, emperor 1, red dragon, crimson queen/king here in Austin but we also get a few dwarf lacy-leaf cultivars, like 'Waterfall', inaba shadare (sp?), tamukeyama . Im attempting standard acer palmatum (Jap Maple) from seed this year. Also we get most ours from Portland... is the Mr Maple nursery in Mendocino co, CA? How was the quality?

Excellent... what cultivars did you plant? some compact varieties I assume? We mostly get coral bark, youngblood, emperor 1, red dragon, crimson queen/king here in Austin but we also get a few dwarf lacy-leaf cultivars, like 'Waterfall', inaba shadare (sp?), tamukeyama . Im attempting standard acer palmatum (Jap Maple) from seed this year. Also we get most ours from Portland... is the Mr Maple nursery in Mendocino co, CA? How was the quality?
Mr. Maple is near Asheville, NC. My sister lives in Weaverville, and I like to visit the nursery to hand pick plants, although almost all of their sales are shipped.
I live in Nashville and look for cultivars that will thrive (hopefully) in hot humid summers. I want be home for a week, but the new ones that I recall are: Ryusen, ever autumn, bihou , moonfire, relish, orange dream, and koto no ito?
Already had siriyu, bloodgood and Verdis.
I would think that growing most Japanese maples would be challenging in Austin? I used to get many seedlings from a coral bark and a palmatum. I planted 15-20 in the woods in McDonald, TN about 15 years ago, but haven't been back to see if any survived.

Mr. Maple is near Asheville, NC. My sister lives in Weaverville, and I like to visit the nursery to hand pick plants, although almost all of their sales are shipped.
I live in Nashville and look for cultivars that will thrive (hopefully) in hot humid summers. I want be home for a week, but the new ones that I recall are: Ryusen, ever autumn, bihou , moonfire, relish, orange dream, and koto no ito?
I would think that growing most Japanese maples would be challenging in Austin? I used to get many seedlings from a coral bark and a palmatum. I planted 15-20 in the woods in McDonald, TN about 15 years ago, but haven't been back to see if any survived.
I think this is the one ran by two brothers?

They were on one of those PBS Gardening shows that is aired on Saturday mornings a few weeks back.

It is a challenge with the shallow & alkaline soil. You can give them a good shot in an understory/sheltered location, then use a raised bed or pitcher mound style to transplant. Luckily they have shallow root systems so they can be babied here and do quite well but still, site selection and use of soil amendments are key. There are some pretty sweet Japanese Maple gardens in ATX but usually higher end landscapes. In containers the dwarf varieties do well. I will keep a look out for the varieties you mentioned, maybe even try to convince our buyer to contact the guys. I think we are both in similar zones so there might be some luck with the vendor.

I have a garden as well, my only problem is the bermuda grass, it takes over everything.

I grow corn, satan's kiss peppers, habenero peppers, cayenne peppers, bush beans, squash, cucumber, lettuce, carrot, tomatoes and thai chilli pepper.

I also have some thornless blackberry and planted some blueberry bushes and grape vines this spring. Raspberries and another fruit tree are in the plans for next year.
You probably already know this, but, don't plant the Raspberries near the blackberries. They dont like each other.

Veggie garden in east Tn... when I lived in K-town, I turned most of my backyard into a garden. First 2 years I fought the clay and had to be very careful when I did the first tilling in the spring... wet or damp clay would make marbles that dynamite could not break up. Year 3 I borrowed a truck and went to the mushroom plant in Louden area (not sure it is still there) and bought a load of mushroom compost. This stuff has peat moss, horse manure and all the goodies mushrooms like, you even get the random horseshoe to add to your luck.

Added 8 cubic yards to that clay soil and tilled it in... it turned into black gold and gave me the best veggies I have every grown. Every other year I repeated this process. Recommend it to anyone fighting soil issues.

VN Store

Back